Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

shaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud of
Default 1/69th Disney Nautilus

So the other project in the works here while doing the Viper is the Nautilus. Pretty easy build, especially since I opted to not including lighting on this. I have been fighting with the right base color paint scheme the past several days, but I think I finally got something that I like and will work. Next up, intense rust weathering to get the boat to look as it was on the screen. If anyone is curious on the paints I used, happy to explain what I did.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0713.jpg (1.12 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (1.14 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.jpg (1.29 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.jpg (1.28 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0718.jpg (1.27 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0719.jpg (1.21 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0721.jpg (1.34 MB, 15 views)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/69th Disney Nautilus

Looks like a nice one. Look forward to seeing your weathering.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

While I've always liked the Nautilus - in it's various incarnations over the decades - and would sorta like to build one, I've always been sort of put off. I dunno why, either. Maybe all those rivets and my past, bad experiences with Rivet Counters...?

The only design I've never liked is the one in Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. It doesn't look at all like the classic design, instead looking more like a manta ray. It just bugs my delicate Nemo sensibilities.

Which kit is this?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM

shaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud ofshaihulud_42 has much to be proud of

No weathering update yet today, but to answer the kit question, its the Nautilus Drydocks kit (http://www.nautilusdrydocks.com/Brodeen31.html). Actually just got a replacement set of salon windows coming my way today as well. When I purchased the kit a few years ago, they were white metal cast parts, which seemed to crack and have other issues, so those inserts are now being done out of resin. That will help for the final salon window install when necessary instead of having to scratch a replacement for the cracked ones I had.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God

Did a bit of research on my 1/48 scratch years ago. If this is based on a Brodeen, if I remember right, it's fairly accurate. I'm not seeing any inaccuracies. Of course, I was never a "rivet counter", so one or two may not be spaced correctly. LOL
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 AM

In reference to whether this was a Brodeen based model, as far as I know, yes it is. From what I can tell the details seem quite accurate to the 11' studio model. The paint on this, albeit, is more to the screen appearance than the full up brass look on the studio model. I saw your thread previously Beeblebrox and that was quite an impressive scratch build of this boat.

For the weathering, initial start at rusting is nearly complete. Using "Rustall" right now to provide the base. Basically just going over all the rivet and core panel lines with it; not too concerned about how "neat" and clean it is given the blending and inherent nature of rust. Next up will be trying to blend it in appropriately and working some other washes in. Honestly not sure what the best way to proceed on that is, so some further research is going to be undertaken. I found the Rustall works nicely to apply the coat, then use a wet brush a few hours later to help blend a bit and smooth out the harshness of it. There was also a build I saw out there than had a nice green/yellow waterline weathering setup so likely going to approach part of this with that same idea in mind.

After about a day of drying on the Rustall

Immediately after Rustall applied (bottom half of sub)

Contrast between Rustall applied earlier in day and while drying

As always, thanks for looking and any comments/critiques are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (598.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.jpg (644.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (598.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0830.jpg (590.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Well after further research, testing, and general trying of things, found what I think I'm going to go with for a weathering of this boat. Coincidentally, timing wise, Bob Martin, who runs the Nautilus Drydocks site where this model was built, just recently posted a guide to painting the Nautilus with a specific focus on the rusting and weathering (found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DmtnCI4lo). As a result, went with that particular paint, but with a few modifications to the process.

On the first try, top half of the boat came out more orange/yellow and the dry rub/blending didn't seem to work for me. Could be a matter of how long I let it dry, not sure. On the bottom, ended up mixing a bit more vinegar into the paint and the resulting red color and texture effect I liked a lot more. It was still overdone, so ended up doing another light coat of the base over the rust, and now reworking the top (also fixes some of the streaks from the rust on the bottom running to the top). I actually think this works better since if one figures a boat is repainted/etc after rust is removed, this will build up over time in a various layered effect. As a result, after this next top coat is dry, I will still end up doing a light airbrush of the base coat color over the rust to help blend it. It might take a third application too, not sure yet. Right now it is also being finished with a flat coat, but likely going to go with a semi-gloss to to get the wet boat effect and I've noticed the flat coat seems to make it look too light overall. That being said, happy with the way this is turning out, so nearing the end of the core weathering. Some slight pastel work is still needed, but that will be near the very end of it all.

Now on to the pictures

After rust solution applied to top and bottom, before blending layer added (plus streaking from solution draining off underside):

After blending layer and flat coat:

Much nicer texture effect and color on bottom

As always, any comments or critiques are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1045.jpg (831.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (805.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1058.jpg (850.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1061.jpg (820.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1062.jpg (891.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1069.jpg (789.7 KB, 45 views)