Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default A slight distraction: Trumpeter's 1/350 German Z-25 Destroyer

Hi all,

I needed a slight distraction in between my own Trek builds so I decided to work on Trumpeter's 1/350 Narvik Class Z-25 Destroyer. And since I have a slight fetish for WWII Destroyers this kit is the perfect match. This kit represents the 1944 upgrade when they removed one of the 5.9" single turrets and added a ton of light and medium AA guns to counter the Allied control of the skies.

The hull is a nice size at ~12" long. There's a ton of extra parts included as they must use universal trees for the different varients of the Narvik out there. That's one of the charming things with the Narvik Class is that each ship was modified differently so they are all unique. Not to mention they were very large destroyers at 2600 tons. Anyhow, the only thing I didn't like was the fact that this is a full hull kit and I prefer waterline. Oh well, can't win them all.

Of course I can't build this OOB now, can I? The Cat convinced me after looking at his Big S build that I needed to add brass barrels and a wood deck. I also picked up some DKM railings since none are included and some Eduard PE figures. I'm not too impressed with the figures as they are not really 3D looking to me. The brass barrels, however, are outstanding!

Here is the kit 5.9" guns:

And here's an assembled twin turret with the brass barrels:

It took me a while to decide how to approach building and painting this ship. Since the hull and superstructure are all one color and the deck and upper decks are a different color I decided to build and paint all of the superstructure and hull sections first. It makes sense as well because they are a lighter color. Then I'll have a minimum of taping needed to paint the deck sections.

For right now I wanted to start working on most of the smaller parts including the AA guns and small stuff like the funnels. The kit comes with a good amount of PE details as can be seen with the AA splinter shields.

Working on the small brass barrels was a major PITA but I brought it on myself. For the smaller 20mm and 37mm AA I didn't have the right size drill bit (.3mm) so I cheated and snipped off the ends of the brass barrels to glue them on flush.....big mistake. I ended up bending a couple and not getting a couple on perfectly straight. Learning curve big-time. Other than that it was good....the barels look so much better than the kit supplied ones.

Well....that's it for now. I'll update as I get more into her. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (187.5 KB, 0 views)

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Last edited by lakespeed; 02-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: A slight distraction: Trumpeter's 1/350 German Z-25 Destroyer

Lookin good bro!

'Course, you'd be done now if that damned Cat fella wouldn't have stuck his nose in there and talked you into correcting it....

Are you taking in to WF?

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb
Lookin good bro!
Thanks....making good progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb
'Course, you'd be done now if that damned Cat fella wouldn't have stuck his nose in there and talked you into correcting it....
Yeah, no shit! I just said that to Dave yesterday. Those brass barrels are sweet but were a bitch to do. Now that I've ordered the right tools for next time it should go easier. Believe it or not that was also my first experience with PE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb
Are you taking in to WF?
Not planning on it as I'll most likely break it on the way down but you never know.

I don't think I'm going to enter anything this year but I will have all of my built kits down with me for display on the SM or Fed Mod table. But then again.....maybe I'll end up building something for the show.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

That tears it.

FUCK the kit 20mm's - the Big S needs brass barrels on her quads. Same with the 37mm twins. DAMN - those guns look GREAT.

Looking awesome, Eric. Keep it coming!

Hey George - I already mentioned to Eric, but don't those 37mm twins look like Trade Federation tanks?!?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Distancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the roughDistancegrabber is a jewel in the rough

Love the brass barrels, really adds realism to the kit.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post

Hey George - I already mentioned to Eric, but don't those 37mm twins look like Trade Federation tanks?!?

Ooooo...ya know what? They do! Heh-heh....holy shit!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

This is gonna be good!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Oh my!

Ok, been busy with this and aother project but I have made a lot of progress. Painting takes time as I don't dare tape and mask until 24 hours have passed just to be on the safe side. So I waited until I had a lot to show.

All of my colors are Tamiya Acrylics shot through an Iwata. I'm still getting the hang of the paint/thinner ratios with Tamiya as well as the PSI I want to shoot at.

Here I have masked off the upper hull to lay my coat of hull red. I use standard Tamiya Tape (the yellow stuff) to mark off my paint line because the stuff is tight; then I use the cheap low-tack blue to cover my upper areas.

And here's my lower hull:

Now, here I am starting to prep some of my superstructure and hull parts for painting. One thing I like to do is to superglue lightly a piece of snipped off sprue to the underneath of a part I want to spray. I glue it to an area that won't be visible. This way I have a "handle" of sorts for painting that will keep me from getting fingerprints all over everything. These next two pictures show some of the superstructure I want to spray Sky Gray.

Now here.....I have prepped the upper hull for painting. Simple tape over the nice straight hull red and I'm ready to shoot paint.

Now that the hull color is done I leave the lower hull taped. Next step isto paint the thin black hull water line. I can't rcommend the use of Micro-Tape here enough. I purchased some a while back in various sizes through the Starship Modeler store. I found the size I wanted in my supply drawer and proceeded to tape a nice straight line even with my lower hull.

