Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God
Default Some Weekend Shipwrighting Of A Sort...

Or another one to come off the 'done it years ago, time for a better job' kit list. Not an indepth WIP, just some snaps here and here for the hell of it. Well that and I seriously needed a short break from SF hardware.

For this particular turnout, the Artisania Latina Scottish Maid 1839.
Bit of history now so pay attention at the back!

Designed and built in direct competition to them new fangled steam powered buckets, the ship was intended to be a fast sailing vessel under heavy cargo. Her stem design was called 'Aberdeen Bow' and hull build reminiscent of the clipper ships.

Her fast sailing qualities were perfect for the Aberdeen/London trade runs where speed was a crucial factor in light of the new steam drive technology.
The ship was built in 1839 by Alexander Hall & Co., Aberdeen, at a cost of 1700. Which is knocking on the door of about 150,000 today.

Back to the nub of the matter. As I said, did this one some while back, 2002 to be a bit more precise. I did take some pics but they vanished a long while ago with the exception of one.
This be it.

Did a bit of conversion to the kit back then. Added a cargo hold representation and scratchbuilt a ships boat. May still do that lot, undecided as yet.

Now then, got this kit cheap off weevilbay, a rather old issue so the quality of some of the timber was not that great. Namely the veneer for the deck (Mukali) and outer hull planking (Mahogany). Problem being that it was majorly inconsistant width wise in the order of as much as 1/32" difference.

That lot got binned and a fresh load duly grabbed from the spare timber pile. Deck planks in lime wood this time.

So a plank on bulkhead construction, this was assembled and sorted in short order and the first layer of planks nailed and glued on. Plywood bulwarks also attached.

A bit of a sanding down sodding about followed.

From there, the deck planks got sliced up in to 6" lengths, packed together and a strip of black paper glued to the pack edge. When dry, the planks were sliced apart leving a thin line of black paper along one edge.

When glued down and sanded this will simulate the tar/pitch caulking usually placed between the planks to make the seal water tight.
The ends got a small amount if paper at each butt join and once down and sanded, a 0.5mm drill in a pin vise to just put a load of tiny holes to simulate the treenails used to secure the deck planks.

The deck sanded with a fine grit sanding pad and then a light coat of wax stain applied and buffed up. The waterway strip duly steam/hot iron bent and fixed down to edge it all off smartly.

Not perfect, buggered up on my initial measurments and put two butt joins next to each other at the stern but can't win' em all.
Well that's this weekend done, more next time.

Go easy out there all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-205F.JPG (127.6 KB, 2 views)
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Some Weekend Shipwrighting Of A Sort...

Wow, this is a nice departure from the norm Ian! Very nice.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Bloody hell that ship's gorgeous!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Glacial Pace Builder

LastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati GodLastBattlestar Resin Illuminati God

Arrrrrr, thee looks good, me hearty!

Mike
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Thanks fellas!
Drew, a departure from the norm is doing the modeling mojo a power of good mate. Besides, I get bored real quick sticking to one genre these days so a change is as good as a rest so good enough for me

Dave, aye she's a pretty lass when done.
Just gotta get her done and see if she still looks as sweet

Mike...ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well started the slow creep down the outer hull planking. As I said before, binned the kit mahogany veneer strips and pulled some walnut from the stock pile.

About 1/3rd done both sides and this is about how it looks.

And after a quick sand down and spirit wipe to clean off the dust...

Yep, starting to get somewhere. This will get the same finish down and treenail marking as the deck so after all done and a wax/stain coat should start looking pretty.
Hope to have the hull planking wrapped up by the end of the week so we'll see.

Go easy gang!
Does that count?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

And that's the outer hull planking dealt with after much wood steaming, bending, slicing, trimming and gritting of teeth.
This is the deal at about 30 mins ago at time of this scribbling.
Planking done, stem, stern post and keel fitted, transom on and glue curing.
Much sanding down get's us this...

A quick wipe down with a turpentine soaked rag to remove all the dust has the added temporary benefit of showing up the timber a bit better.

Like so...

And that's the hardest job done.
In retrospect, it's actually a bit more difficult than just laying single plank runs stem to stern but I wanted to show a more proper individual hull plank look.

In times past I tried the lay one full length plank and cut dividing slices in but it always looks just like that, one plank with lines in it.
I like this one better as it shows slight but noticable differences in colour tone and grain in the timber...but that's just me

Anyway, transom to fair in, strakes to add and many a small treenail to be marked in but that's the lot for now.

