Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default DLM KBOP Positionable Wing Baffles

Like the instructions say - the wing baffles are one important detail that is overlooked in this kit. The kit is otherwise beautiful - but once you assemble it you are limited to whatever position you chose for the wings. Not only that, but the kit parts just don't provide the right 'depth'.

Cobywan came to our rescue a few years back with his resin set. I bought a set and was immediately disappointed - the thicknesses of the wing-mounted baffles were all over the place, from practically paper-thin to twice the intended thickness. The only way to have remedied that would have been to have handmade all ~50 pieces out of sheet plastic, as by the time I bought my set, they were well out of production.

Fuck THAT noise.

DLM started making them recently - only instead of casting them in resin, he had them laser-cut from black acrylic plastic. Hooray, I said! Not only will they be consistent in thickness, but they'll be black, meaning that any paint that would wear off wouldn't cause unsightly light gray areas! Plus, as DLM mentions in his ad, there'll be less friction, meaning the 'action' will be a lot smoother!

Then I got the set and started to assemble them.

The first problem is the edges - they're pretty rough and you have to sand each one to smooth them out. That's ~75 parts, so we're talking tedious elbow grease:

Meh - no real problem, right? Still beats the hell out of the resin baffles... at least you don't have to sand the insides of the areas where the hinge pins slide.

So I get the three sections together, everything but the end plates - which must be attached last, as they cover the 4 brass tubing pieces on which the wings move. Then I notice another problem - the kit 'shoulder pads' won't fit without considerable alteration to the baffle center section. Note the contour of the kit baffle part on the left, as opposed to that of the DLM set. Hit part has a graceful curve, while the DLM set is a straight line with a bit of an angle at the end:

Another view with the 'shoulder pad' positioned on the DLM center section:

The only cure for this is that each and every piece will have to be trimmed and bevelled in order for the 'shoulder pad' parts to fit correctly.

On to the next issue. On the bottom of the sides of the center section, there are rows of barbs/hooks/tangs that are supposed to ride flush against the sides of the middle fuselage. Long story short, the distance between them is about 1/8" too wide.
In order for them to look right, the only cure will be to cut the center section down the middle and remove about 1/8" of resin and fin material.
Here's how it looks:

Conclusion: This is in NO WAY a direct replacement for the kit parts. One wonders if DLM had actually even assembled a set of these things before they went on the market. Given the state of computer technology nowadays, plus the blatancy of these problems, there's no excusing this kind of product.

Still, they beat making them by hand... but for ~$85 shipped, had I realized that this product had all these issues, I'd have passed.

Unless you must have them, not recommended.

ETA: One thing that would make things better would be of DLM were to include decals for the stripes on the wing baffles. DLM makes good decals - and they would dramatically improve the appearance.

Last edited by The Cat; 06-23-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: DLM KBOP Positionable Wing Baffles

Thanks for the detailed review
Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Excellent review. Those parts will really make the model pop.

Mike
Old 07-02-2011, 02:50 PM

snag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to all

Hey Cat,

Thanks for the review. I was about to pull the trigger for a set... but now I'm not so sure. I bought one of Cobywan's original sets some years ago and was pretty excited. At the end I couldn't overcome all of the resin thickness issues and gave up on it.

There were some rumbling back when that REL was going to do a fiberglass or resin KBOP. Any news of that project? The AMT/Round 2 one is okay but there are issues. I'd pay big bucks for an accurate one (in a little bigger scale) - although not the Warp 27"
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

You're most welcome, Snag.

As it is, these baffles are Okay, and unlike the resin set they're actually usable. The center pieces need to be changed in two ways - recontouring the upper parts, and taking about 1/8" out of the center. If this were done it'd about be a much better value.

You're right about the KBOP kit's issues. The 'visor' is lacking, and the detail on the bottom of the neck is abysmal. I don't like the torpedo launcher either - I replaced mine with PE and greeblies.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Thanks for the detailed review Dave - it definitely helps in the decision making process before buying!

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
Thanks for the detailed review Dave - it definitely helps in the decision making process before buying!

Thanks, Jim - that was what I was hoping to do

Latest - I split the set down the middle and took some of the width out. That had the fortunate side effect of making the reshaping easier.

Speaking of reshaping, it's close now - REAL close.

Last edited by The Cat; 07-04-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

snag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to all

Looks good. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I bought a set of K & S tube benders last weekend; before I decided to wait on getting the baffle set. I was gonna use it to bend some thicker brass tubes for the cloack projector (the kit piece is just too skinny and makes the whole front section look off).
Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
It's gonna get real now.

I'll take pics of mine - it may give you some ideas
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Any progress on this baby??
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
professional noob

opal_1970 has a spectacular aura aboutopal_1970 has a spectacular aura aboutopal_1970 has a spectacular aura about

Just happened to stumble accross this thread. Thanks for the very good pointers, Dave. I have the KBOP kit sitting on the shelf along with Don's baffle kit, wish I would have known this all before I ordered it. Not sure if it would have made me change my mind (after all, movable wings are pretty darn cool and to date there is no other alternative), but it would have been nich to know.

Jason

"I honor those who have gone where I have yet to go, who have seen what I have yet to see; for they are the true pioneers. May your journey be an adventure." -- Nomad farewell to the dead

Current builds:
TOS Galactica (On hold)
New Galactica (Coming soon)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

***MAD KLINGON APPROVED!***

I'm confused and disappointed DLM would release such a wonky product...seems a little half-assed to me.

Nice save though.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opal_1970 View Post
to date there is no other alternative),
Jason, that fact right there is the ONLY reason that that kit isn't in a landfill right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
***MAD KLINGON APPROVED!***

I'm confused and disappointed DLM would release such a wonky product...seems a little half-assed to me.

Nice save though.
Thank you, Tom
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM
professional noob

opal_1970 has a spectacular aura aboutopal_1970 has a spectacular aura aboutopal_1970 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Jason, that fact right there is the ONLY reason that that kit isn't in a landfill right now.
I hear you talking, After reading this I took everything back out of the box to look specifically at this area again... Well, all I can say is thankfully I have a couple other projects in the pipeline to finish before I start the BOP, I have a feeling a lot of cussing and swearing is going to be involved.

"I honor those who have gone where I have yet to go, who have seen what I have yet to see; for they are the true pioneers. May your journey be an adventure." -- Nomad farewell to the dead

Current builds:
TOS Galactica (On hold)
New Galactica (Coming soon)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Dave, have you thought about talking to Don about the issues, and helping correct the file they were cut from?

I know he can be a bit of a tool, but, I'd be surprised if he weren't appreciative of the offer of help to straighen this charlie-foxtrot out.

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.