Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future
Default The Force Awakens: HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!!!

In case you didn't read the title - SPOILERS FOLLOW.

I MEAN IT. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, DON'T READ THIS THREAD.

Discuss.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Dweeb in residence

rpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant futurerpauly has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Force Awakens: HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!!!

I enjoyed it thoroughly, but there are a few things that bug me, much in the way that there were some glaring logical errors in JJ's "Trek" films.

For instance:

Who thought it was a good idea to have the big threat rely on literally draining a star to power itself? Talk about "one and done..." I mean, it's not like they're going to fly a planet around the galaxy looking for ammunition (don't get me started on the energy involved to do so, the effects of precession that would be induced and/or the result of the atmosphere tearing away from screwing with the rotational dynamics of the planet). Good thing they were (apparently) in a binary system so they could take a second shot at Resistance Headquarters...

I see we can still see the destruction of other planets from the surface, during daylight, of the planet we're standing on - even though we're in another star system...

And the questions - oh, the questions! (Of course, these are part of the fun!)

WHO IS REY? My money is on "Luke's daughter, left on Jakku for her own protection after Solo Jr. went full-on Annikin."

Speaking of Solo Jr, love his anger-management skills...

Anyone else notice the tidbits from the Expanded Universe?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

SPOILERS

NO reason to kill off Solo. Dick move by JJ......

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:43 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

BTW---- Darth Vader got a better send off than Han did....

Maybe that's what I'm ticked about.....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 12-19-2015, 02:16 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
SPOILERS

Well, Ford wanted Solo to die way back in RotJ. Maybe he had it written into his contract?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Dweeb in residence

Quote:
SPOILERS

I bet it was more of Ford's idea. He has said in the past that Solo should have died in "Empire."
Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM
SPACESHIP!

Blappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of AllBlappy Overlord Master of All

Quote:

I'm fairly certain the ONLY way Ford was coming back to the SW universe to do another movie was if they killed him off.

Rey is likely Lukes Kid. Who was the old Guy on Jakku played by Max von Sydow? He was obviously keeping an eye on Rey and Luke left him the missing piece of the map.

If Rey can not only block but push back on Kylo Ren/Ben Solo with no training in the force "Powerful Jedi is she, Powerful.".

And boy did she fly the shit out of the Falcon!!! That was just awesome!

Don;t get me started on the whole planet sized super weapon thing....
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Neo-Uk is a jewel in the roughNeo-Uk is a jewel in the roughNeo-Uk is a jewel in the roughNeo-Uk is a jewel in the roughNeo-Uk is a jewel in the roughNeo-Uk is a jewel in the rough

I thought the film was good but was too close a storyline to A New Hope.
Also why another Death Star ??????
Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Hectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to behold

Up until they found Luke's Lightsabre I loved it.
Then it fell apart big style and looked like the worst idea since Greedo shot 1st.
Han died = obvious: it was the only way to get Harrison Ford back in the role.
Starkiller base = YAWN! Get we can't get the Rebel fleet there on time, but we can get 30 deep looking X-wings there?
And worst of all Williams delivered the worst score since AOTC.
Also Rey, Cheeie and R2 take off in the falcon = THE END!
The remainder of the film should have been shifted to EpVIII.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:36 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Agreed on the score, absolutely NO memorable signature themes for the new characters. C'mon John!

We loved the movie though, Harrison and Carrie were just great. Daisy Ridley was utterly gorgeous and likeable all in one. Instantly mastering the Falcon and being able to repair her quirks to the surprise of Han was great.

So many great moments for me. One was the approving nod from Chewie when Rey hopped into Han's pilot seat. Another was the Falcon rising up to rescue Rey after the big lightsabre battle in the forest. Seeing Chewie alone in the cockpit nearly broke me down I tell ya!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Another was the Falcon rising up to rescue Rey after the big lightsabre battle in the forest. Seeing Chewie alone in the cockpit nearly broke me down I tell ya!
I could swear it looked like Chewie was crying in the cockpit. I know if was fleeting, but that was my impression.

Overall, I loved the movie, but did have a few issues with it:

- I could have done without the trench run scene. Just felt like a rehash.

- At the end, instead instead of celebrating, the rebels should have been bugging out. Yes, they destroyed StarKiller, but the 1st Order knows where they are and could send a dozen Star Destroyers there.

- Why no rebel capital ships? Really, just a handful of X-wings is all they could muster?

- Finn should *not* have been able to hold his own for even a few seconds in that light saber battle.

- Why does the Supreme Leader looks like something out of Lord of the Rings? I couldn't shake that image.

But I *loved* the fact that I kept expecting Kylo Ren to be Luke. It was well set up.

Yes, I have a few nitpicks, but that didn't stop me from feeling like a kid again while watching the movie. I had several *squee* moments, and more than once giggling like a kid. Can't wait to see it again!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 AM

Hectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to beholdHectors House is a splendid one to behold

The 1st time I saw it was 1st day of release in glorious Imax!
And I loved it!!!!
But that could be because it was 1st showing, 3D Imax and the audience participation was terrific.

Watching it again in the cold light of day, 1st showing on a Sunday morning on a std screen I was able to assess with a more level head.
That's when I realized I'd been had!
Up until they find Luke's lightsabre it is still astonishing.
Then it all falls apart.
How are they going to pad out the next 4hrs until the trilogies obvious conclusion?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
BTW---- Darth Vader got a better send off than Han did....

Maybe that's what I'm ticked about.....
Ford wanting to get killed off has been common knowledge for a long time----so that didn't surprise me.

What did annoy me was what I stated above---- his send off was a knowing glance between Rey and Leia.

A small nit.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
Up until they found Luke's Lightsabre I loved it.
Then it fell apart big style and looked like the worst idea since Greedo shot 1st.
Han died = obvious: it was the only way to get Harrison Ford back in the role.
Starkiller base = YAWN! Get we can't get the Rebel fleet there on time, but we can get 30 deep looking X-wings there?
I agree I enjoyed the opening and getting to know Poe, Rey and Finn. After they met Han and Chewie it was a rehash of episode IV. I was expecting to have my mind blown and it wasn't. I didn't mind Solo dying I guess for me it didn't have "weight" He didn't sacrifice himself It was very unheroic. I didn't care for Kylo being Solo's son. It seems contrived. George is right there was no real send off for Han either. A lot of my issues come from JJ himself. I really do not like his movies. I guess I had hope that he would do Star Wars justice (at least he didn't redesign the Falcon) It's not a terrible movie, it's just not a terribly original movie.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

The Falcon never looked so good, I'll say. I also really liked the way the lightsabers sounded and looked. This movie they really came across as dangerous.