Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: SCHARNHORST - 1/350, by Dragon

Messing around with the 105's.

They're tedious bastards. I've had the best results by gluing the breech blocks together (they're separate pieces from the gun!) and let them dry thoroughly. While that's happening, I cut the plastic barrels off and drill the midsection out for the brass barrels. I then glue the barrels in, make sure they're straight, then attach to the breech blocks. Then, make sure they're good and parallel and let the glue cure.

Then...

I had to drill little holes in the sides of the turrets to give the gun trunnion pins a more positive attachment. Now the guns snap in and are positionable!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Assembling the boat boom winches:

The Admiral's Bridge has clear parts for the windows. However, they don't exactly look scale, and I don't like how the vertical bits on the sides are part of the window while those on the front are parts of the bridge and roof.

You studio scale people have rubbed off on me, so I left the clear part out and installed vertical bits on the sides with sheet plastic:

It turned out okay:

Mainmast brass. All the brass came with the KA brass set. I didn't use the PE flagpole though - it is decidedly not round. Stretched sprue got the role:

Some of the work around the hangar deck. I'm going to TOTALLY rework the aircraft cranes. The Arado floatplane is from an old Tamiya Bismarck build I did in 1986.

Some shots of the ship as she appears today. I'm REALLY loving that wood deck. I have a Trumpy Prinz Eugen in my stash now as well as a KA deck for it. Expect a review soon:

I LOVE THOSE BRIDGE WINGS!!! The rails are supposed to be covered with canvas. I tried simulating that with Bare Metal Foil earlier, but it was old and the adhesive failed and it fell right off. I saw a trick on another forum where a guy used white glue. It looked great. However, I can't decide whether to do that, or leave them like they are.

Boat deck area. All her barrels from 105mm on up are Master barrels.

I love this ship.

She still needs a bit of work, namely small AA guns, railings, ladders, and a bit of weathering.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Pissin 'em off since :1999

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Snippety, snip, snip.........You studio scale people have rubbed off on me, so I left the clear part out and installed vertical bits on the sides with sheet plastic:.......and evn more snippety.....
Ok, I beat everyone else here with the calling of,

BULLSHIT!

If you had even remotely paid any attention to anyone here that call themselves "scratchbuilders", you would have immediately built that entire piece from scratch three times already and "ok" would be THE BEST you would EVER allow yourself to admit. You did get that part right.

I really haven't done anything here except have fun Dave, but, you are doing this kit right sir! This ranks right up there in the nicest looking we've all seen here.

Just keep doing what you're doing buddy.

Rob.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Dont' worry Rob... We all realise you're just telling it how it is...

Nice Cat!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
Ok, I beat everyone else here with the calling of,

BULLSHIT!

If you had even remotely paid any attention to anyone here that call themselves "scratchbuilders", you would have immediately built that entire piece from scratch three times already and "ok" would be THE BEST you would EVER allow yourself to admit. You did get that part right.
Baby steps, man. Baby steps. Takes a while to reach your level of scratchbuilderosity. A LONG while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-1 View Post
I really haven't done anything here except have fun Dave, but, you are doing this kit right sir! This ranks right up there in the nicest looking we've all seen here.

Just keep doing what you're doing buddy.

Rob.
Thanks, Rob
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Eagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati GodEagle-1 Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
scratchbuilderosity.
Hmmm. Never ONCE in my life considered getting a tattoo.

Till just now.

Rob.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I LOVE THOSE BRIDGE WINGS!!! The rails are supposed to be covered with canvas. I tried simulating that with Bare Metal Foil earlier, but it was old and the adhesive failed and it fell right off. I saw a trick on another forum where a guy used white glue. It looked great. However, I can't decide whether to do that, or leave them like they are.
ANOTHER FORUM?????? Man, are you insane???

Try this. Mix yourself up a very thin mixture of white glue and water, dip some very thin paper (like rolling papers) in it and hang that from your poles. Same white glue technique except the tissue paper will give it more of a canvas look AND a little more for the glue to grab onto.

Rob.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM
It's gonna get real now.

^^^ The Bare-Metal didn't work out. The stuff at the LHS is so damn old that the adhesive isn't working any more, so forget THAT noise.

I like the rolling-papers idea. (TOP Rolling Papers - not just for doobies anymore!) I didn't use it on this ship, because there's a rather complex area that needs canvassing, and I didn't think I could cut the paper properly. It's in my arsenal though - ESPECIALLY when I do a 1/144 Fletcher DD!

Some guys were talking about Model Master Clear Parts Adhesive and Window Maker being good for this. I tried it out on some scrap PE - it was waaaay too brittle. (I'm not looking for cold-rolled steel strength here - but it MUST hold up to being brush-painted)

What I DID find that works is Elmer's Wood Glue:

Now, it's WAY too thick as it is. I poured of maybe a fourth of it and topped it off with water. Shook well and brushed some on to some scrap PE. After it dried, I stabbed at it with my steely X-Acto. STRONG.

So, I applied it to the bridge wing railing:

After it dried, but before painting:

Here's that complex area I mentioned, just after getting the glue treatment:

I like it.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Heavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond reputeHeavy Melder has a reputation beyond repute

fine work there Dave.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future

So: verdict: Is this kit worth the money?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E. Johnson View Post
So: verdict: Is this kit worth the money?
Very definitely
Old 02-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Very definitely
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Lovin it Dave! And that deck is just bad-ass!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Beautiful work. And great idea for the 'canvas.' Thanks for passing that on.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

I have to say, I'm hesitant on doing the wood decks...

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/