Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Hey George! Doing good here, been hitch-hiking around the Ukraine most of the last year. Rather enjoyed Chernobyl...nice and quiet there. After a while you find out you can walk into a dark room and you don't even need a flashlight! Thought about hooking up with a hot Ukrainian chick until I found out they look like Andre the Giant, so I came back home.

I hear that if you talk real nice to Rob he'll show you all kinds of hardware.

You mean the Space 1999 stuff?!

The Ukraine? Sounds cool.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8105U1WY9ro

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 05-07-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Man I miss that show!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Thought about hooking up with a hot Ukrainian chick until I found out they look like Andre the Giant, so I came back home.
Maybe around Chernobyl they do. The girls from Kiev certainly don't. Or do you see some of Andre in Milla Jovovich?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

jay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauly View Post
Maybe around Chernobyl they do. The girls from Kiev certainly don't. Or do you see some of Andre in Milla Jovovich?
It could have been the "marriage service" I went to...they sent me an email about all these hot women just waiting to be married, all I had to do was give'em a credit card number and I'd be all set. I met one girl, Peggy, who was nice but her beard was really thick. Wasn't long after that I decided to move on.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Hey fellas,

Alright, back to it. The Dome tank in the series utilised one of the two seats from the REVELL 1:24 Gemini kit. The seats in the kit are hollow in the rear and once cut away from the double seat configuration, you end up with a 3/4 seat. That's what was mounted in the original Dome tank. I decided to deviate from the 3/4 seat and make a complete single seat that should look better than the 3/4 would. It does look betterr just sitting here, so it should look better for display in the model. Here's what I combined for the finished seat.

The Flat Top Tank uses several parts from the 1:24 AIRFIX Harrier kit. These didn't need much modification except that the mounting tabs got trimmed and I added the back of the seat so that the cast pieces wouldn't be hollow. The ejection rail had to be shaved from the rear seat cover. I show it here the way the pieces are intended to be installed in the Harrier build. The seat frame gets turned around backwards for the laser tank, however and I show that here.

Here are a couple of the finished resin parts.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5774.JPG (277.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5775.JPG (282.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5776.JPG (281.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5777.JPG (271.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5778.JPG (277.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5779.JPG (260.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5780.JPG (278.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5781.JPG (273.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5782.JPG (263.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5783.JPG (265.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5784.JPG (306.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM
My ass is itchy...

Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Another update! I agree, WOW!

As I eluded to earlier, this is taking some extra time along the way because I'm making some sketches, drawings and diagrams along the way as well as any templates I mentioned. I'm also making masters and casts of parts that are time consuming to make, OR, would be nicer to have done on a lathe. Many don't have lathes, I know, so I've turned some grooves and and made a few masters of some of the parts that need lathe treatment.

Here's a couple examples of some of that:

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5832.JPG (256.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5833.JPG (299.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5834.JPG (290.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5835.JPG (287.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5836.JPG (242.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 06-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM

As has also been mentioned, the Flat-Top and Dome Tank builds get seats added. This wouldn't normally mean a thing from the way they were originally built by Mr. Bower, since the seats were there in the original models. However, several of the builds I'm doing require MUCH more room under the body than normal. The original bodies were held on to the tanks by screws through the bottom of the chassis into wooden blocks attached to the upper body's.

I needed to come up with something a little different that would give me almost 100% of the interior space, yet still hold the body of the tank as secure as the originals.

Hmm?

What I came up with turned out to work VERY well, so much so that it has become the way I'm attaching ALL my builds body to the chassis! IT IS NOT original, but this new method can not be seen in any way from the outside AND gives much more room inside.

The parts I found to use is the access flap from a VCR cassette tape.

Each end of the VCR flap gets trimmed and cleaned up so that it looks like an "L" bracket. An "L" bracket made out of some tough, thick plastic! It glues very well does the job very nicely. Here are some already attached to a tanks body:

Since the TAMIYA Chieftain chassis gets built just a bit different than stock when used for a laser tank, there are numerous "holes" left unfilled in the chassis. I mount these clips inside the tank chassis's where they correspond to one of these holes that already exist in the tanks chassis, so they are barely noticable. All you see (instead of a hole now) is the head of a small screw. Since I found a household item to use for this, I actually feel better about deviating from the originals here...

And besides...

VCR's are most certainly "vintage" now!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5827.JPG (260.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5828.JPG (256.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5829a.JPG (66.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5830.JPG (240.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5824.JPG (295.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5825.JPG (299.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5826.JPG (299.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Here is a Chieftain chassis built to use with a laser tank without an upper body attached and the tread removed. Here are some of the holes that are no longer used:

Here those holes are with the tread installed. Most are blocked from view by the tread:

Here, is what's visible after the body gets installed. They are almost completely blocked from view. This happens to be a Dome tank I used for this display. I wanted the screw to be very easily accessed for when the body needs to be removed, so I used one of the lower unused holes between the rear set of wheels for the rear clips I made, so this screw head can be seen when viewed just right, but is still tucked away under the tread well enough that it's hidden nicely. The front mount is completely hidden and the only way to see the screw at all is from an upward angle view WHILE you hold the tread up also.

