Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

modman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati Godmodman06 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/350 USS North Carolina - a happy mistake

see this is what happens when theres no new pics in the sweet heart thread. so your all to blame for this.

Al
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman06 View Post
see this is what happens when theres no new pics in the sweet heart thread. so your all to blame for this.

Al
You obviously haven't looked today! LOL
Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
You obviously haven't looked today! LOL
perhaps this is why we're all thinking about nipples
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

I'm now happy with the hawsepipe lip!

Now it's time to go to the other end.

I thickened up the sponson with some sheet plastic:

It'll end up being more like the real ship (Hopefully!)

Next on the list (after I reattach the sponsons and gun tubs) - finish reshaping the stem and scribing panel lines!

Last edited by The Cat; 09-26-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

haha, it looks like a pierced nipple with some serious hardware attached. S&M stuff.

sorry...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
It's gonna get real now.

I have a question for you:

See the pipes on the side of the hull that curve over and down beside the armor belt? (I'm thinking these pipesare from the bilge drains, but not 100% sure...)

Were they there when North Carolina was operational? Or were they added after her berthing at the museum?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
haha, it looks like a pierced nipple with some serious hardware attached. S&M stuff.

sorry...

You're a bad, bad dude, Talon! LOL
Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

You can kind of see it on this one but....

its pretty clear in this one that they were there from the start. I believe these images were taken during it shakedown cruises.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Thank you!!

Those pics help more than you know - the panel lines are nice and visible in them.

Thank you AGAIN!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

no problem. there are 38 pages of them at the north carolina museum website

http://www.battleshipnc.com/
Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Model Psycho

Damien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of AllDamien9479 Overlord Master of All

Cool!!
I like what you are doing so far Cat!!
I will have to keep these in mind when I do another NC!!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 AM
It's gonna get real now.

This thing is a real Tar Baby... the more I look at pics and the more I do, the more NEEDS doing!

For instance... the 'tower'.

In the kit, it's pretty much square in cross-section.

On the real ship, it's square, but with well-rounded corners. (I'll post a pic when I can... can't do that right now )

The plastic on the kit parts is too thin to simply round the corners - so I'm gonna have to scratch the whole thing!

Also, the 'ribs' on the sides of the 40mm tubs in the superstructure - on the real ship, they're like steel 'fingers' that are holding the tubs - gonna have to scratch that, too.

The kit is missing a target designator on the sides of the bridge area - gonna have to scratch that, too.

Last night I scribed the hull plating. Going to have to scratch the drain pipes.

Need more pics of the 40mm tub on C turret - kit looks wrong.

Figured out a relatively easy way to fill the gaps in the deck... was telling my wife how the term 'spinning a yarn' came about and thought, hey that's a good idea! So I stretched some sprue, ran a bead of CA down its length, and pressed it into the gaps. Dusted it with baking soda*, sanded a little, and GONE!

Going to have to scratch a couple little deck houses.

After looking at the real ship's 20mm ready-ammo lockers, I decided that the kit's lockers REALLY piss me off so I cut 'em all off.

I won't be getting the LionRoar PE set... so I won't be getting those really pretty brass ship's bells. However, small HO scale steam loco bells will work nicely!

This ship is a royal pain.... AND I LOVE HER!!!

* I discussed this chemical reaction with one of our organic chem professors... he said that it gives off a small amount of heat and carbon dioxide. Nothing harmful

Last edited by The Cat; 09-27-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Here's what's up with the tower....

See what I mean about how the edges get rounder as it gets closer to the top?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Hey Cat,
Thats some more nice looking PE work dude,a pitty that tower needs reworking though.
Instead of scratchin a new one because this is too thin,can't you thicken up the back's of those corners with some bondo then shape?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Hey Cat,
Thats some more nice looking PE work dude,a pitty that tower needs reworking though.
Instead of scratchin a new one because this is too thin,can't you thicken up the back's of those corners with some bondo then shape?
SORRY, Wombat! That's not my PE....that's from the LionRoar set! Shoulda labelled it!

I'll give the bondo a go and see how it works out Thankya!