Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 02-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

I like how you're leaving the armature and working it in. Very real!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Lou from Aztec Dummy did a wonderful job in creating this set of custom vinyl masks for the registry and pennants which arrived yesterday. It occurred to me when I received them that I forgot about creating art for the other geometric symbols on the hull, namely the ones on the bottom of the secondary. Since this is a late-TOS era ship, maybe these symbols are obsolete as they were no longer seen by TMP. Maybe they are Constitution-Class-only markings. What are they anyway? They wouldn't fit at their current scale anyway - unless I resized or did something similar, but different.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Loving the look! I'll take one of those - and either woman on the end please!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
I forgot about creating art for the other geometric symbols on the hull, namely the ones on the bottom of the secondary. Since this is a late-TOS era ship, maybe these symbols are obsolete as they were no longer seen by TMP. Maybe they are Constitution-Class-only markings. What are they anyway?
As I recall, those are various hatches for cargo, fuel, and maybe even the warp core. Maybe create your own design for similar, yet different?

I love seeing people painting on their markings instead of decals. Just another way people are stepping up their game.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Lou from Aztec Dummy did a wonderful job in creating this set of custom vinyl masks for the registry and pennants which arrived yesterday. It occurred to me when I received them that I forgot about creating art for the other geometric symbols on the hull, namely the ones on the bottom of the secondary. Since this is a late-TOS era ship, maybe these symbols are obsolete as they were no longer seen by TMP. Maybe they are Constitution-Class-only markings. What are they anyway? They wouldn't fit at their current scale anyway - unless I resized or did something similar, but different.
[...]
I always thought they were docking/reloading/hatch reticles-- visual indicators to a repair or reload crew at a starbase, planning on a quick reload. Ship comes in, stevedores watch the colored square or circle move into place, activate clamps, then load/offload things through hatches on the hull which are known (geometrically) to be in perfect position with corresponding hatches and gangways on the starbase.
Imagine a tour on a starbase, with a ship freshly docked: "That circular marking indicates a hatch through which we offload 25 empty deuterium tanks in 6 minutes flat, and reload full tanks just as quick. And now, over on the left, you'll see the gift shop..."

Me? I'd TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY have markings like that on the base of my model. Same, or at least similar -- even if TMP didn't have them, this ship clearly evokes TOS, and the graphics would underscore that...

Ooo, it's like a game of "I Spy" for Trek modeling nerds. I'm in:

1) The paper admiral Macready makes his return.
2) gorgeous boudoir ladies overseeing the project?
3) "3mm orange..." resistors? By the bagful?
4) Errant shuttle parked near a disembodied shuttle bay, and deflector...
5) Abandoned lower-saucer attempt? (Far left side of photo)
6) Mego/Barbie scale "Admiral Buck" action figure in the command chair...
7) Vinyl stencils FTW! (A technique I am hoping to try someday...)
8) A packet of Photoetch
9) a hidden 1/1000 Eagle- dangit, Hood, behind the paper Admiral...
10) A ball of twine for the Admiral's cat...?

Awesome work. I even love the saucer hatches...

Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
I always thought they were docking/reloading/hatch reticles-- visual indicators to a repair or reload crew at a starbase, planning on a quick reload. Ship comes in, stevedores watch the colored square or circle move into place, activate clamps, then load/offload things through hatches on the hull which are known (geometrically) to be in perfect position with corresponding hatches and gangways on the starbase.
Imagine a tour on a starbase, with a ship freshly docked: "That circular marking indicates a hatch through which we offload 25 empty deuterium tanks in 6 minutes flat, and reload full tanks just as quick. And now, over on the left, you'll see the gift shop..."

Me? I'd TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY have markings like that on the base of my model. Same, or at least similar -- even if TMP didn't have them, this ship clearly evokes TOS, and the graphics would underscore that...
I agree! Something will be done. Gift Shop hatches are Priority Number One aboard the Savoy Express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
Ooo, it's like a game of "I Spy" for Trek modeling nerds. I'm in:

1) The paper admiral Macready makes his return.
2) gorgeous boudoir ladies overseeing the project?
3) "3mm orange..." resistors? By the bagful?
4) Errant shuttle parked near a disembodied shuttle bay, and deflector...
5) Abandoned lower-saucer attempt? (Far left side of photo)
6) Mego/Barbie scale "Admiral Buck" action figure in the command chair...
7) Vinyl stencils FTW! (A technique I am hoping to try someday...)
8) A packet of Photoetch
9) a hidden 1/1000 Eagle- dangit, Hood, behind the paper Admiral...
10) A ball of twine for the Admiral's cat...?