The Flat-Top works out even better. The angle for the tanks side skirts is different than that of the Dome tank at the rear and allows for the higher unused hole on the chassis to be used. On a Flat-Top build, both screws are completely hidden behind the tread.

Here are a couple showing how concealed the attachment screws are on an assembled Dome tank:

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5844.JPG (298.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5845.JPG (246.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5840.JPG (221.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5842.JPG (307.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5841.JPG (222.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5843.JPG (301.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM

The next hurdle I'll have, I still don't have a 100% cure for. I plan to make the radar dish "rotate" on the Eagle type tank builds.

This has proven to be a challenge simply because I'm not exactly sure what type of mechanism I will find that will work, but I do have one to start with......which wasn't easy to find to start with.

This is a turntable used for a "cell phone" display. It initially rotated one complete revolution, stopped and then went one revolution the other way and vice-versa. The 'half-way-around' thing was easy to fix. There is a 'stop' attached to the turntable gear. I removed that and now it goes round and round and round until it kills the battery in a few hours. This thing most resembles a replacement clock (to me) and runs on 1-AA battery. It turns at approximately 8 revolutions per minute and watching on spin a screwdriver around for about 20 minutes, seems just about perfect for the speed. I will need to figure out what I'll need to do to try and install it in the builds to turn the radar. It seems to only work with the shaft up and no other way, so there will be more about this mod later. Here's what I've found and will try to use:

There are several turntables to choose from, but NONE that are really any different internally, with most having gone to 'solar-powered' and I had to really search to find a few that still used batteries. If this doesn't work, I may be at a loss.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5837.JPG (321.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5838.JPG (248.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5839.JPG (251.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM

Now, last update for the day.

Just to show that I have been doing something, I'll do what I couldn't do earlier. As with the Flat-Top, here's a comparison of two tank builds for the Dome tank comparing my cast parts to the originals and two builds showing both.

As always, you guys let me know what you think!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5800a.JPG (67.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5801a.JPG (56.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5802a.JPG (49.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5803a.JPG (59.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5804a.JPG (60.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5805a.JPG (50.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5806a.JPG (66.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5807.JPG (313.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5808a.JPG (64.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5809.JPG (310.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5810.JPG (304.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5811.JPG (289.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5812.JPG (334.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5813.JPG (313.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5814.JPG (335.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5815.JPG (297.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5816.JPG (296.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5817.JPG (294.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5818.JPG (256.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5819.JPG (246.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5820a.JPG (68.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5821a.JPG (85.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5822a.JPG (90.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5823a.JPG (61.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Here's most of the gang so far!

Why in the world I forgot to place the spheres on the rear of each Dome tank, y'all tell me. We'll both know, but they are done and ready to mount. I attach them with screws through the bottom.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5799a.JPG (67.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 AM

One side note here. If anyone happens to like the VCR clips and would like to try it......

You'll ALSO get 5 great screws to use.

Rob.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 AM

A ran across a problem during the building of the Dome tank that will use the original kit parts you see in those pictures.

I spoke to the gentleman who sent me those parts, hoping, that he maybe had used a newer release and that I would have a kit to mention that would no longer be good for this build, but I could not.

It turned out to be a kit which I ALSO have several of and not one of mine has the same problem, so he and I cannot figure out what happened.

Here's the parts and the problem.

The Dome tank uses TWO of the parts #7 from the AIRFIX 1:600 Bismarck kit. Yes, since there are two pieces for left and right, #7 & #8, you would figure that the original tanks would have one of #7 and one of #8, but it doesn't.......of course......it has TWO #7's.

Anyway, here's a picture of the left side of the tank showing the part #7 in place.

This SAME PIECE is used on the right side of the tank in the same location and can be seen in several of my pictures.

I have tried to show the problem in a series of pictures. On part #7 ONLY from the pieces that were sent to me, there is a bulge right at the lip of the section that looks like a scoop. Now, naturally, the part #8 I was also sent are perfect, since it turned out I didn't need those. I originally asked for BOTH 7 & 8 be sent because while we were compiling a list of parts to send, we included both left and right sides. I assumed WRONG.

The part that doesn't make sense is the fact that those same parts in MY kits DO NOT have this bulge and the boxes are the same. Something, undoubtedly, happened to the mold BEFORE I bought mine and it got corrected, or something has happened to the mold SINCE mine and this piece is bulged on every Bismarck kit from AIRFIX since?

I didn't want more parts sent to me unless it was a must. I would try to fix both that I had first. My fix for these was to score at the mating point all the way through the part, heat it slightly with a heat gun, remove the bulge and trim off the little excess that used to be the bulge.

It worked very well and I was able to save the parts.....to make a long story even longer.....LOL!

Anyway, if anyone happens to have bought an AIRFIX 1:600 Bismarck recently (in a red box, I think), would you be so kind as to check part #7 for a bulge? As I said, it is NOT in any of the kits I have with the same box, nor any of the earlier releases. I've got numerous 1:600 AIRFIX Bismarck kits with several being VERY old and it's not there.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulges.JPG (30.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5787.JPG (345.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5788.JPG (307.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5789.JPG (351.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5790.JPG (344.4 KB, 90 views)