Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

Fantastic work Rob.

What a fleet !!!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM

yuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to beholdyuumi2891103 is a splendid one to behold

I'm really impressed of your work! Can't wait to see them finished!
katsu
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29390 View Post
RE: The forward view ports.

This is the original Rob. I'm pretty sure this is as it was built, so those plasticard bits should be there IMO.
COOL! I do clearly see it there in your picture, so, done deal! By the way, I certainly hope you like what you've seen so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Nice, neat work Rob, they are looking great.

If I were building one, I'd be adding some construction adhesive around the inner joints of the window recesses. That way, they will never be able to be pushed back into the model requiring it to be opened up. I use it on my Galactica in areas that can't be accessed later when sealed up forever. Just a thought.

Mike
Yes Mike, I probably should reinforce everything from the inside, just in case. There is, however, suppose to be a hole cut under the CM, so you could access in there if you needed to. Also, My thinking has always been, if you're fiddling around with these in a way that you pop out the windows and/or either of those viewports....PUT IT DOWN. You're too rough! It won't be a big problem in a couple of these builds for sure. I will have to open quite a bit of the underside on a couple of these because there will be several electronic parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki5150 View Post
Fantastic work Rob.

What a fleet !!!!!
Thank you Chris! I gotta admit, they do look nice when you have a work top all covered in laser tanks. Then again, you can't go by my opinion with that. I'm biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuumi2891103 View Post
I'm really impressed of your work! Can't wait to see them finished!
katsu
Well, HELLO yuumi! Glad you dropped by my friend! Yuumi, YOUR work is VERY impressive sir, so I appreciate your comments. Now, If I could get close to your standards, I'd be better off.

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 10-20-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Next update brings a slightly tedious and time consuming step.....making the two horizontal bars on each side at the rear of the Eagle type tank builds. Here again, since I was doing more than one of these, I made some more tools to help speed this along.

These rear tubes are two different lengths. The horizontals are longer than the uprights and the uprights get notched for the horizontals. I needed to make 16 sets of horizontal and vertical and I wanted them to all be identical. These are made from 5/16" thick wall styrene tubing. Tubing telescopes, so I made a very simple template that works for both the horizontals and the verticals. Using a section of 7/16" thick wall tubing to slide the 5/16" tubing into, I made the template long enough to be able to mark each vertical tube needed at the exact same spot to allow for the notches to end up in the same place on each one. Then, I drilled a small hole through the side of the 7/16" tubing so that I could drill a small hole through each horizontal exactly at the point that the vertical will be mounted into. I say "into" because I will be using a small section of 3/16" thick wall tubing at each end of these asseblies and at the joint for the horizontal and vertical tubing joints.

Here's what I did:

Once I had all the marks made and the pilot holes drilled in the verticals, I drilled the 3/16" hole in the horizontals pilot holes needed later for the reinforcements.

Then comes the tedious part, I started working on the notches. These next few pictures are just drilling a pilot hole through the verticals slightly above the line where I'll need to end up.

Then, all the way through, keeping the bit level side to side.

Using my cutting pliers, I snip out sections each side of these pilot holes so that I don't have nearly as much to remove.

It's then filed and sanded until I get to the mark on both sides of each vertical. I start with a 5/16" round (rat tail) file and finish them with some sand paper wrapped around a piece of 5/16" tubing.

Having the notches made in the verticals and the 3/16" holes drilled in the horizontals, I join the two using the small 3/16" sections as support.

The joints come out pretty nice, but using the 3/16" reinforcements leaves me with that 3/16" tubing showing through the exterior hole! We can't have that!

So, grabbing the 3/16" drill again, I clean up through the hole.

Better!

These bars get mounted (as I said) to the rear of the Eagle type tanks, so I laid out all the DIMS and drilled a few 3/16" holes so that I can use my reinforcements there too.

Holes drilled, nubs inserted.

And here's just one of the many I'm in the process of, stopping only to update this thread.

Here's a bunch all lined up like little soldiers! I hate making notches.

As always, comments, questions and criticisms are welcome!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6014.JPG (255.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6015.JPG (296.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6016.JPG (316.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6017.JPG (283.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6018.JPG (298.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6019.JPG (290.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6020.JPG (308.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6021.JPG (294.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6022.JPG (308.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6023.JPG (327.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6024.JPG (321.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6025.JPG (232.7 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6026.JPG (242.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6027.JPG (293.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6028.JPG (311.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6029.JPG (308.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6030.JPG (335.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6031.JPG (290.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6032.JPG (344.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6033.JPG (313.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6034.JPG (279.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6035.JPG (258.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6036.JPG (291.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6037.JPG (259.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6038.JPG (217.7 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned Aide

Mr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant futureMr. Wabac has a brilliant future

I love progress pics like this - a great tutorial !