Go easy out there all!
Does that count?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Beautiful lines Ian! Very smooth!!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Man, I've wanted to build a kit something "like" that for just about "forever" now? I keep waiting for the day that I feel I have the needed skills AND patience/determination? At this rate, I never will.

But I do so love to see it when such a ship is done proud as you are doing here!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:21 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Ian, mate, when the frak do you SLEEP?

It's looking pretty damn fine. I think I'll forward this to a buddy of mine who is big into sailing ships...he'll probably cream in his jeans!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Beautiful lines Ian! Very smooth!!
Drew, I thank ya old bean.
She does indeed have a nice run of timber down the hull and I loves me some timber work. It's a bloody rare thing lately so I try to make the most of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDuck View Post
Man, I've wanted to build a kit something "like" that for just about "forever" now? I keep waiting for the day that I feel I have the needed skills AND patience/determination? At this rate, I never will.
Sure you will me duck billed buddy, one of these days even if it means I have to send you a fuckin' wooden ship kit meself...so consider yaself warned .

Quote:
But I do so love to see it when such a ship is done proud as you are doing here!
Just trying me best old friend, we'll see how it all goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darth Beavis View Post
Ian, mate, when the frak do you SLEEP?
Nowhere near as often as i'd bleedin' like to Sam believe me!

Quote:
It's looking pretty damn fine. I think I'll forward this to a buddy of mine who is big into sailing ships...he'll probably cream in his jeans!
Cream in his jeans at the sight of a sailing ship eh?
Well to paraphrase a certain ships captain of note..."He needs to find himself a girl mate...he's not a eunuch is he?"

Well more done.
Strakes added, transom faired in, several hundered holes drilled for the faux treenail set up, holes filled and sanded and the hull given a hefty coat of beeswax/woodstain mixture.

The treenail marking is there but subtle. I prefer it that way otherwise it just looks like the hull has a case of the measles.

Starting to look like it should now.

Just love that run of timber on the stern.

Well that's the grunt work on the hull as such, now for the deck fittings and bits...and bobs and stuff.

Go easy out there all!
Does that count?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Weekend Shipwrighting......How long are your weekends. It's the time shifting thing, right. LOL Nice Job.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 PM
acceptus est impugnatio

Thanks John.
Well what can I tell ya mate. Certainly the time shift thing when i'm in the zone or as long as they need to be 'till me be done...either works

Speaking of zones and things, the next round of silliness!
Bulwark support uprights, bulwark paneling, transom support upright and transom thwart installed.
The lot all trimmed and squared away.

And before the next bit, a swift side trip into the odd area of plank bending.
Otherwise known as "You are SO going to bloody fit round that curve without snapping!"

Now then, required kit for this turn out being a bowl of water and one of these...

Plugged in and turned up to high or there abouts.
Taking a plank strip...

And dip into water, take out and let soak for about 30 seconds.

Run the hot iron down the inside flat of the plank on the wet bit while gently lifting the other end.

One more dip and another slide and bend...

A gentle run along the other side to dry the plank completely and it's done.

It just takes practice but it's the simplest and quickest way I know of.

Other benefits being that soaking the plank again and running the iron over the outside can flatten it out again so you have plenty of control over how much bend you need. It can also be twisted as you bend so going over different angles is no problem.

So that lot said, now on to the next little task, the capping rail at the top of the bulwark and transom.
This is a slightly different approach. The timber is walnut and the strip is approx 1/16" thick and about 1/4" wide.
This will have to be bent on the flat so it's pretty much the same thing just takes a fair bit longer.

Here is said strip and a lump of MDF with some nails in it.

So many rounds of soak and bend using the nails as a levering point and a curve starts to appear.

And after much back and forth with the soak, iron steam, check for fit and repeat deal, we get the required shape.

And so this done twice for the port, starboard capping rail and a short length bent for the transom and all glued on.
After glue has cured, trim and sand.

So next on the hit list, deck fittings, rudder and readying up for masting and rigging.

More later I promise
Go easy out there you merry mob!
Does that count?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Mostly Harmless

Neat trick you tricky thing!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Damn, this is great building there! Very nice!!!

B
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

So that's how you bend them pieces?

Didn't have a clue.

But thanks to your WIP techniques being shared I can see it now! Not saying I could replicate that- just saying I see how now.

Thanks for sharing and keeping your tips at our disposal!