Awesome work. I even love the saucer hatches...

1. He's ever vigilant.
2. Courtesy of The Cat
3. 3mm orange LEDs + resistors. There are dozens of bags of 5mm, 3mm, 2mm, round top and light house style LEDs in white, red, green, orange, blue and yellow in a box to the left (not seen).
4. Yes!
5. Not abandoned. That is THE lower dome section still under construction - window ports. Still.
6. Sentinel Chief Security Officer
7. (2) copies of vinyl stencils!
8. Paragrafix PE 350 Refit
9. That's the 350 Archer class USS Tomahawk showing her warp drives.
10. Ball of ancient twine!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 AM
All ahead full

The Sentinel's main power distribution board was soldered yesterday. This is the first time I've ever done this but it seemed easy enough to try. With a small prototype board and components from Adafruit, the board is built with 2 separate banks controlled by adjustable trim pots. This will allow Cabin and hangar lighting to be dimmable with (16) extra two-pin connectors for direct distribution.

A separate 6v board controls the navigation and strobes.

A new impulse drive system was acquired too. This Starling Tech board was designed for Battlestar engines with strobe effect control up to 20 LEDs.

Two additional boards for Sentinel Avionics bay include the Tenacontrol hangar landing light sequencer and a two-light railroad crossing blinker to power two 1.8mm blue LEDs above the open hangar door.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

All this electronic awesomeness is giving me a headache.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Klingon View Post
All this electronic awesomeness is giving me a headache.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 AM
All ahead full

Progress on Sentinel is slow but steady. For each "to-do" on the list, there are about 27 little sub items to do before I can check it off as done. Three solid days of work on her over the weekend yielded a wiring harness for the bridge module and mating the bridge to the spine with a lot of bodywork massaging the seam.

The LED landing light harness was replaced with half as many lights and doubling them 1mm jacketed fiber optics to save premium space under the main hangar deck. I drilled two holes into the top of four 5mm white LEDs to which the fiber was epoxied and covered with shrink tubing. I found that superglue and fiber optics don't play well as the glue makes the fiber extremely brittle.

I had damaged the top white bridge dome part and The Cat came to the rescue with a replacement. Dixie is well pleased .

Joined and primed Bridge/Strongback:

A 3mm blue LED is placed into the spine fin as the upper hangar beacon. Followers of this thread may note the not-so-subtle reference to other 5-0 nods on this craft.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
the Vinyl Frontier

Aztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond reputeAztek Dummy has a reputation beyond repute

that's just dead sexy!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek Dummy View Post
that's just dead sexy!
Thanks Lou! I don't think she'll get sexy until those registry masks get used.

Another construction milestone completed, the last of the many brass window ports (on the primary edge and lower dome) were finished yesterday and by coincidence, the laser-cut acrylic inserts for all of them arrived the very day.

These were done by Matt Davis at Laserfire Creations who also produced a brand new base plaque for me. Not that the original one wasn't good but this one is spectacular, I think.

The impulse engine lights were redone from the original plan of using the slow fading rotating beacon circuit from the nav board. Now installed is a Starling Tech BSG engine effect board. This is basically a flicker effect, alternating on two circuits that can power up to 20 LEDs. After some testing, having all 10 LEDs in the drives flicker - even alternating - was enough to cause a seizure. So, I left the red LEDs (3 in each drive) remain solid and used the flicker effect for the two orange LEDs within each housing. This seems just subtle enough. I imagine this as the drives at "idle" and when thrust is commanded at the helm, the flicker would dissipate.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 AM
I hate Illinois Nazis

Isurus is on a distinguished road

Stunning work! I'm speechless...
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Looking great! Besides the model work, I an soooo grateful for nice clear photography. Nothing worse than a headache from fuzzy photos....
Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 PM

Damn, she's looking better every day. The impulse lighting looks great. Can't wait to see it in action!