Laser tanks looking really good Rob.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM

Thank you Mr. Wabac! (I hope you're not kidding and my posts are too long?)

Rob.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Ok, keeping with an assumption that my posts are NOT too long, here's something folks ask me about fairly regularly. "How and where do you cut these $250.00 a pop Chieftain decks?" Mainly when folks contact me, they are a little apprehensive about this and I will admit, the first time, it is intimidating.

First, here's what I use to do as much cutting as I possible can on these:

Here's what the TAMIYA 1/25 British Chieftain tank upper chassis looks like straight outta the box.....bagged and then un-bagged and closer for clarity:

For the initial cut, I leave extra. I generally cut around them as I've indicated with the red lines.

After cutting the grills from the deck as indicated, here's what you get. I forgot that some folks wanted to see this until I had already started cutting these, so pay no attention to the trimmed sections. This started out where indicated by the red lines earlier.

Here's what I previously cut away from the deck parts (labeled "A" above)before I remembered to post this.

Here, I show the cutting away of the deck section that doesn't get used for the Eagle tank from one of the Chieftain decks.

The Eagle tank uses both sections from one Chieftain chassis on the passenger side. That's the 'American' passenger side OR (looking from the front of the Eagle tank, the 'left' side.

The other section from the Chieftain, shown here (labeled "B" above), has only been cut away from the section above but has not yet been trimmed along the sides for placement on the build.

As many already know, a build of the Eagle type laser tank needs three Chieftain kits to build, unless you do a little molding and make some casts. The reason is, you need three of the section of grill that I just showed. As said, the passenger side gets one complete Chieftain grill. The driver's side gets TWO of just half a Chieftain grill, so multiples of this deck section will be needed.....which makes building one of these a little on the pricey side!

Here's what you would need form Chieftain decks for an Eagle type laser tank:

Now, although you would need three Chieftains to build just the Eagle type tank, the remainder of these grills ARE USED for the other two laser tank builds and you would end up using practically ALL THREE sets of grills from the three Chieftain kits.....so don't throw them away after you've cut them!

What I've shown here is just the preliminary cutting away of the decks from the Chieftain kit (with just some slight extra trimming of the piece I've shown labeled "A") and each grill gets trimmed slightly on each side right next to the hinges on each grill. No two of these grills are trimmed the same, so there is no set figure here to be trimmed. I'm taking notes of that as I build for what I came up with, but I can't just reply here and say "Cut 5 MM's off each side because each SIDE is slightly different on the original.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6047a.JPG (59.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6039a.JPG (82.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6040a.JPG (150.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg grills.JPG (79.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6042a.JPG (53.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Dscn6045a.JPG (64.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6043a.JPG (56.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Dscn6044a.JPG (43.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg grillsAB.JPG (81.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg total.JPG (98.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6046a.JPG (35.4 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 10-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Nice detailed progress reports Rob. Keep em coming. Are you building these to order, or going to flog them off on eBay?

Don't you just love making the military guys gasp when cutting up expensive kits?

Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 AM

jay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the roughjay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Don't you just love making the military guys gasp when cutting up expensive kits?
That's the best part!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Mike
Jay's right Mike! One of the ugliest e-mails I ever got!!!

For this update, let me back up just a couple steps. In the last series of pictures, I skipped over the making of that box you see on the rear of the Eagle tank. Although fairly straight forward for those that have done such things, I'll show some of how I do it hoping it helps someone.

Long ago, I made a perfectly square set of LEGO blocks. I glued the blocks together, sanded, checked, sanded, scraped, checked and then lined them with .040" styrene and now have this as a permenant tool. It's just like any other square, except with high walls and really comes in handy sometimes. I use this all the time when I need a second set of hands for things just like making those boxes. The extra blocks you see on top are just stuck there in case I need to use one to push or something. They are removable.

Using my wall of LEGO's, I cut out the styrene to the dimensions I worked out for these. I mount the top plate (Seen at the bottom during assembly) inside the walls to these boxes, so I deduct the wall thickness from the top thickness on each side. Two sides also get deductions so that each opposite side overlaps the other opposing sides. Lining everything up in my square, I glue the pieces together.

Boxes made, now they need to be added to the tank body.

These boxes are made from .040" (1 MM) styrene. Rather than just stick these to the tank, I give them just a little more strength by making a base for each from .060" (1.5 MM) styrene. This piece, just like the tops earlier, get cut to fit the inside of the box. Using the centerline of the tank, I mark the center of this base and mount it to the tank.

Here's the box and plate just sitting in place to show what I'm talking about.

Once the base is mounted to the body, I then install the box which slips right over the base. The base makes it much more secure and also gives more area to glue to. These boxes are where all the laser stuff will go later.

