Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

Here's a couple shots of the Command Module simply placed where it will go with nothing done so far except the viewports cut out. Here's also an example of one of my templates at work! As you can see, I have made a template for tracing the panel placement lines on both the CM and on the corresponding shell to cut the panels from. Makes it fairly straight forward and saves a great deal of time!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5906a.JPG (70.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5907a.JPG (61.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM

jay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the rough

I remember that part real well...with that template you made the panels turn out perfect every time and like you said it's a real time saver. Those vac command module shells of yours are done really nice, so much so I used part of the one used to cut up for the panels as the interior of mine.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

HEY JAY!!!

That template was almost a must. Laying those panels out is time consuming and it didn't take me long to figure, there's GOT to be a better way.

Rob.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Vera cool Rob.....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Why, Thank you Neb!

You know, you've poked your head in the door a couple times already to see what was going on here. Do you want people to get the wrong idea? I would suggest that you look around and make sure no one see's you.

As far as this thread goes, I would imagine that I'm getting around to the stars of the show now. The "Eagle" tanks seem to be the hands down favorites of these, but to be honest, having the other types FINALLY being built, they have certainly grown more on me. I say that strictly due to how nice they look in person. Of course, I always had a soft spot for ALL these tanks, but I do admit that I like the "Eagle" type the best, also. It's what got me started doing these in the first place.

Rob.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I pop in every time there's an update----I love this hardware, but I'm just not that familiar with it anymore (as it's been 30 years since I've even SEEN an episode).

So I don't have a lot to contribute except that watching the build is a great learning experience.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Ok Neb, time to pop in again!

Here's a few of the finished panels and the viewports almost completed. I left one side out just to show how they fit together (on mine, anyway). The window frames are finished and the clear windows are installed and masked for later painting.

The lower section of each viewport is "hooded" as are both windows, but the uprights are flush with the edge of the CM and only hooded at the window frame edges. You can sorta see what I mean in a couple of the pictures.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5908.JPG (232.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5909.JPG (264.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5910.JPG (288.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5911.JPG (278.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5912.JPG (234.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5913.JPG (259.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5914.JPG (269.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5915.JPG (287.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5916.JPG (271.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Oooh, very smooth Rob!

That Eagle command module design was a stroke of genius. It's use on other vehicles sharing the Alpha DNA was very clever too. There's no mistaking which show they appear in. Just plain cool.

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Thank you Mike!

While posting the videos in the "Breakaway" thread, I found this too!

For anyone who wonders just what these tanks are from or what they were for....

At 32:00 they'll roll out.

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 09-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 AM

29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light

....until 32.50!

In fact we never get to see the fate of the 'Eagle' laser tank. Probably because it's driver was sensible enough to take evasive manoeuvres, whilst thinking to himself, "F**k this for a laugh, I'm outta here!" These tanks do re-appear very briefly in a hangar scene shot from year 2, so we can safely assume there were supposed to be more than three of them on Alpha.

Nice work Rob, as ever.

Last edited by 29390; 09-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Long Time Lurker

LeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to beholdLeeS is a splendid one to behold

I always wondered why they were not used more, even as just set dressing next to a landing pad or something. Oh well, maybe in Season 3
Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 AM

Thank you Nigel!

Yes Lee, they WERE used several times for background, but,

LOOK QUICK!

Rob.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 AM

At my last update, I was putting the command modules together. That done, I have added them to the body of each tank that I'm building. Along with these pictures, I have also tried to show again how the viewports are arranged. The verticals are flush with the bridge of the CM and the horizontals are recessed along the edges. The windows get recessed too. Each window is an inner piece of clear plastic with a surround cut from styrene and the clear inserted in the surround. I've also tried to show the very small piece of styrene added to the forward section of each viewport. This chip takes a bit of manipulating and it's one of the things I'm not certain whether they are on the original tank or not. I always add it so that it seals the CM's. I wouldn't want all the air to leak out once these tanks were outside Moonbase Alpha!

I have also shown a little on how the side skirts get attached and how the tanks look both before and after.

Comments or questions are always welcome!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5921a.JPG (63.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5922a.JPG (75.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5923a.JPG (39.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5924a.JPG (38.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5925a.JPG (68.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5926a.JPG (57.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5927a.JPG (31.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5928a.JPG (42.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5929a.JPG (58.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5930a.JPG (41.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5931a.JPG (54.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5932a.JPG (40.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5933a.JPG (43.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5934a.JPG (34.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5935a.JPG (38.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5936a.JPG (34.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5937a.JPG (39.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM

29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light29390 is a glorious beacon of light

RE: The forward view ports.

This is the original Rob. I'm pretty sure this is as it was built, so those plasticard bits should be there IMO.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Nice, neat work Rob, they are looking great.

If I were building one, I'd be adding some construction adhesive around the inner joints of the window recesses. That way, they will never be able to be pushed back into the model requiring it to be opened up. I use it on my Galactica in areas that can't be accessed later when sealed up forever. Just a thought.

Mike