Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-11-2018, 09:12 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future
Default USS Aylwin, Monocerous (modified) conversion

Hi all,

I was asked to CAD up a modified Monocerous-class conversion, so here she is. The paint is currently drying on the upper hull. I'll post more pics of the test pieces in action in a day or so. I've also placed an AMT/ERTL bridge on her. Cost permitting, I may CAD up a small lower hull extension to allow for two nacelles, making her into a poor man's Miranda. Money will be the deciding factor.

Thank you for looking!

Bob

https://imgur.com/IyJ8bUj
https://imgur.com/yO3ndxt
https://imgur.com/fkicSsw
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: USS Aylwin, Monocerous (modified) conversion

Never a true fan of the single nacelle designs, but that looks very promising!

Very nice.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 PM

aptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant futureaptivaboy has a brilliant future

Thanks. I'm slowly working on a 3D printed neck and small engineering section. It always bugs me when single nacelle designs don't feature any additional internal volume for the engineering section that should take up a large area in the missing engineering hull.

Bob
Old 09-01-2018, 06:04 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
It always bugs me when single nacelle designs don't feature any additional internal volume for the engineering section that should take up a large area in the missing engineering hull.
My thinking too. Hence the ship in my avatar having an engineering section extending from the saucer.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:10 PM

Slight delay here - waiting for new saucer window inserts to arrive from Fed Mods. I can't figure out where the kit ones vanished to, but as soon as they arrive I'll start assembling the saucer and posting more pics.

Bob
Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Vanishing happens for me when I drop things off the table.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM

Is alcohol involved? If so, then its not a problem!!!

Actually, my glasses vanished for a week and then suddenly reappeared on the floor right next to the computer desk. I blame the cats, literally. Merlin, my devious little black cat loves playing with things. He's already bitten my glasses so both lenses have bite marks in them!

Okay, the replacement inserts have arrived and are being installed. The saucer halves have been puttied and are being sanded down. I'm toying with the idea of using the split/enlarged impulse deck. Any ideas? Or, is this overkill for a scout?

Bob

Last edited by aptivaboy; 06-25-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Iíve always liked the idea of the split impulse engines as, to me, they look more powerful. I would think being fast at sublight would be desireable in a scout, as it might make them more stealthy versus traveling at warp.

Plus, visually it just looks more powerful!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:43 PM

No, no alcohol. All sober me!!

As for the impulse deck, for a scout being over-engined is a plus. You get caught in a 'sticky' situation without back up and you want to be able to run as fast as you can.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Okay, I surrender. The saucer has been cut out and the new deck is about to go on. Now, if I could only figure out where I put the lower saucer half. No, I'm not kidding, its gone!

As with all things, I blame the cats.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
[...]
As with all things, I blame the cats.
I would, too.
*points at your pic*.
Look at that cat! He's staring at me like I owe him money.
I wouldn't turn my back, nor allow him in the modeling room.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Thta's Emma, she passed away last year from bone cancer. She was actually the sweetest little girl ever and my modeling buddy. She would sit with me while I built and not touch anything, just always observing, seriously the best little helper one could have. Now, Merlin and Lucy, my current kitties... That's another story!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 PM

Sanding has begun! I'll post more pics this weekend after giving blood Sunday morning. Yeah, its time to visit the vampires!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Just remember to not let them take all of it!

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Too late. They already own all of it, but at lease they let us still use it.