Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

It is a strong and powerful fleet Admiral!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Shipwright

Lord_Schtupp New face in the crowd

Ok here begins the flood of comments and questions lol ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Yesterday marked the end of construction, over 12 months of planning and building I can happily say. "What's next?"

Alclad painted main sensor dish. Gold titanium, dark aluminum and duraluminum. Brass spire was gloss coated and fed a .75mm fiber optic.

This was an excellent redesign of this area. Really superb. This is the biggest difference between the two designs. The shape of where the upper forward secondary hull meets the lower primary I'm gonna modify mine to how you have it. Nice.

Now the oval deflector/sensor dish, grill and profile of the cutout on Sentinel much more aesthetically pleasing than on mine (brilliant), but this is where purpose wins over looks. You probably noted that the on the Aurora the deflector/sensor assembly looks like a separate detachable unit. This was to allow Star Fleet to more easily tailor this ship class to mission specific configurations by use of "quick change" components and modules. Yes the dreaded "pods". I really dislike pod additions on starships but as I'll go into later they were a necessary evil in the Star Fleet Battles universe/timeline. So as starship designer I had to design around this requirement.

Lord Schtupp @ Deviant Art

Last edited by Lord_Schtupp; 01-12-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Thank you again! I can't wait to see your retro-modification.

I understand your reasons for the lower pod but this was really the one area I really wanted to redesign to smoothly blend the lower primary into the secondary while retaining an integrated main sensor dish. The hull has such clean lines that I felt this pod simply went against that.

There was another version I have of this angle with the lower photon tubes in a rectagular shroud, forward of the lower sensor. Was that an earlier detail incarnation or later since the red stripe is present?

I'm loving these never-before-seen images! Please bring 'em on. I also think I'd love to build an as-designed model of your Aurora.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 01-13-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:39 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

The "Aurora versus Sentinel" comparison would make a fascinating cover story article for another edition of the legendary Starship Dynamics magazine that came out in the 80s....
Old 01-15-2018, 02:41 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

Was just thinking, do you have any ideas of what these ships would look like post-TMP?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Was just thinking, do you have any ideas of what these ships would look like post-TMP?
Not too much. I think I look at my designs as existing in their era without going through the magic-Aztek-carwash Refit process. New ships that I'll design and build in the TMP years and later will look the part. I guess I don't want to follow the singular trope of the Enterprise refit process but rather create all-new craft when I can.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:16 PM

That's cool! Certainly means always new ships, and we all love that.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Shipwright

So, very early renders circa 2001- this model pretty much ended right here. The goal here was to design a ship comfortable operating in an aerodynamic and hydrodynamic environments as well as in space. Features swept forward warp pylons, aerodynamic spade-shaped primary hull, secondary hull torpedo tubes and warp engines ripped off from a '61 Cadillac coupe deville. Looks very much like the Admiral's Shangri-La!

Maybe the first flame job on a Starship you've seen: this artwork is hokey I know but I made this art for a birthday card for my Uncle Richard, who was a biker/mechanic/hot rodder/builder/welder etc. I spent most of my childhood and teen years in his garage building cars, bikes and engines. Learned all the cool stuff from him so I pretty much worshiped the guy. He loved Star Trek and Astronomy. I miss him greatly.

Stay tuned for more....

:P

Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Schtupp View Post
So, very early renders circa 2001- this model pretty much ended right here. The goal here was to design a ship comfortable operating in an aerodynamic and hydrodynamic environments as well as in space. Features swept forward warp pylons, aerodynamic spade-shaped primary hull, secondary hull torpedo tubes and warp engines ripped off from a '61 Cadillac coupe deville. Looks very much like the Admiral's Shangri-La!
:P
These are amazing. And the fact that your Aurora began much like the Shang fits coincidently with my desire to build a TOS precursor for the Shangri-La when I began looking for ideas for Sentinel. Who knew we were of the same mind? Automotive styling cues! Absolutely.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Shipwright

Thanks Admiral! I knew you'd like that post. I recall during this time having an epiphany..To build the most TOS "Trek-like" ship was to not only closely study everything that Matt Jeffries sketched or designed but also the industrial design of his era; mainly cars but also aircraft (Jeffries was a pilot/owner), diesel locomotives and so on. Before I registered here I saw your post regarding the 68 mercury grill adaptation and thought "that's cool, this guy gets it". More automotive cues in store, stay tuned...

My first career was that of A+P aircraft mechanic, and I had a friend that worked for NASA at Edwards AFB on the X29 program so that was the inspiration for the forward swept pylon. Cool but didn't really leave much room for main engineering or the shuttle bay (already tiny).

The whole Shangri-La connection is uncanny, didn't hit me until I uploaded pics to Deviantart to post here. So what is this then, a "retro-prototype"? lol-Cool stuff /fistbump

More to come, there are 18 more incremental 3DSMAX files, more blind avenues and scads more renders. Will post when I have the chance!

Last edited by Lord_Schtupp; 01-16-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Just wondering whether you were influenced by John Byrne's work when designing the Antares? I only ask because your Antares turned out quite different from the one in the Concordance.

This is a ship he did back in '08, the USS Ventura for the IDW Star Trek comic 'Ghosts'.

Last edited by Jim NCC1701A; 01-16-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Shipwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim NCC1701A View Post
Just wondering whether you were influenced by John Byrne's work when designing the Antares? I only ask because your Antares turned out quite different from the one in the Concordance.

This is a ship he did back in '08, the USS Ventura for the IDW Star Trek comic 'Ghosts'.

Hey Jim were'nt you on the Dynaverse Forums? I recall a member there with similar handle to yours and of the kiwi persuasion :)

To answer your question no I went straight from Reverend Trigsters 4-view of his interpretation of Antares, which I cant find on the net atm, only his tmp version. I hadn't seen the Ventura sketch until now. Also I had built my model 5 years prior, in 2003

Original (1977?):

My model, Reverend Trigster's plans:

Last edited by Lord_Schtupp; 01-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:15 AM
The Kiwi

Location: Out there. Thataway. New Zealand actually. The country Universal Studios left off their globe...
Jim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to beholdJim NCC1701A is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey Jim were'nt you on the Dynaverse Forums? I recall a member there with similar handle to yours and of the kiwi persuasion
Yeah, that would've been me Except for the TrekBBS I've been using that handle since I discovered the forums. I'd forgotten about the Dynaverse... is it still around?

Quote:
To answer your question no I went straight from Reverend Trigsters 4-view of his interpretation of Antares, which I cant find on the net atm, only his tmp version. I hadn't seen the Ventura sketch until now. Also I had built my model 5 years prior, in 2003
Thanks. I'd forgotten that Reverend had done this.
You're in luck, I used to save as much ship design artwork as I could find.
2003, was it really that long ago? Damn...

I guess Byrne could've followed a similar path when doing 'his' ship - would make sense, a smaller Starfleet ship and the Antares as seen in the Concordance fits the bill as a good starting point
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM
All ahead full

Oh yes! The Antares is a fantastic design and one that I discovered not too long after I had finished orthographics of the Sentinel.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Good Lord, how long has that Antares design been around? I seem to recall building a physical model of that countless years (decades?) ago. I still have it, in pieces.

Best-
-SF