Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Model Talk

Model Talk General Modeling Discussions

Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Moebius Models TOS Battlestars Shipping

As of last night, they're In Stock at Starship Modeler Store. I placed an order last night for two, as well as one of Marco Scheloske's excellent looking decal sheet and mine order has already shipped as of today. Might well have it on Monday.

I'm sure other vendors have then in stock, as well.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Moebius Models TOS Battlestars Shipping

I'd love to see the look on your face,when you open the box.

Have you got any "modifications" planned for yours?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Battlestar Triton

Missed this previously! Wife thought it was hilarious as I opened the box and yes, I've got some modifications planned.

My order came earlier today! Two each of the Galactica's and one of Marco Scheloske's Ground Control Model Supplies excellent supplementary decal sheets.

Marco's decal sheet.

DaBox Art.

Decal sheet.

Optional insert art for the landing bays, one situated for each side. It's on the inside of the box.

The really kewel Ralph McQuarrie piece of artwork that's included. I don't know the exact dimensions, as I didn't take a ruler to it, but I'd guess it's roughly 6" x 6" on pretty nice quality card stock.

I've not un-bagged the parts, so don't have any pics of that. I plan to do that tomorrow, as well as take a few comparison pics next to the Timeslip and old Revellogram kits.

First thoughts are that it's a pretty darned nice kit and I don't at all mind the price I paid. It's TONS more accurate than the old Monogram-Revell kit - duh! - and is nicely detailed. The panel lines that some folks are upset about don't bother me so much, tho I can understand why those folks aren't happen. The decals that cover all of the red markings are a really nice touch. It solves the problem of having to try and match the paint for the circle on the upper hull to the rest of the markings or how to paint the circle so that it looks decent enough. There's a lot of pretty nice detail here, tho some of it that's a bit "soft" in areas. ALL of the side panels are on a separate sprue.

The only areas that bug me are fairly well on-record, tho I'll repeat them anyhow:

* the bridge is just wrong and looks it on the box art.
* the seven locations of the Morser-Karl parts are just too soft.

Then upon inspection of the kit I found these:
* the stand is a ROUND TOS Viper squadron patch insignia and is NOT going to hold the weight of the model well, if at all. You'd have to heavily weight the stand. I plan to either completely ditch the stand and use one of the FLight Pose stands that I like or
* the detailing on the top of the two domes is a bit "heavy" and should have been slightly etched instead of raised. At least, going off of my Timeslip kit.
* Some areas that they could have had as "drop-on" parts for the top of the engine section to give it an undercut aren't - tho I admit that I still need to look much more closely at those parts.

Again, I'll take pics of the unbagged parts tomorrow and post them, as well.

Overall, I paid roughly $56 for each of the battlestars, after shipping and an estimated cost of shipping the decal sheet alone. I definitely feel that the kit, upon first view, is worth the money I spent and I'll likely buy more. I just keep hoping that Marko Osterholz or someone else (Maybe ARVEY Model Products / Commander Models?!?!) will release accurizing parts for at least the bridge the Morser-Karl parts. A pair of nicely nicely detailed, resin hangar bay's would be nice, too!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 AM

Joseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to allJoseph C. Brown is a name known to all

Thanks for the info!

Given all the other projects I have on the bench right now, I'm probably going to have to wait until Wonderfest to get one of these - but, it's very nice to know that this one appears to be a winner!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Battlestar Triton

Yeah, I prolly won't be starting time any time soon, either. The temptation is pretty darned hard to resist, tho....

Was sick yesterday, so never got around to taking the pics until the evening. Frakkin' weather changes have my allergies/sinuses all kinds of jacked up.

Anyhow, time for some comparison pics, as promised, with the Timeslip Creations resin Galactica kit. These aren't the best pics in the world, tho I think they give a fair idea of the details. Nothing is glued together, just dry-fitted. I think that the detail between the two matches up pretty well in the majority of the areas, tho it's not 100% in others. I think that, looking quickly at some of my reference, that the MM kit has a few spots a bit closer to the studio model than the TC kit. I might do a more detailed comparison later, but I'm pretty satisfied. Especially when compared to the old Monogram/Revell kit. I didn't take any pics of the various parts trees, but they're just as well-detailed as what you see here. The Coffin - the part on the center underside main hull section which bridges between the two flight pods - is an assembly of pieces/parts.

Flight pods. Note that they recessed he Viper launch tubes slightly. You could prolly replicate the full tube by coloring that in black, or alternately drill it all the way out, back it, then go with a dark gray. I think that, overall, they did a really nice job with the detail. Some of it is a bit lacking in areas, overall it's not at all bad.

Upper hull, back of the "neck" area.

Engine deck top.

Bottom of the Gator Head, showing the trench area.

Back of the main hull area.

The base for the stand assembly. I really don't think this is going to work out well and plan to use the Flight Pose stands as they provide for stability, whereas this one won't.

The underside of the center hull, where the Coffin is built up. The Coffin itself is built up as an assembly of pieces, not one solid piece that plugs in here.

The "Hissy Fit" - as Brad Hair refers to it with regards to folks commenting on how it's not accurate - Bridge. The top detail looks spot-on, IMNSHO, tho it drops down too far for the studio model. I think that a builder could trim off some of the bottom section, back the bottom rim area with sheet stock or smooth it with putty and it wouldn't look so bad.

Overall, I really like this kit. My only pet peeves are as already mentioned, tho it would've been nice if Moebius had included more of a landing bay in each of the flight pods, even if it were just a "stopping point" an inch or so back, with decals. Sort of like they did with the Pegasus landing bays. Still, with the pending PGMS Original Series Galactica (1978) Photoetch Set, you can easily build that to a very reasonable looking landing bay. I've pre-ordered it and hope to see it soon.

If you've not gotten one yet, I highly recommend it. Or at least add it to the top of your Must Have List!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post

My order came earlier today! Two each of the Galactica's and one of Marco Scheloske's Ground Control Model Supplies excellent supplementary decal sheets.

Marco's decal sheet.

Is it my imagination or does it look like those engine decals are someone's bare ass mooning me?

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Battlestar Triton

I believe those were taken from a pic at WonderFest 2009 when you were mooning people down below the balcony.....

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
I believe those were taken from a pic at WonderFest 2009 when you were mooning people down below the balcony.....

If that were true, they'd look like:

Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

I don't think you're allowed to show sphincter on these forums. I'd guess it's because they're run by an ass.

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Oh my!

Quote:
I wish.....my ass is definitely not that perfectly shaped. And it surely ain't a blue moon!

I'm looking in the direction of Cat's avatar........

His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespeed View Post
I don't think you're allowed to show sphincter on these forums. I'd guess it's because they're run by an ass.

No sphincter shown, just shit....and we've seen our share of that here over the years