Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tamyia's New, “Masking Tape for Curves”.

A Quick Review of Tamyia's New, “Masking Tape for Curves”.

I recently learned of the new tape and immediately placed an order for all three widths, 2, 3 and 5 mm via eBay. I paid $26.79 for the three rolls plus free shipping from Hong Kong. The review is meant to be a quick overview – I spent about 10 minutes playing with the stuff.

Upon examination the tape appears to be plastic with reinforcing ribs that run the length of the material. I noticed some “stringy”edges here and there so you'll have to watch out for these when masking.

Overall, the tape worked well; it handles gentle curves without issue.

I noticed the tape is very low tack. This became an issue when trying to mask the complex curves of the test model. The tape puckered in tight turns and became unstuck. However, keep in mind, I was using a single piece of masking tape. Dividing the job into sections would probably be helpful.

To test the adhesion and masking ability of the new tape, I laid down pieces of 5, 3 and 2mm tape on a unprimed piece of styrene. I then airbrushed on several light coats of thinned (about 50/50) Tamiya acrylic paint. The tape worked well with no paint (even very thin paint) bleeding underneath.

In conclusion, Tamiya's new “Masking Tape for Curves” is neat. It's more flexible than traditional masking tape and ideal for gentle curves, tighter curves on flat surfaces. Because of it's low adhesion, it struggles with compound curves. I look forward to using the stuff in the future and I think twill make a great addition to the masking toolbox.

On a side note, I noticed the tape is manufactured by, Nitto and branded Tamiya. I poked around on the ol' interweb for a few minutes looking for an unbranded version but found nothing. If there is an unbranded version of this tape out there it may be less expensive.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:37 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Tamyia's New, “Masking Tape for Curves”.

I definitely need that in my arsenal. Thank you, Tom!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:53 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Tamyia's New, “Masking Tape for Curves”.

Dave, Jay found some kind of ultra thin tape on Amazon that sticks down, but doesn't pull the paint up. I'll have to ask him who makes it, and see if I can find a link on Amazon.

Never mind, found it: http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Pinstripi...n+masking+tape

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.