Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Military Models

Military Models Finished Military Models

Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/48 B-17F "Bad Penny"

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbs View Post
Damn...She's a beaut. You just raised the bar on me. You bringing her to Nats? You can leave her at my house hehehe.
By the way, I like the 'coffee stain'.

LOL - no, no nats for Penny Wonderfest is a very tentative, uncertain maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauly View Post
lookin' sharp! I'm liking those tires! Wish Sprue Bros would hurry up and restock...
Thankya!

Squadron has them - I just got a set in for Daisy Mae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
FLAT COAT!

Looks great Dave!

And I know what you mean about that "coffee stain" ----every pic I've taken of my Semovente shows the rust amplified times 1000. Just horrid. Yet in person it's very subtle.

Cameras can be bullshitters Maybe pics in the sunlight will look better.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

^^^^

Good point!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Lookin' reeeeeeeal niiiice Dave!

Mike
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

That's looking tip top Dave. Great job
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/48 B-17F "Bad Penny" - FINISHED

She's finished!!!! (Finally)

For my money, the toughest part of this build was the four windows on top of the nose.

Final inventory:

1x Revell B-17F (fuselage, wings, and most windows)
1x Monogram B-17G (Interior, props, cowlings, main gear struts, top turret internals, ball turret, tail gun section, tail wheel bulkhead)
1x Quickboost Engine set
2x Quickboost B-17G Gun Barrel Set (four barrels in set have blast tubes - not used on early/mid F's)
3x MG's from the True Details Nose Set (for waist and radio compartment guns)
1x Eduard Engine PE
1x Eduard Brassin Wheel Set
1x SAC Landing Gear (only used tailwheel and gear)
1x Koster B-17F Nose Job Set (provided nose and top turret)
1/11 Zotz B-17 Heavenly Bodies decal set
1x custom decal sheet
3x 4mm plastic beads (MG sockets in nose)
1 scale ton of styrene strip
MV lenses used for landing and passing lights
1x partridge in a pear tree

(with this in mind, I think I'm moving this to the regular Military/Completed section, cause she's in mo way a retro build anymore )

Firsts:

First use of acrylics on aircraft
First attempt at preshading
First attempt at pinwashes
First use of oils for weathering
First use of vacuform parts on aircraft
First time I'm actually happy with a build (thanks to the guys who taught me the aforementioned techniques!)

Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

OMG...friggin sweet. I have what amounts to a metric shit ton of questions.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
OMG...friggin sweet. I have what amounts to a metric shit ton of questions.
Ask away
Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM

G-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of lightG-Man is a glorious beacon of light

Damn Bro!, She is Gorgeous! How long till you fly her around outside pretending make a bombing run on the nazi's?

George

And you can follow Catalyst Creations on face book:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catalyst-Creations/345458355475644
Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Boy----those decals really sucked down nice!

SHE LOOKS GREAT!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dave, I'll start with :
Could you elaborate on the MV lenses as well as your use up the 4mm beads? Pics as well, if you have time.
Where did you get the lenses and what do they look like? what size for a G?
How did you utilize the beads?

Last edited by allthumbs; 11-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Thanks Dave, I'll start with :
Could you elaborate on the MV lenses as well as your use up the 4mm beads? Pics as well, if you have time.
Where did you get the lenses and what do they look like?
How did you utilize the beads?
Yes. I'll post pics tomorrow but I'll give you the Short Form now.

MV lenses - I found them on eBay from this seller: j-tprantle

I used 3.5mm Clear lenses for the landing lights - it turns out that that is a good size for most US WW2 multi-engine planes like the -17, -24, C-47, etc. so I stocked up.

The B-17 had a red passing light in the left landing light bay. 2.1mm Red lenses (LS 281) looked like a good fit to me. I haven't seen those in any other a/c, but then it was news to me when I saw it in that Wings of Power sim for MS FSX.

I drilled appropriate holes in the light bays and countersunk the lenses:

^^^that is the only pic I have of Penny's lights pre-cover, but it won't be long before I dish out Daisy Mae's light mounts, and I'll get some better pics of it.

I wish Squadron's vac clear parts sets included replacements for the kit's landing light covers, because the kit parts are so thick that refraction diminishes the appearance. Eduard's exterior set SHOULD include some sort of bezel, but that detail would be lost too behind the kit parts.

Beads - if you're doing a G, you won't need any of them. They're used in E and most F nose and cheek guns as mounting 'gimbals'. Check this pic out:

The windows in the Revell F kit are quite thick - maybe 4 scale inches or so. I found out that if you drill ALMOST all the way through with a 4mm bit from the inside, so that the bead doesn't go all the way through, then paint the inside of the hole OD BEFORE gluing the bead in, that it does a decent job of recreating the look of the .50 cal mount in that pic. Drill the hole just so that the bead sticks out just a bit. A .50 will need some support framing, too.

It was necessary to use one in the Koster nose pieces for MG mount. The bead needs to be sliced in half - and the flat side goes to the back. That's where you mount support frames for the .50 cal. .30 cal guns (early F's and before) don't really need frames, but the .50 was too heavy to have been supported by just the nose bubble.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Here's a closeup:

Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Excellent work Dave
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Excellent work Dave
Thank you, Drew.

I think this is the first build I've ever done that I'm actually satisfied with. These new (to me!) painting and weathering techniques that you guys have taught me has paid off bigtime.

This is SUCH an awesome board.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Great job Dave, your satisfaction is quite justified.

How about this for your next build? I know I'm damn inspired!

Mike