Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God
Default Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

I started this thread because the others were actually during the research stage. NOW, I'll actually....finally....be building all three of these tanks at once, so I figured a new thread was in order.

I will really be building six of these at one time, two of each type. A gentleman has contacted me to have all three built, so that's what this thread will concentrate on, BUT, he has decided that he wants his built from original kit parts where possible and has sent me a five gallon bucket's worth of original kit parts and decals for his builds, so his will proceed accordingly.

The other three will be built using my cast parts. This will give me an opportunity to do a comparison all through these builds with my cast pieces right along side the originals. Something I've never actually done before!

I'm looking forward to this project and, as usual, anyone interested is certainly welcome to join in. Either with a build of your own OR simply as conversation on a conversation forum.

LET'S DO THIS!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3TANKS.JPG (57.6 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-16-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

I can't wait. Get crackin'!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I can't wait. Get crackin'!
Great. The noobs here.

Ok Cat, listen..... I hope you are here to learn. Cat's generally walk all around and shed hair everywhere, so wipe your feet and wet your fur down BEFORE you come in. Also, we will NOT wait for you. This thread will be a Resin Illuminati exclusive and will cover things that have never been covered before on these tanks.....in detail, HERE AT OUR FORUM only. If I mention these builds anywhere else, the exclusivity will remain here!

"Now that the mutual bullshit is over", I'm glad you're here Dave! I will get crackin'!

Rob.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Here we go!

I have been sent three TAMIYA 1/25 British Army 46ton Medium Tank Chieftain model kits to use for these tanks. All brand new and recent releases. Two are kits #30608 and one is kit #56603.

The #30608 kits are a fairly recent release of this kit that is NON-Motorized. Although there are no motors included with this release, it is an EXCELLENT choice for these builds as it is one of the few kits that is a re-release of the sprue that was initially released in 1967. This is noteworthy because there are a couple pieces included in this kit that DO NOT show up in MANY of the vintage kit releases but ARE needed for these builds! We'll discuss those pieces when we get there. The main parts needed for these laser tanks is the entire chassis section of the Chieftain, built as per the instructions with one or two minor deviations, which we will ALSO discuss in a bit. I have already removed all the main components from the sprue for the chassis of the two 30608 kits needed and I have already noticed something that has somehow changed in these molds over the years. The front pulley/wheel for the tracks does not line up exactly right compared to the way it did in the old kits. I don't exactly understand that, but the inner half of this wheel is lining up 1/2 spoke off from the outer section of these. All the wheels in these Chieftain kits are two piece, with an inner and outer section combined to make each wheel. The forward most wheels have 9 spokes and have ALWAYS lined up so that these spokes were exactly lined up inner and outer and these do not.....for some reason. Now, it is no big deal AT ALL. These wheel halves are aligned by a small tab on the inner wheel half into a small slot on the outer half. Simply shaving that small tab off will allow these halves to be aligned anywhere you want. I'll do that and this small snag will be eliminated.

The rear wheels are aligning perfectly. These are WAY more important than the front. The rear wheels in the Chieftain kit have sprockets which engage INTO the tread and if there is an alignment problem with the rear wheels, this alignment tab MUST be removed and the wheel halves aligned perfectly or the tank will throw the tread continuously.

This is the ONLY problem with the tread coming off on some of the other, less expensive Chieftain kits over the years. These other kits were NOT TAMIYA.

The third kit sent to me was an even more recent release of the TAMIYA Chieftain. It is kit #56603 and is a full, four channel remote controlled version of this kit. This one will be used as the base for the "Eagle-Type" tank and I will be trying to incorporate as many of the features of that kit into functioning things on the laser tank. This has NEVER been done before, so I'll be learning along the way on this one myself and will CERTAINLY be very open to suggestions!

Here, I show the box art for the 30608 version of this kit and removing (I know, exciting! ) some of these parts.

Anyway, that is where this is. More later!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5359.JPG (223.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5356.JPG (252.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5357.JPG (251.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5358.JPG (275.1 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-14-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Void where permitted

modelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of Allmodelnutz Overlord Master of All

If you need some parts duplicated...count me in...I'd love to help out on this project !
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

This is exciting!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Thank you Ed! I believe I've got everything I'll need, I do my duplicating myself, but your offer has been filed buddy!

Sean, I really thought I was the only one 'excited' about these things!

Welcome guys!

Dave (The Cat)'s here too, but all he does is lurks.

Rob.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM

A small update here.

I have removed all the needed components from #56603 as well. This remote kit provides a new set of rear pulleys for the tread. The old set are still there as well and even though I said earlier that the rear pulleys were aligning perfectly, I spoke too soo. All three sets (although the ones in #56603 are not needed) are ever so slightly out of alignment. I'll try to show this in a picture, but I'm not sure I'll be able to yet. The front wheels line up exactly 1/2 spoke off even in this remote kit.

It also just occured to me that this 1/2 spoke off deal MAY be the way these are suppose to be if one were building the Chieftain kit as a model of the Chieftain? They have always been strictly for laser tank builds for me and the front spokes are certainly lined up on Mr. Bowers tanks, so something has changed in the kits over the years. This has to be the case. I own numerous of these kits, all vintage, and the spokes USED to line up. Like I say, this doesn't matter for the front spokes except in looks. I already know (through a process of owning so many of these Chieftains) that the kit Mr. Bower originally used was the TAMIYA kit #DT 108. There are numerous variations in the numbers on these vintage kits, but the one labeled DT-108 with NO OTHER numbers is the exact match Mr. Bower used on all three of the tanks he built for the series.

