Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Resin Illuminati's Hall of Fame

Resin Illuminati's Hall of Fame Builds in this section are at least three years old and have been recognized by RI members as being especially noteworthy.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God
Default The U-Who?

Gang,
Seeing some nice U-Boats lately caused me to dust mine off and wanna share. I built this shortly after it was originally released- when PE and aftermarket goodies were just starting to show up? But, I went "old school" and used aluminum, brass and styrene when I wanted to detail odds and ends.
The periscopes both are aluminum tubing but still raise and lower per the originals. The 'loop' antanae also raises and spins as well as the underwater 'listening' device.
The areas of the compass pedastal and main scope mast mount are detailed with brass and bits- look at the base steps and such to see.
The main deck gun has a lanyard and removable tampon which then sits in it's 'cradle'. The tripod mount to secure the conning tower MG also pivots to secure the gun in an upright postion while the gun will swivel and elevate. Then the radio lead from the conning tower has a rebuilt insulator mount and the lead is actually human hair.
The torpedo 'doors' are linked side to side so pushing one side open closes the other side. One deck and the conning tower hatces are opened up, hinged and inner details added.
All in all it was a fun build and I've got another one stashed away with some "goodies" to use on like the Nautilus wood deck and such.

Anyways- hope you enjoy?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0001-1.jpg (111.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0002.jpg (107.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0004-2.jpg (111.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0005-1.jpg (102.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0006-1.jpg (69.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0007-1.jpg (86.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0009.jpg (103.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

DarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati GodDarthDuck Resin Illuminati God

Jay,
I think Revell did it "right" when the released this and then the following subs in 1/72nd! It's an 'impressive' sight on a mantle or anywhere you can find room to display one.

Thanks for your kind words.

Don
Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
You're welcome - and I agree they do indeed look good. I've never built one before but after seeing all these I might just have to give it a try!

You should! When I bought my first one it was "full price" but now they're discounted at places like Hobby Lobby and if you add their 30/40% off coupon (or sale) you can get it for something less than fifty bucks! That's a great price for this much plastic!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Yet another beauty!

The thought that soon RI will have enough boats to form its
own "wolf-pack" is enough to bring a tear to me eye!

A magnificent piece Lord Duck!

Really well executed splinter camo pattern.The working features,subtle
weathering,...

Of course,I'm waiting to see what happens when the 1/72 I-boats become
available.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

Das Boot,
Oh, the I-Boats! Gotta wait to see if Revell ever does those? Who is that, Renwall or some name from the past coming out with a couple of versions of Japanese subs in 1/72nd already? The publicity shots kinda left a little to be desired IMHO but it's still great to see alternatives coming along! Now with Tamiya doing the I boats in 1/350th wouldn't you love to see them jump into 1/72nd? But, if Revell does, they'll have the main combatants of WWII undersea warfare covered and I'd love to see that!

Thank you for the kind words my friend,
Don
Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up

Another very nice build there DD!

Mate,your Old School skill's look fantastic and it's better to have them than not i reckon.Your attention to the detailing is really awesome Don.
So how big is this beastie we are looking at?I'm guessing it's a pretty descent size at 1:72 but wouldn't have a clue.

So what other goodies you got laying around needing a dusting off?

Phil
Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Phil,
How's 36 1/2" grab Ya! Yup, over three feet long and it's almost tough to catch it all at a decent angle inside a pic? It's a big box to walk out of the store with and wouldn't want to pay the shipping on a parcel that size? With the already available military kits in 1/72nd you could easily assemble a diorama with support vehicles and personnel for instance- great choice for Revell to have done it!

Thanks for the kind words mate!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

That's sound's very cool Don!
Now i see what you mean about the having the room part.That's a BBB(Bloody Big Boat).Big kit's are so awesome to look at though and that sure is a very nice example you have done with that one mate.

Top stuff my friend.

Phil
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Mech,Phil,
Yeah, the size makes it an easy focal point for onlookers and visitors! Thanks for noticing the light weathering- it was a choice to represent the boat shortly after deployment. See, the crew haven't grown their beards yet!
Got another in the stash that I hope to do better with someday too.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Awesome job Don!! I've built one of these too and yours looks way better than mine Good job

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 AM
FOUNDING FATHER

Damien,
Thanks for the kind words but I'm sure yours looks fantastic!
I've seen some of your work remember.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

I do much better with race cars...Submarines are a different story

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

I'm so liking this. Having only ever tried the one sub in the past, you guys are going to motivate me to try some more for sure, so thank you for opening doors, it's most welcomed.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up NIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!

OMG!!!

THIS is BEAUTIFUL DD!

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
FOUNDING FATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
I'm so liking this. Having only ever tried the one sub in the past, you guys are going to motivate me to try some more for sure, so thank you for opening doors, it's most welcomed.

Rider,
I would caution that if you open the hatches as did (doors, as you mentioned?) make sure to close and seal them before diving!

Oh, and thank you!