Next update soon! I hope!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6052.JPG (368.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6053.JPG (358.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6054.JPG (298.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6055.JPG (349.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6048.JPG (296.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6049.JPG (289.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6050.JPG (289.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6051.JPG (290.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 AM

rockwellcm New face in the crowd

Rob,can i ask how the CM is attached to the Sheet,i see in one shot what looks like a clear block near the nose of the CM?

and thank you for a detailed build
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Hey rockwell,

The CM does have some attachment help added to the inside along the lower edge. That clear piece you see is some plexiglas strips I cut for that one, but I generally use some of the remainder of the CM vac-forms that are left over when you trim the .040" shell. There is an "L" shaped flange around the bottom from the vac-forming.

I cut them into small sections and turn them around backwards in a few places along the bottom edge. Sometime (as you see with the plexiglas) I add some heavier strips along the rear and forward of the CM. I usually do it across the rear so that I can make sure it holds a straight line across the rear where it mates against the 'hump' just behind the CM.

Once that rear edge is attached straight, I generally work both sides and attach them to the base keeping everything even along both sides and finally glue the nose tip down to a center mark I made on the base and at the center of the CM. Then, I trim the shape of the CM from the base and sand the bsae down till it matches the contour of the CM.

Rob.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Back to the turret from the Chieftain. I mentioned in post #57 that I would be returning to this part and the time has come.

Here, again, are the parts needed to make up the section below the Command Module on an Eagle type laser tank.

Again, the next couple pictures show the cut that has to be made in the Chieftain turret. This time, I have trimmed it to where it needs to be as I stated in post #57 I still needed to do.

There is a model piece which gets added in the slot where the gun barrel would normally go.

This gray part is part #10 from the 1:24 scale REVELL Gemini kit. It gets trimmed as shown. The part that looks like a ladder gets used on this part of the laser tank build. The little nub you trim off (right side shown here) the ladder.......gets used on the Dome tank. The nub from the LEFT shown here we won't be needing.

Trimmed and inserted.

The exposed sections of this ladder part get covered in .020" styrene. Again, I made templates since I'm doing numerous.

The two points extending from the front of this turret piece get covered in some .020" styrene. I fill these two holes (as mentioned earlier) with the two tabs from the lower Chieftain turret ring, but the only reason I can figure as to why these were made for the original Eagle build was that Mr. Bower did NOT fill those two holes with the tabs from the ring. Anyway, here they are in place.

The remainder of the pictures will be to show how this should end up when it is ready to be installed on the tank body.

That's it for now. Next update I should be able to show a completed tank build using the original kit parts.

Stay tuned!

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6056.JPG (254.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6057.JPG (289.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6058.JPG (259.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6059.JPG (340.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6060.JPG (368.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6061.JPG (382.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6062.JPG (367.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6063.JPG (366.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6064.JPG (304.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6065.JPG (281.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6066.JPG (300.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6067.JPG (299.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6068.JPG (319.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6069.JPG (258.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6070.JPG (293.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6071a.JPG (30.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6072a.JPG (39.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6073a.JPG (35.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 11-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

I'll tell ya Rob----if a fella couldn't build this model using your tutorial, he shouldn't be modeling.

EXCELLENT tutorial.

Now....if I could just find someone who'd do a "Rob" style tutorial on lighting a 1/650 scale Sovereign class Starship....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Thank you George! I hope this does help someone.

A "Rob" style lighting tutorial, huh? Ok, in my normal fashion, get 250 feet of ROMEX. Let's get started!

By the way, I'm slower than molasses, I know, but here's one of the things I'm doing along the way to go along with all this. It's all hand drawn in MSPaint, so it does take a bit of time, but I certainly don't want to have to figure this all over and over every time......

All those spots will be filled in with some numbers, of course, as to the very best estimates of what I can figure. I'm hoping to help even those that AIN'T modelers! I hope when I'm done, it'll be a simple matter of cutting styrene to the numbers and glue it all together, stick the appropriate kit parts to the styrene and paint them. One should end up with what they see me doing here......if they like these.

Our good friend, Jay Barnes, is feverishly working on a full set of decals for all three of these AND, later, he really wants to try and make a set that will ALSO incorporate many of the pencil, pen and panel markings too. He's experimented already and says he really likes the results, so I'm looking forward to posting what he comes up with. Speaking of Jay, he's been a little slack with his contributions here and it's just as much MY fault as it is his. He's been working a good bit and trying to add my stuff in with his......like he ain't got enough to do already.

Thank you Jay.

One thing about Jay, when he finally gets caught up, he can give some insight as to whether or not any of my suggestions work or not. He's built one of these with me and I think he's planning on joining me again! I look forward to that. As I've said though, I look forward to ANYONE joining in here with me, so speak up if anyone would like.

I'll keep plugging away over here and keep adding along the way.

Rob.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.JPG (58.6 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 11-04-2012 at 11:59 AM.