Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

I just got it and my first impression is that it's the Ashley Greene of kits: Gorgeous and beautiful and sexy, and practically perfect except for something odd about the tip of the nose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crest.jpg (11.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 12-31-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dragon's upcoming 1/350 Scharnhorst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I just got it and my first impression is that it's the Ashley Greene of kits: Gorgeous and beautiful and sexy, and practically perfect except for something odd about the tip of the nose.
hrmmmm haven't noticed anything myself.

In other news, my new Yamato just shipped.

So cave in and get those barrels and Veteran detail bits yet? muhahaha

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

No gorram comment about the new Yamato.

Barrels and other details: I think the KA set will be fine for PE. It came with laser cut maple for the ship's boats, and I am HEAVILY tempted to get their full deck set. It's almost paper thin and looks like a freshly holystoned deck oughta look. Gorgeous.

Barrels - after looking at the kit barrels, I think I'm going with the Brass. With that in mind, I'm planning on going without blastbags. I just don't trust the ds plastic to hold up over time. If I *do* decide to use them, I'm going to try drilling them out and sliding them down over the full-length barrels.

Speaking of armament, there's a bit of a problem with the main turrets. As in, the fucking barbettes are molded as part of the turret! This means they won't be able to turn properly. Check this out:

More about the bow. Here's how it was made - note the pinched-in areas and the fact that the stem is rounded off. The real stem, especially at the waterline, was almost razor-sharp. Not so here:

A fellow on another forum filled the pinched-in areas with putty and did a lot of sanding. Screw that noise - I don't like the idea of losing all those porthole brows. Sooo - I figured out a halfway okay fix.

I hare-lipped the ship.

I took a saw and cut out a lot of the bottom support area and split the stem almost up to the anchor's hawsehole (sounds disgusting!)

I folded a piece of 220 grit and stuck it in the split and sanded it:

***at this point I went ahead and attached the main deck. I didn't want it splitting apart later.

I cut a piece of sprue and superglued it in at the point where the pinch seemed the worstest:

When it dried, I laid the superglue to the inside of the split and clamped it tight. When the glue cured I had:

So, I had to give Ashley Greene *another* nose job!

One other thing: The degaussing cables are missing. No biggie - some 1mm half round will cure that.

Well... that's about it build-wise. I have other projects that need finishing right now, so I don't expect to get back to this ship before 1 January at the earliest. I'll start a full and proper build thread then. I will, of course, be gazing at her and thinking about her between now and then!

Still need to decide on a color scheme...
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

oooooo that's what you meant about nose job. Sorry man, thought you were talking about the Fubuki's....my bad!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

This is gonna be a cool build! Looking forward to more.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thanks, Mr Simmons! I can't wait either. I'm going to put LOVE into this one.

Aaron: I went and ordered a set of brass barrels. Happy now, you arm-twisting....arm twister?!? Sprue Brothers has them on sale for $14 a set.
I like the other details you showed me. They're on my shopping list now.

Have I told you lately that I love this ship???
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Thanks, Mr Simmons! I can't wait either. I'm going to put LOVE into this one.

Aaron: I went and ordered a set of brass barrels. Happy now, you arm-twisting....arm twister?!? Sprue Brothers has them on sale for $14 a set.
I like the other details you showed me. They're on my shopping list now.

Have I told you lately that I love this ship???
Sorry lad I've been out of touch. Been kinda busy with making ends meet, the gym, work around the house, and surprisingly at my bench.

Ya can't beat a nice set of barrels. I'll warn you, I find Veteran's destructions kinda lacking and you ABSOLUTELY need awesome tweezers and a saint's patience to build those sets. But the detail is jaw dropping.

For the record, I don't twist arms. I merely encourage.

Also, I'll be picking up Yamato tomorrow from the post office. Yum yum. :P

Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM

I almost always find others builds inspiring so I offer up this for your viewing pleasure;

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall.../kk-index.html

Enjoy.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

^^ My build won't look that good.

Okay, I've played around a little more with this kit. Got the brass gun barrels in - and believe me they're much better than the kit parts! Got a KA wood deck. Looks fantastic. I have some of the main structures together - it looks like the ship now. That's about as far as I can go.

General impression: DAMN WELL worth getting. A couple areas need addressing, like the bow. My little trick sharpened it, but didn't eliminate the need for putty. No big deal - it's something that any modeller with some experience can handle. It's just a bit aggravating seeing flaws like this on such a magnificently-engineered kit.

The instructions could use some improvement. They try to cram way too many operations into steps, as if they thought instructions with less steps are better or something. Many of the operations are vague as regards to parts placement, and there are some downright errors. The way to cure that - check your references.

No matter what - it's a fine kit of a gorgeous ship. I can't wait to dig in!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Default Re: SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

Don't have pics ready yet - but let's just say that while there are a few small flaws, this is a beautiful kit. Also I must say that KA's wooden decks are absolutely AMAZING. They look great and turn a chore into something FUN.

2012: The Year of the Kriegsmarine for me!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM

I won't lie to you, those precut wooden decks just don't do it for me man. Not sure why either. Is that KA deck the type you have to glue down your self, or does it have glue on one side already?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
It's gonna get real now.

hehehe let me take some beauty pics - you *may* rethink your opinion. I wouldn't have thought I'd like them, but I just can't get over how good it looks.

KA's decks are self-adhesive. I'm thinking that's the way to go, because I was worried about getting glues spread evenly, and also worried about them soaking through the wood.

It's a stout adhesive, and once it's on, it's on - but I figured out a couple tricks for getting it in place fairly easily.

I like the veneer style decks. I wouldn't be fond of a deck like Nautilus, where the wood totally replaces the plastic. Also, if the model's decks were to be painted, like in my North Carolina build, I wouldn't bother with wood.

Damn, I love this ship!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

All this work. All this attention to detail. All this time and effort to do a first rate job. All the tips and things you're giving us so far.....

And all I keep thinking about is the use of the word, "worstest".

All I can do is apologise.

Rob.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Dude. Do NOT exclude yourself from the attention-to-detail arena. The stuff you do on your S:1999 stuff?

Damn!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

I do, and you should too.

I'm just anal.

YOUR'S is skill.

I've more than once wasted a complete 12" X 24" piece of .040" styrene just to make a 1/2" X 1/2" square.....

and then realise I should have used .020"

Rob.