Here's a picture borrowed from the Space:1999 Catacombs to show what I'm even talking about with these wheels. I'll also add a picture in a bit of how these line up some 40+ years later in the SAME TAMIYA kits.

I've also shown here the box art from the remote version #56603 of this kit and some of the components needed. The pieces I show are what hold the springs from the suspension to the chassis body. These all need to be the simple shaped style from the kit. Many stock are the "L" shaped type I show close-up, so these have to be modified to match the simple shaped ones as I show in that last picture. That is actually one of the "L" shaped I have already trimmed.

Except for the inclusion of three or four small new sprues, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the actual Chieftain kit involved. ALL part numbers and sprue sections are identical with just the couple of new ones for some of the remote stuff.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheels.JPG (59.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5369.JPG (301.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5360.JPG (257.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5361.JPG (270.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5362.JPG (275.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5363.JPG (241.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5364.JPG (298.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5365.JPG (245.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Here's a couple pictures to illustrate just what the heck I'm trying to describe with these wheels.

I showed in those earlier pictures from the original screen used tanks that the front spokes were indeed aligned. Here is the alignment in these latest TAMIYA Chieftains. Now, like I say, I don't actually know what is correct for building these as Chieftains, but for these laser tank replicas, we'll need these spokes aligned. The tab I show has to go so that a new alignment can happen. Very easy.

Here's ALSO a couple of the slightly mis-aligned rear wheels. This is really the important fix! The tabs for aligning these is the same as those front ones, but these wheels HAVE to be aligned perfect or ANY of these kits will continuously throw the tread as the tank moves forwqard or backwards. As shown in the pictures, one is of the outer side of the wheel and the next picture is of the inner side and all I did was rotate the wheel 180 to take the picture. There are slots in the track links that the sprocket cogs go into as the tread moves. As you can (sorta) see in these pictures, just the slightest alignment problem and the track ALREADY doesn't mesh with the track slots just to take these pictures! This has to be fixed. Also, these latest releases have rubber track shoes already attached to the track links. This has always been a feature of these kits, but the earlier releases had those rubber pads as seperate pieces that the builder had to attach. They are NOT on the studio models, so NOW, they have to go. Another easy job. Just slip something (like a small screwdriver) under each pad and pull it right off. Most will tear the small attachment nubs off which will still be in each track link, but they push right out once the pads are gone.

More to come!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5375.JPG (330.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5376.JPG (273.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5377.JPG (268.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5378.JPG (304.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5379.JPG (286.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5381.JPG (295.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5382.JPG (303.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4383.JPG (167.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5370.JPG (234.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5371.JPG (233.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5372.JPG (298.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5373.JPG (267.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5374.JPG (251.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Just as a point of reference, here's 'What's new' included only in the remote controlled kit. This next part won't have anything to do with a normal laser tank build. This just shows the remote part. Of course, there is a hand-held controller too.

Everything you see in this picture actually makes up into a small gearbox package which then resides in the chassis. The parts in the upper right of this picture are what get added to the tank itslef for the remote functions there. They are ONLY add-ons to what is otherwise the same TAMIYA 1:25 Chieftain it's always been.

The upper right "new" sprue is labeled "Q" in the kit and there are two. The gray one at the bottom of the picture is labeled as "M" and is a single sprue.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5384.JPG (272.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 56603Chief_0006.jpg (330.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Rob, is there room in the greeblies to embed a stripped-down laser diode? I mean, that would be PF cool. I've stripped some down to almost nothing and they've still worked perfectly. Quite cromulent. But I wonder if there's a button/channel on the remote for that.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Rob, is there room in the greeblies to embed a stripped-down laser diode? I mean, that would be PF cool. I've stripped some down to almost nothing and they've still worked perfectly. Quite cromulent. But I wonder if there's a button/channel on the remote for that.
Maybe one of the extra buttons could activate the radar....and the other the diode?

VERY DAMN CROMULENT!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Utterly cromulent.

That very idea alone, gives me wood.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, I suppose it couldn't hurt to figure out a way to make the remote do it all, if it will. Dave, there IS a couple extra slots, but I will certainly need some of you guys to help me with figuring anything out. I'm not any kind of remote control guy. I wanted to build a fully functional F-15 Eagle remote plane one time, but having absolutely NO flight experience even with a $50 job you can get at Sears, I figured it may not be wise to practice with $15,000.00 worth. Y'all have to admit though, that baby woulda looked COOL when it plunged itself four feet into the ground!

Anyway, y'all help me figure out what to do and I will. Sean, if you think I could get a cromulent laser....whatever that is.....to work on this, I'm open to that too! The only thing I told the man who ordered these builds was, I would certainly work on making the remote part work for as much as I could, so I'm MORE than certain if it went so far as to have a working laser, he'll be very pleased! The pieces that make up the gun can EASILY be hollow and/or modified some to accept a few bits, so let me know what you have in mind there.

Along with a close-up pictures of the brain box, I've included a couple of those VHE-20 caps too. It's as good a time as any to start comparing my cast parts to the originals! There are three different caps pictured. The gray and the clear are from EMA and the tan ones are mine. EACH tank build will need 16 of these, one for each wheel.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5400.JPG (252.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5399.JPG (247.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5398.JPG (213.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5395.JPG (304.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5396.JPG (318.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5397.JPG (235.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Fuck me! Those VHE-20 caps are used on Galactica. Right there on the nose cap.

Thanks bro. There's another mystery solved!

If I find one of those stripped-down laser pointers, I'll take a pic and post it. I used them in my MSc and they were mounted on the ends of 1/4" acrylic rods. The total size, I'd estimate, was a cylinder about 7mm in dia and 10mm long, or so. If you think they'd fit, I'd tear-down some new ones and send them to you for the builds.