Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

Did someone say anal?

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

That's what Dave called me. Y'all all saw it.

Rob.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Hell yes I'm anal. Most all of the rest of you are too, and in our hobby, that's a GOOD thing!

Pics...

Again, this kit ain't perfect. Two areas require surgery. First was the bow, second is what I've been referring to as the Motherfucking Millimeter.

The main deck is in two pieces - front and back. I'll refrain from using proper terminology such as Fore and Aft so Alpha-heads like Eagle-1 here can better understand what's going on.

Parts fit on Dragon kits is TIGHT, and this one's no different. The deck has the right camber to it, and the locations for components like turrets and superstructures arefor lack of a better term, sunken-in a bit. The fit is so precise that A and C turrets practically snap into place.

This is great, if everything fits perfectly, but if they don't, it's a bitch.

There is about a millimeter of material missing between the front and rear deck halves.

You can see the gap in the pic. I found out that there was no way to actually get them to join. The problem is, the front deck has a very definite location because of the way the anchor area is made.
The rear deck COULD be slid forward to join up with the back of the front piece, but then there'd be a gap at the back of the ship. That *could* be filled in with putty - I've seen guys do that, but it wouldn't work in this case. Also, the wood deck fits the plastic piece PERFECTLY over the details on the pieces, and the discrepancy in positioning would be VERY noticeable.

The only option is surgery.

Pic. Note the Gap:

(Deck wood laid out in place)

What I had to do was cut kit pieces K52 and K53 (white arrows) in half and glue them in place on the deck, but not Part K27 as indicated. The Missing Millimeter has to be made up somewhere, you know.... so I cut out the flat areas that touch the hull and replaced them with sheet plastic. (Red Arrows) That area needs to be puttied in anyway to look right.

Now, the deck section, K27, won't fit properly. Time to whip out the Dremel and remove enough plastic so it'll sit properly (green arrows). I had to remove the front of parts K52 and K53, because they'll need to be angled in just a little to look right.

Gun turrets, almost ready for paint. Love that brass!

Working on the Bridge Wings. The real ship had canvased rails. I'm trying to duplicate that with bare metal foil:

Last edited by The Cat; 01-05-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

One other little pic - some brass goodies! (Brass by KA)

The side boat racks are PAINS in the ASS.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Hackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond reputeHackcore has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet work so far Cat!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Oh my!

lakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati Godlakespeed Resin Illuminati God

When laying down that wood deck did you have to cut off anything such as vents from the plastic deck? Doing a little research it seems some kits aren't wooden deck friendly because of all the detail.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM
It's gonna get real now.

No - nothing at all had to be cut off. In fact, when you're laying down sections of the deck, the molded-on details make handy locators.

That isn't true for ALL of KA's decks - their decks for the old Tamiya KGV, POW, Bismarck, and Tirpitz kits have you remove certain things like molded-on cable reels, but KA provides replacements. These are fugly things that need replacement anyway.

Other decks are just like you say - they have you remove and replace LOT of molded-on detail before you can attach the wood. That would be a major PITA.

KA has spoiled me to the point that I'm not even going to try any other manufacturer's decks, their precision is THAT good.

Which reminds me of a point. Most of this kit's deck details are separate parts, maybe to facilitate painting. The biggest worry I had in installing the deck was the stern half - it is by far the biggest piece in the set and the easiest to misalign. If that happens, it's garbage. Sooo - I went ahead and glued on several of the kit's deck details, such as parts M12, M5, and N64. They made the task of aligning the deck much easier when it came time to stick it down. I practiced several times before removing the backing sheet, too.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Deck installed. Breakwaters and anchor gear added.

Superstructure components dry-fitted into place:

New Years' Eve aboard Scharnhorst. SMS Emden looks on:

Last edited by The Cat; 01-05-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Nice!! Looking good there Dave
It's nice to see the wood deck photographed in normal light conditions you can see all the cool details
The manufacturers either post a pic that is too damn small or wash it out with too much light in the photo
That KA PE looks good too
Damn you are making me want to build a ship now!! LOL

Last edited by Damien9479; 01-05-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
I'll refrain from using proper terminology such as Fore and Aft so Alpha-heads like Eagle-1 here can better understand what's going on.

I'll have you know, I know ALL KINDSA stuff about boats.

Fried Shrimp, Burled Shrimp, Shrimp Cocktail, Bah-Be-Que Shrimp......

(Bitch)

Rob.

Last edited by Eagle-1; 01-05-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work with the PE!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 AM

bellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant futurebellerophon has a brilliant future

nice work with the old lady.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, gotta love those barrels. That PE ain't too shabby either. Nice job there Dave.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Thanks, gentlemen (and Rob) - I appreciate the kind words

I'm pretty happy with the PE. The parts are perfect fits and they look *right*. The only thing that's lacking is proper details for the cranes. I'm going to have to totally redo the aircraft and boat cranes to get them to look right. It won't be a bad job though, and I'm saving them for last. I'm not going apeshit like I did on BB-55 though - and buy another whole set of PE just for the cranes.

Then again............... I really don't have a hell of a lot of sense......

I love the hell out of this model.

I do have another problem though - Eric tells me there's a 1/350 kit of the WW1 Scharnhorst............
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Shrimp etoufee', Dried Shrimp, Shrimp Gumbo.....

Rob.