Now, I taped the upper hull straight with the thin line of tape I just placed. Once I was happy it was nice and straight I pulled the thin tape off the ship. Now I have a nice masked area to get that line spayed.

And here's the results! I'd say it was a half-hour well spent.

Now with the superstructure painted it was time to paint the decks of those areas. The instructions called for Olive Green. No idea where they came up with that color (it could have been their translation in colors from Mr. Hobby to Tamiya) but I opted to use German Grey instead. It matched up pretty well to the color sheet and offered nice contrast.

Here's I've started taping up all of the inner walls with Micro Tape again:

And now I've started spraying the deck and smaller parts. One thing I do for painting flat parts like the deck sections is to take some tack tape and roll it into a circle.....I then attach them to the bottom of the deck pieces and then stick those to my cardboard to spray on. This way the parts are elevated a little so they don't stick to my spraying surface and I don't have to worry about paint getting stuck around the edges. As you noticed I also use thick chunks of styrofoam to stick my smaller pieces in. Now you know why I like to glue them like that!

And here's the end results with all the masking removed. Not bad....a couple of tiny spots to touch up but not bad at all.

Here's a closeup of the wood deck:

And here's just a little playing around. There's still a lot of work to do but hopefully in about a week I will have another big update for everyone. Thanks for looking!

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Last edited by lakespeed; 02-13-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
My ass is itchy...

Mmmmm.......Tamiya tape.

Superior products produce superior results.....

Lookin bad-ass my man!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
Mmmmm.......Tamiya tape.

Superior products produce superior results.....

Lookin bad-ass my man!
Thanks George!

There's a few spots where I need to touch up the paint.....and I'm still learning my Iwata so it's not perfect.....but....every build has fewer and fewer "imperfections" in the process.

I can't express enough how much I've learned in terms of tips and technique from a lot of the members here, yourself included.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Last edited by lakespeed; 02-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
I can't express enough how much I've learned in terms of tips and technique from a lot of the members here, yourself included.

I have to second this sentiment. I've only done the one model (Big S) in acrylics so far, but from the way the paint looks and from what I'm able to do to it, I'm VERY happy with the techniques I'm picking up from you and some other fellows!

Eric, I love how she's looking so far and I can't wait to see more
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
My ass is itchy...

Thanks gents! I gotta be able to give something back in return for everything I've learned---anything I can add.

And I still got a lot to learn...lots more mistakes to make too!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Looking good!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Don't drink the resin!

dasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond reputedasphule has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain with PE bits! I prefer 1/700 ships, so imagine my nightmarish experiences! Still, nothing is more satisfying than finishing a PE covered ship without ruining all of your hard work while painting! I think you're doing a fraggin awesome job on her so far! All of your crying at me over at FPK is obviously all a smokescreen cuz you gots the skills mah fren! You got this shit down and handled! Only thing I saw that I'd done differently would be to spray light to dark instead of dark to light as you did. That hull woulda been a great practice for preshading, too.

She'll finish out as a winner I'm sure. Take some time now before you get too far and figure out a display configuration that is airliner friendly; this MUST come down to Nats in August! I'll be sure to get on something as soon as possible so she won't be sitting on the table all alone!

Erin
<*>

Last edited by dasphule; 02-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasphule View Post
I feel your pain with PE bits! I prefer 1/700 ships, so imagine my nightmarish experiences! Still, nothing is more satisfying than finishing a PE covered ship without ruining all of your hard work while painting! I think you're doing a fraggin awesome job on her so far! All of your crying at me over at FPK is obviously all a smokescreen cuz you gots the skills mah fren! You got this shit down and handled! Only thing I saw that I'd done differently would be to spray light to dark instead of dark to light as you did. That hull woulda been a great practice for preshading, too.

She'll finish out as a winner I'm sure. Take some time now before you get too far and figure out a display configuration that is airliner friendly; this MUST come down to Nats in August! I'll be sure to get on something as soon as possible so she won't be sitting on the table all alone!

Erin
<*>
Thanks man!

You're right on the hull with the preshading......I was having such shitty results before (well maybe not so bad but I wasn't happy with them) and was planning on using acrylics that I didn't bother. It's something I really need to work on skill-wise.

I'm hoping with the really thin wash of Payne's Gray I am planning on with bring out all of that detail on the hull.

The hull oddly enough was the only area I did dark to light. My thinking was that because I knew I'd have a black line in between the red and the gray that any overspill would be covered. The superstructure sections I did light to dark but as you can see I "over-masked" a couple of areas....an easy fix to touch up though.

Would you have just sprayed the whole hull gray and then just masked off for the lower hull and black line? I was concerned with bleed-through as I am just getting familiar with shooting Tamiya but as I am finding out I'm wayyyy to cautious when trying new things. I just need to tighten up the ballsack and do it!

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Last edited by lakespeed; 02-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.