Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Figures

Figures Figure WIPs

Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 PM

tomkat364 will become famous soon enoughtomkat364 will become famous soon enoughtomkat364 will become famous soon enough
Default Battle Droid

I've begun working on my "end of the year" star wars kit. This year I'm doing one that I've thought about for a long time. The AMT/ERTL Battle Droid and STAP... minus the STAP. I've seen a few of these free standing before, but I'm going to do mine as one of the red Security versions.

First step was to tackle the inaccuracies of the head and neck area. Whenever I'm starting one of these kits, I think "this should be a quick build, everything's already pretty good." Then I find a boat-load of inaccuracies. First off, the kit version of the neck was all wrong.

The round pieces at the left are actually part of the head (the "ear" sections), and the way they attach to the neck is all wrong.

The way the kit is made the head wouldn't be able to rotate or look up/down. So I cut those away, and implanted a brass rod to the end of the neck to serve as a pivot point.

A little sheet styrene to cap off the bottom of the "ears" and the dangly part behind the head.

The underside of the head needs much work as well.

There is a piston that attaches to the neck area to raise and lower the head. On the kit piece it is premolded (the purple area in this pic)

So away went that detail, and a hole was drilled like so...

After remaking the "ears" and a collar seen directly above the neck

So, all together...

And that's all for right now. More to come soon, I hope.

Also, if anyone can tell me how to embed images rather than using the attachment URL, please let me know. Haven't done this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star Wars - D6 - Droids Stats_img_151.jpg (36.8 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg neck cutoffs.jpg (511.1 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Head details.jpg (518.8 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Head before.jpg (508.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Head Before Remove.jpg (375.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Head after remove.jpg (510.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg Neck Post.jpg (511.0 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg Neck assemply.jpg (506.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Neck Pieces.jpg (508.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg sw_mos_battledroid_007.jpg (510.5 KB, 312 views)

Last edited by tomkat364; 12-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
By Your Command

GoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the roughGoldCylon is a jewel in the rough

Roger Roger. Love the droid.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM

colleen New face in the crowd
Default Re: Battle Droid

Lookin good!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM

joewhite will become famous soon enoughjoewhite will become famous soon enough

Cool stuff, tomkat364! I built a free standing one some years back as well. I bought enough kits to make one of each Episode I droid versions but never got around to it.

You are actually very accurate on the neck area....I dig that! I just bashed it together...lol! Look forward to more progress!

Joe

Last edited by joewhite; 01-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:52 PM

tomkat364 will become famous soon enoughtomkat364 will become famous soon enoughtomkat364 will become famous soon enough

Got some more work done recently. The head is pretty much done, primed, and waiting the rest of the droid.

First step on the main body was the inaccurate waist section. As seen in this picture, the waist has a rectangular-ish hole in the middle, completely absent on the kit pieces.

Here is a shot of the two halves, left half is stock, right half is with the first set of cuts.

After some laminating, sanding, and detailing, a little closer to the "real" version.

Next was the back area. Standard infantry droids have "backpacks," which is how the droid in this kit comes as well. The red security droids that I'm converting this into have different backs, without the packs but with some slots and holes where you can imagine a pack would go.
So... first step cutting off the mounting area for the backpack. Starting with...

and ending with...

After some rebuilding, I ended up with a pair of mounting slots. I added a few supporting struts for the flat inner portion of the back to come later.

And after some more cutting and detailing, the back is nearing complete.

Just need to work on the shoulder/neck area and this part of the project will be finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sw_mos_battledroid_012.jpg (239.1 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Waist Halves.jpg (311.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Waist Side Primed.jpg (131.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Waist Front.jpg (311.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Backpack Cut Before.jpg (296.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Backpack Cut After.jpg (345.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Slots Added.jpg (319.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Back Ports Added.jpg (274.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM

A big update... Should have posted some of these a while ago...

Finishing off the torso, I added the neck and shoulder pieces on the detailed section of the back using some more styrene sheet, putty and sanding.

There is a piece on the chest that was molded solid with just a panel line. On the actual droid, it is recessed slightly and looks less like a "panel." I cut the piece out and made a replacement with styrene sheet.

Next, I boxed out the inside of the chest to allow the attachment of the spine/waist to be seen.

Finally, the entire torso positioned, glued, and primed. The unprimed struts connecting the torso to the waist were slightly too long, so I had to cut the tops off, sand down 1-2 mm, and then reconstruct them.

So, now onto the legs.
I cut apart the shin pieces for the right leg into leg and ankle.

This gives me the ability to pose the ankle at a vatiety of angles.

At the thigh level, I felt some internal support was needed to help reduce sagging, since this will have a dynamic pose. I took a thick gauge floral wire and bent it into a supporting curve within the thigh.

I modified the ball joints at the hip by cutting a recess in the front ball, allowing the wire to come out close to 90 degrees.

This wire travels through the hip, and will be wrapped similarly into the left hip at a different angle.

The ultimate goal is the classic droid shooting position, leaning forward on the right leg, similar to the guy in this shot... kind of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished Back.jpg (338.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Chest Piece.jpg (361.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Inside of chest.jpg (312.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Boxed out waist.jpg (263.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Torso Back.jpg (229.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Torso Front.jpg (368.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Shins outside.jpg (489.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg shins inside.jpg (470.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Shin Positions.jpg (667.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Thigh Post.jpg (280.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Hip.jpg (255.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Hip Threaded.jpg (243.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Shooting position.jpg (85.0 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by tomkat364; 03-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Kit Assembler

bg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to beholdbg_451 is a splendid one to behold

This is excellent accurising work. I have a few of these in the stash, so I'll be watching this thread with much interest!!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

Very cool, make's me want to get back to mine.

~Pete~
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Coolness.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM

armorjim New face in the crowd

Great build.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Finished filling, sanding and priming the right leg. From there, I made a similar support structure out of the floral wire to sit inside the left thigh, sealed up the thigh, added the shin and finished the left leg.

Put him all together for a quick progress shot. Now I just have to finish his blaster, build the arms, and make the base. Really looking forward to painting this one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legs done front.jpg (369.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Legs Done Back.jpg (362.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Standing Front.jpg (208.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Standing Side.jpg (188.8 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by tomkat364; 04-13-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

This is excellent. I'm sorry to have missed it from the get-go.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Small update...

Working on the droid's blaster rifle.
Reference Pic...

Pieces made so far using different diameters of brass and aluminum tubing. The perforated area on the barrel is the only real problem area, tried drilling out the perforations, but couldn't do that well enough by hand. I plan on using styrene strip to make the horizontal dividers, and we'll see how that goes.

And an overlay to show the comparison...

The sizes match up pretty well, I doubt any differences will be visible when assembled. Plus, my main reference is from a different book, which has a different version of the gun featured. Apparently there are several minor variations on the different builds (CGI vs practical).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Reference.jpg (222.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Gun Pieces.jpg (278.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Gun Overlay.jpg (230.3 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by tomkat364; 04-28-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Kolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to beholdKolschey is a splendid one to behold

This looks really good so far.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM

I finally finished the blaster rifle. Unfortunately, when I sprayed it with primer, the primer got a pimply texture all over. So I have to carefully scrape the surfaces and reprime. Anyone ever experience this before? Any suggestions on how to avoid it? I didn't do anything different from normal, but it is rather hot/humid around here today, don't know if that would cause it.

Anyway... The Blaster
Reference:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blaster 1.jpg (273.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Blaster 2.jpg (253.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Blaster 3.jpg (254.9 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by tomkat364; 06-21-2012 at 02:33 PM.