Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moonbase Alpha Laser Tanks...ALL THREE!

SHEESH - GREAT! I was dreading having to mask the dome off for painting!

I guess that means the injector mark area of the dome *won't* have to be totally polished off?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
SHEESH - GREAT! I was dreading having to mask the dome off for painting!
Nope, this nub will get covered by the cap!

Quote:
I guess that means the injector mark area of the dome *won't* have to be totally polished off?
Don't jump up and down too much. You'll still have to get rid of the one on the "Dome" tank bubble. I don't know what you are dreading? It takes just about 10 minutes to polish that out with Brasso. I'm even allowing 7 minutes to find where you've put your bottle of Brasso.

Rob.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Healvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the rough

Dome polishing...Wrong forum I think. Toothpaste does a pretty good job also if you don't have Brasso.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheniks View Post
great job
very nice done
Hey pheniks, Thank you and Welcome to the party!

John, there IS no wrong forum for dome polishing, my friend. If there is, THEN, you're in the wrong forum. Get out IMMEDIATELY!

Ok guys, I believe there will be a couple of additions to the thread here....FINALLY.... and we can all have a nice little build going on here.

The latest from me, is I've built a couple lasers. Normally, I wouldn't need to build lasers, but since these ARE laser tanks, I felt it appropriate.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5566.JPG (268.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5567.JPG (255.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5568.JPG (272.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Rob, you madman! You went and made those springs we were talking about? Sheesh! The guns look great.

FYI, I have a pile of purple laser pointers coming here. So I'll be able to bust them up and jam then into the guns then shoot shit with them. I can't wait!

Now all y'all got to know this. I got a bunch of cast parts from Rob for my builds. I have to say that they are exquisite. No bubbles, nice hard resin, some flash to trim but it's very managable, obviously pressure cast. There's a clear part in the mix that boggles me! Without gushing or blowing sunshine up Rob's arse, they are really nice casts, very much worth it.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Sean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati GodSean C Resin Illuminati God

Just messing around with the laser components I have already - so far, they fit *beautifully* in the Chieftain donor section of the gun! The hard part is lining the beam through the telescoped tubes ahead of it.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Healvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the roughHealvis is a jewel in the rough

Can you use a fibre optic thread to fire the laser through? If you can then I suppose you could put the actual laser anywhere.
John.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

^^ Hi John,

That's a great point, but I think you'd get light only from the FO, not a nice beam. I'll try. I have some 0.75mm FO lying about and see if that works, later today. It would be cool if it does.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Yep John, Sean is COMPLETELY in charge of the laser part of this! He volunteered....or I volunteered him....something, but which ever way it happened, he's the man!

The 'springs' mentioned earlier (shown in the pictures) have been tricky. They are having to be hand made. I have NO CLUE what Mr. Bower could have used that has two small ends with that large section in between for a spring? I'm wrapping the thinnest wire I can find around tubing an appropriate number of times and then doing the same for the smaller sections. Mine aren't actually springs!

Sean, I'm glad you're pleased with the parts! If nothing else, they should work for what we need them for, agreed?

Rob.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Cromulentum Perfectum

Yeah, the parts are gonna get the job done here.

Re the lasers, I'm not sure if I volunteered or was volunTOLD once I brought it up. WTF, it's a load of fun.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Well, let's put it this way....

You've spoken to me several times already. Do you REALLY want me to fiddle around with the lasers???

Hmmm?

You and I BOTH know the answer to that.

Rob.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Todays update includes the addition of a laser mount and the detailed tanks just behind each canopy.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5571.JPG (90.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5572.JPG (275.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5573.JPG (287.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5574.JPG (289.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I'm aching to cut some plastic...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'm aching to cut some plastic...
Ok n00b, here's just a couple of examples of what can be used to cut some plastic. I keep forgetting you're new to this, so remind me every now and then so's we can learn ya'. These can cut plastic and will get you through the withdrawals until you actually start building a damn tank.

This is just a general couple of tools we all should already be familiar with as model builders of ANY kind, but I'm not taking anything for granted, and a small selection of various thicknesses of sheet styrene. Now, a couple of these you probably don't have, especially the same as you see here because they have been custom made, but I decided to go ahead and show them because it may be to your advantage when you DO build a tank. We can discuss these should you decide to try and make them for yourself. There is a custom made scribe there also (mounted in the large X-Acto handle), but the main things I mention are for cutting circles. I've never quite been able to make a compass work as most people suggest for circles. They've never been stout enough and I always get twisting, skipping and all kinds of other bullshit, so I made these. You can bare down on these and the smaller actually gets chucked in my hand drill! One thing to remember, is we'll be cutting a pretty good sized hole in .125 material. Mine do it in NO time and even if I do get the compass thing to work, it would take a long time. Anyway, I'll go into detail if anyone decides they want to make their own.

The superglue has been thrown in because it is a VERY essential part of scratch building during the cutting, trimming, gouging, ripping, grinding, sanding, filing, scribing, scoring or tearing part of scratch building. It needs to ALWAYS be right next to what you're cutting and the tip maintained clear of obstructions so that it can immediately be applied to YOU when the inevitable happens with this shit.

The superglue is not actually shown for gluing of any plastic during this cutting process.

I personally have band-aids tucked within reach at my workbench, but they have never ONCE been useful. A slip, if you're doing this right, will usually WELL surpass a band-aids ability to be of any use. You can stick a band-aid over the area so that you can continue to build, but that is ONLY after you finally apply enough superglue to prevent going to the emergency room. If that's possible. It has, so far, been possible for me, but that is only because I have become very proficient at holding whatever flaps of skin are flopping back together and applying the glue at just the right angles. It has been a very close call at times though, and I was already walking towards the truck a couple times until I got it to stop squirting. Bleeding ain't nothin', it's the full flow ones that sometimes get my concern. I recover fairly quickly from most of the bad ones. Once I regain conscienceness, I handle the situation like a battlefield medic. Haven't even had to tell the Wife but a couple times. I don't like to involve her because she panics.

Generally, a slip at the cutting stage means starting over anyway and simply adds to the ever mounting pile of scrap plastic you will soon have a very nice inventory of. One tip on this 'scrap pile' material. Try and remember to mark the piece you add to the scrap pile. A simple penciled note of .020, .030....whatever it is....will help ALOT with the return to this pile for a small piece you can use.

Now, if you have ANY two of those pictured items, you can fix that ache to cut plastic. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS though without a combo of whatever cutting tool you decide on AND the superglue. Cutting ALWAYS includes the superglue, so it's never a single tool job.

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5575.JPG (99.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5576.JPG (33.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Eagle-1; 10-24-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM

george New face in the crowd

Hello Everyone

New to the Group BUT after talks with Rob and buying the assembly of parts for the C.M laser tank. I am putting together All that I will need to build this tank.

I hope I can count on the Group`s help and advance during my build? I will have to start it actually in the new year as I go under the knife again in a few weeks.

Anyways, Sorry Rob BUT after seing the interior build of the C.M I want to go through the same thing as well BUT I want to add two pilots. Anyone know where I can find two pilots for this build?

Thanks In advance for your help.

Also, how does one add pictures to this site? I am a computer beginner, emails and ebay and some printing. Need help for " picture posting for dummies " also I am on my lap top and my digital Sony camera memory stick won`t plug in anywhere on the lap top. Take a deep breath when walking me through this then a COLD BEER to calm yourselves.

George