Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default Combrig 1/350 French Destroyer "Le Terrible"

For those 1/350 scale ship nuts like myself I've decided to do an in box preview of the French Destroyer Flotilla Leader "Le Terrible". She was one of six ships in the "La Fantasque" class.

I've put off buying this kit for about six months simply because of the $169 pricetag for the waterline version. Full hull runs a little bit more. Anyways, I couldn't wait any longer as this has always been one of my grail kits and despite the price it's worth every penny.

These destroyers were 2600 ton ships.....empty. They also had been timed at 45 knots during their trials. They boasted a main armament of 5: 5.4" main guns and a variety of smaller AA guns. They also had three triple torpedo tube mounts.

And now on with the preview.

Taking the hull out of the box you can see the impressive size. The detail on the hull is very finely cast as well. No noticeable air bubbles or scratches. Can't even find the seam lines or a pour stub.

I went on to all of the small detail parts and was disappointed to find them all crammed into an undersized baggie.

Luckily after pawing through all of the parts nothing was broken. Everything is very cleanly cast. Even the small detail parts are very crisp and finely detailed.

You also get a nice fret of PE for the railings and other assorted details.

The instruction booklet.....yes booklet.....is very finely made. It's about 15 pages long and is extremely detailed. So much so that any idiot can put this beauty together.

Just to show the size I've taken a group picture. From top to bottom it's Le Terrible, Japanese Kagero Class, US Fletcher Class and British G Class.

All in all it's a beautiful kit. If you're a Tin Can buff like then this is a must have for your collection. Five stars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8181.JPG (3.05 MB, 0 views)

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Combrig 1/350 French Destroyer "Le Terrible"

Impressive casting.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I just can't wait to see this build happen.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

It will look good built up. I hope Combrig is still around a few years down the road - I
really would like to pick up a number of their pre-dreadnought era ships.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Yo View Post
It will look good built up. I hope Combrig is still around a few years down the road - I
really would like to pick up a number of their pre-dreadnought era ships.
They've been around for a while now. At first I was a bit skeptical of their kits coming from Russia and all but they are top notch in both the quality and the casting. I believe they are using 3D to have these done. And it would explain why they are a little expensive.

I own several of their kits now and they are all excellent.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Whose resin Kagero and Fletcher are in that one photo? Just curious.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Oh my!

The Kagero is Yankee Modelworks. The Fletcher (it's actually the USS Stevens which carried a catapault and Kingfisher) is Blue Water Navy which became Yankee Modelworks.

The HMS Glowworm is White Ensign Models. They are probably some of the best cast kits I have ever seen.....even better than Combrig.

I'm a HUGE Tin Can buff so it's the one type of ship I have a lot of in the build pile.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Last edited by lakespeed; 06-22-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

You said "glow worm".

Most impressive. Very interesting subject.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
You said "glow worm".

Most impressive. Very interesting subject.
Heh heh....heh heh.

The British made it easy. We'll call this the "A" Class and name all the ship with an "A".

I wonder what it was like when they got to the "O" Class.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.