Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 AM

swpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura about
Default "A scout class wessel." PavelChekov

Hey studio scale nuts! Just a lil inside on a project I’ve been dreaming about for years. A small group of us have been working on this for the past 5 months. Leaving the Star Wars universe for a bit….
The ILM studio scale Bird of Prey! 39” from nose to tail!
That’s right! Construction is underway!
When breaking down a replica of this magnitude careful planning is in order. With limited reference available it was almost impossible to build a BoP part for part accurate… till a few months ago. I received about 40 photographs taken by an industry master of the BoP! He worked on ST III ISFS and STIV the Voyage home. I learned about the hero model and well as the foam version and the Pyro models.. to make three of those … someone has the molds to the BoP out there.. wish I know who it was……
How are we going to pull this off? Technology folks is the key! Im so lucky to join forces with two of the best 3D artists out there! Our very own Michael Reis and Ron Headly of Custom Replicas fame! We have collected the best reference available and have broken down every screen cap, photograph and drawings in attempt to deliver a part for part accurate BoP.
We are not making a fan made “looks like a BoP” in studio scale model.
This model will be as accurate as possible to the filming miniature. Scale, movable wings, lights and accurate kit part detailing is standard with this build.
After researching known reference we have created a study model in the computer. We are checking line and form to see the best way to approach its production. Here are a few shots of the study model.

Now we have taken studio model reference and scale data to begin to produce the parts that make up the BoP see pics below. These are still work in progress shots. Progress none the less.

Each of us own all the BOP kits ever produced. We can see the inaccuracies on each and the parts they got right. Anyone who knows my Star Wars kits will know that it’s got to be accurate or its not worth doing.
I’ve been able to make about about 12 kits and about 25 parts! Luckily for me ILM used some of the same kits used in their studio scale Star Wars stuff! Well enough about part lets talk about the process!

Once the main hull and body parts are made and approved we will use CNC, STL, laser cutting and other means to produce the master patterns. Molds will be made of the super detailed parts and apoxy shells will be produced. These shells will fit onto a metal armature that will support the replica and wing hinge mech.
There will be plant ons of accurate details that will be produced in resin. Each wing will be made of sandwiched acrylic with the 3 layer feather pattern laser cut and glued down. Very strong! A wing drive mechanism has been designed and will raise and lower the wings. A sound designer in Denver, Colorado has taken the job of producing coordinated sound effects.. cloaking …weapons… firing ect.
The Bop will be displayed on a lighted replica weapons console from the actual bridge of the live action BoP! Display screens shown cloaking, weapons status and other cool blips and pings are there!
So it’s time to get your Klingon…on… I will update this thread as new renders are produced and throughout its production to include molding and casting of the parts!
KAPLA!
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 383325592.jpg (33.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Kuhn Global; 03-03-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 AM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: "A scout class wessel." PavelChekov

KAPLA indeed.
Good luck with this, it's looking great.

Just one question, are you sure can you trust someone who worked on 'ST III the Voyage home'
Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM

swpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura aboutswpropmaker has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I caught that and fixed MY typo... thanks Ment to say III and IV. If he didnt work there he sure has friends in high places to score the reference he did! Got some renders tonight of the botton from one of the 3d artist... thins baby is comming together!

Steve
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

I am IN!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 03-04-2010, 04:28 PM

modeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant futuremodeler1964 has a brilliant future

Incredible! I'm speechless!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM
SS modeler in training

cpt.skara will become famous soon enoughcpt.skara will become famous soon enough

dude! put me down for one! very cool indeed
Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM

oggy4u New face in the crowd

Please put me down for one.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys... this is really cool and new for me to work with these artist. My kitpart id and knowledge of molding and casting coupled with their 3D ability... Will post updated renders of the lower hull soon!

Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

I know many who will be looking forward to this beast Steve! I am VERY pleased it is being done.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM

Zombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really nice

Does the head move on this bird? In one rendering it looks like the head is between the wings and in the other it is out in front of the wings. I'm trying to picture the kind of wingspan this will have? 45-50" or closer to 60"?

Last edited by Zombie Killer; 03-06-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM

snag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to allsnag is a name known to all

I will beg, steal, or kill for one of these
Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 PM

Beagle Bill is a jewel in the roughBeagle Bill is a jewel in the roughBeagle Bill is a jewel in the roughBeagle Bill is a jewel in the roughBeagle Bill is a jewel in the roughBeagle Bill is a jewel in the rough

Fantastic! This has always been one of my favorite ships!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Dukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the roughDukat, S.G. is a jewel in the rough

*friendly bump*
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

Finish!! Finish!! Finish!! Finish!! Finish!! Finish!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Heres were we are now... My computer guy fell off the face of the planet... before he did he sent me these renders...

Im hoping to hear back from him soon and press on to the building stage!

Steve