Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 AM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold
Default Rub 'n Buff?

Just wondering, does anyone here use Rub 'n Buff for that aluminum look on aircraft models?

I just picked up a Revell Convair 990 kit from a local auction site. Thing has to be over 30 years old as the kit was manufactured in New Zealand (and that ain't happened for at least 30 years).
Assembly instructions are copyright 1964...

Only missing one tail plane (horizontal stabilizer?) which I can fabricate easily enough.

Kit comes with Swissair decals, still in good condition and usable by the look of them.

Just wondering whether Rub 'n Buff is good enough to replicate this look:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4_edited-3.jpg

or should I perhaps finish it as a NASA plane, all gray and off-white with airbrushed markings?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2-05275-30.jpg

Last edited by Jim NCC1701A; 12-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Rub 'n Buff?

Hi Jim and welcome to RI!

Sorry, can't be much help with your query, but I'm pretty sure you sent me a bunch of old LSD ship kit parts way over 10 years ago for my Galactica? Have a great Christmas (not 'holidays') won't ya?

Mike
Old 12-18-2013, 07:26 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

NASA, NASA, NASA........

If you wanna go the "other" way , use Alclad. Rub-n-buff is very finnicky, and really won't give that look your trying to get.

Now, if you're really feeling adventurous, try the Bare-Metal Foil.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBattlestar View Post
Hi Jim and welcome to RI!

Sorry, can't be much help with your query, but I'm pretty sure you sent me a bunch of old LSD ship kit parts way over 10 years ago for my Galactica? Have a great Christmas (not 'holidays') won't ya?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks

Yup, that was me with the old Lindberg pieces. Over 10 years ago? Wow, time flies...

Merry Christmas to you too
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM
The Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb View Post
NASA, NASA, NASA........

If you wanna go the "other" way , use Alclad. Rub-n-buff is very finnicky, and really won't give that look your trying to get.

Now, if you're really feeling adventurous, try the Bare-Metal Foil.
Hmm, NASA you say George?

TBH I'm not sure if we even have Alclad out here, would have to check the hobby shops.

Bare-Metal Foil? What's that?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

Super thin sheets of aluminum with adhesive backs. Easier to work with than foil and metal glue.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM
The Kiwi

Thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

What All-Thumbs said....

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM
The Kiwi

Got it. Thanks George.
Sheesh, between that and Alclad I think I'd be over extending on my rusty modeling and painting abilities...
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 AM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
Got it. Thanks George.
Sheesh, between that and Alclad I think I'd be over extending on my rusty modeling and painting abilities...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 AM
BOING BOING BOING

allthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond reputeallthumbs has a reputation beyond repute

I hear that. Me...I'd go allclad II. Primer, black base, and paint will cost you a few bucks but it'll last you a few projects down the road. Aluminum skin is for the experienced guys. I have some but lack the testicular fortitude to use it.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 AM
My ass is itchy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbs View Post
I hear that. Me...I'd go allclad II. Primer, black base, and paint will cost you a few bucks but it'll last you a few projects down the road. Aluminum skin is for the experienced guys. I have some but lack the testicular fortitude to use it.
Agreed. Once you use Alclad, you'll be hooked!

Just make sure the suface is sanded/polished to perfection as it will show every surface flaw.