Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Miscellaneous Models

Miscellaneous Models WIPs of all other types of models

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God
Default Indy II Mine Cart

I've so been wanting to do this for a long time, and at long last (thanks to finding the little Hasbro figures, yet sad that there is no toy of this to compliment them), am having a go at the Mine Cart.

The chassis is made of cardboard and I could really have some fun adding a grimy texture surface to it. The rest of the work is regular styrene strips, some kit sprue, brass rods and wires. Don't know how accurate it is as some small areas are a guess.

I might get a little stalled on the wheels but (fingers crossed) I think I have a solution to build them, and all that will be left then (I think) are the break pads and lanterns.

Hoping this comes together fast, so far it's been fun to do.

Thanks for looking and enjoy
Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Indy II Mine Cart

What a cool idea and fun to boot! Looks like you're off to a great start in bringing it together.

You probably already know, but the Model Railrod side of this hobby has alot of stuff like wheels, even made specifically for the mining industry although I don't know of an exact match for style and scale?

Hope to watch the progress on this one as it develops!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Very Cool Rider!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

What my duck billed buddy said about the fun and cool, this piece has both!
Always enjoy seeing stuff like this, top job so far Rider
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Thank you all so very much

A bit more progress.

I didn't plan to, but decided to have a go at making a little A4 sized base and some track. Still needs some work

Darth Duck, absolutely good call, I had been looking for a while, sad to say I found nothing as of yet. These wheels are my Plan B brought to fruition
I cannot for the life of me find any matt brown paint either , had to use enamel, but am in the process of matting it down.

Hoping at the very least to find a watch battery hub for the lanterns. (Not wired in yet).
Also having to accept that the figures are too clean/colorful and they're going to need to be dirtied up (I don't want to tamper with them but... it has to be done ).

Thank you so very much for looking and hope you enjoy some more
Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Damn that was fast! Nice job!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 PM
El Guapo

dbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of Alldbhs Overlord Master of All

Fantastic work. Great scratch building.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Not to scale

robn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of Allrobn1 Overlord Master of All

Very cool, good job! Cinefex had a lot of pics of the stop motion model.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Qrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of lightQrest Fourstar is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know what I'm more jealous of. The fact you made a great little mine cart, or that you havethe TOD figures to put in it.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

Well if I may be so bold, no need to do anything to the bucket section of the cart. It's a dead ringer for rough beaten sheet iron if ever i've seen it.
The ground work, though it might still need some work on the tracks and the like, the base groundwork is pretty much there for mud slurry from what my peepers can see. I'd be happy with that meself.

Anything added to that will be a bonus but this is turning out to be a peach thus far Rider, continue sah!
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

Now that's just excellent, just plain old fashioned excellent.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Rider,
Absolutely sweet so far!

Not to be a critic but because I did a very long sting as model railroader perhaps I can offer:

Most all forms of "rail" are of a similar design. Somewhat like an 'I' in crossection section but with the base being wider than the top. Rail is identified by it's "weight per length" such as 120lb rail (old days mainline for a fullsize railroad), 80lb which would be lighter in weight and load bearing capacity and used for 'sidings' or even mainilne on a 'narrow guage' railroad, down to something like 40lb rail for short industrial spurs. The lighter the weight rail, the less prepared or maintained the "bed" upon which the rail was laid- the more "undulations" would be apparent across any span of rail and a well used mine track would often be laid quickly, cheaply with the lightest rail to do the task and over the least amount of cross ties as possible. Cross ties would cost more to be milled sqaure so would often just be logs with rails spiked atop them. You could match up visually what might seem right for your track with existing model railroad track already available in various scales. You could then just tear the metal rails away from the plastic portions which will undoubably wrong for your mine setting. There are custom (more expensive) replicas of everything ever used too! But it can come down to buying raw lengths of rail, lil spikes and then "handlaying" the whole track system- which your already doing. Also most all track is basiclly "weathered rust" except for the very top section and that portion of the "inner top" that the wheels contact and those would be anything from a highly polished look if often used to some form of weathered "silver" shade. Or, totally dark weathered iron/steel (originally iron then later steel) if "abandoned".

My longwinded point being- if you feel compelled a lil time spent at a model railroad supply shop or catalog/website, could duplicate the track "better" if you want? Also wheels are 'tapered' in cross section from the face to the flange to facilitate them riding up and enabling them to traverse a curve. A form of built in "banking" smoothing the travel of a car through a radius. Otherwise the effect would be like a car without a differential in the rearend when the outer wheel chatters for trying to cover more distance than the inner wheel it is linked to by the axle.

And finally- yes, "brown" can seem hard to find. You might check into the 'military flats' that most mfgs offer and you can get some browns and then you might add a dollop of black to color match. OR, check your craft store and those lil acrylic hobby paints like "Appel Barrel" come in almost every hue.

I offer this in case it helps- not trying to seem critical because I already like what you've got!

Last edited by DarthDuck; 07-01-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

GKvfx has disabled reputation

Dammit Rider - you just had to do this, didn't you? Now, because I saw how cool this looks, and the fact that I have an "Temple of Doom" screening at the end of the month, I'm going to have build one of these in studio scale!. Great, another project with less than a month to go! Thanks for the inspiration!

Gene
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm and kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn1 View Post
Very cool, good job! Cinefex had a lot of pics of the stop motion model.
I so wish I had not only that issue but pretty much all the Cinefex's. I've not yet thanked you for all the references you take the time and trouble to post on this board. It's both invaluable and great that so many of us can catch up on such gems. So thank you robn1 .

As a note to this build, the reference I'm going by is the picture in the SW to IJ Archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDuck View Post

Snippiage

I offer this in case it helps- not trying to seem critical because I already like what you've got!
No worries at all Darth Duck, it's always an honor to have feedback and input and all the experience and insight you have shared is invaluable and most welcomed. Thank you dearly for your guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKvfx View Post
Dammit Rider - you just had to do this, didn't you? Now, because I saw how cool this looks, and the fact that I have an "Temple of Doom" screening at the end of the month, I'm going to have build one of these in studio scale!. Great, another project with less than a month to go! Thanks for the inspiration!

Gene
Damnit Gene, you always get the crap gigs , that sounds totally awesome, and I hope we get to see this project documented in the same manner as with all the generosity of the builds you share. I think you'll make the deadline too Good luck with this one and enjoy the process and movie screening

Here's a bit more:-

Really, this should have been finished by now, but, it's trailing just a little bit, but thought I'd share some updates.

First up, some more work done on the scene, I had a lot of fun making the barrel, need to make an oil drum next.

I got pretty lucky and found a little whicker basket from a Roman figure toy and added it alongside the other little pieces.

There's a lovely little oil lantern ontop of the barrel in the archives pic, not been able to find one but instead found this lamp which I think comes from either a train or doll house supplier, I probably won't use it in this, but I still thought it was neat.

I tried making a new track with a more apt beam design, but this one looks a bit too big, gonna try as Darth Duck sais, to find a more suitable scale/design.

Here's a little group shot of the figures grimed up a bit. (Still a work in process).

And lastly for now, a lighting test. Have yet to find watch battery hubs (out of stock at mo), so Shorty's standing on some AA's, making him, well, less Shorty at the moment...

As always, thank you kindly for looking and enjoy
Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Yay. Me Drum'N'Bass