Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Finished Models > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Finished Sci-Fi and Fantasy projects

Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all
Default Re: 1:350 TOS Light Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBuck View Post
Thanks everyone!!

1) Another happy accident! The original concept depicted a split impulse like this on either side of the blended hull. There were no details but I felt the need to carve grooves/vanes into it. Because, you know, it makes it look like it goes faster. I may try a couple of other variations of things so it doesn't look like I'm deliberately lifting ideas from other ships.

2) Yes! I love the Archer class nacelles and that's where I stole that idea from too.
References/homages to previous designs are a tried-and-true technique in the Trek universe. (If I recall correctly, the NX-01 impulse engines were influenced by those used on the Enterprise-D... Sentinel would not be out of place using such a design...)

I like the "cross-pollination" idea of similar designs across similar era ships, too, re Sentinel and Sagittarius. This would make Sentinel's engines, what, triple the length of the Archer's? My humble 2c here would be to add some inboard design elements (where the nacelles face each other), a recess or channel, with an intercooler pipe, or similar elements from the TOS Enterprise. For added visual appeal, I'd paint it steel (an additional homage to the NX, and also the Axanar Ares), and possibly leave enough of a gap between the steel elements and the body of the nacelle to allow a thin blue glow to escape.

Update: took awhile for me to remember where I saw the "TOS nacelle with metal greeblies and blue glow," but I remembered: it was Nicholas Sagan's awesome Bonaventure buildup: https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind...s-cruiser.html

Ok, I'll stop my "Monday morning Yard Engineering"...
Best-

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-24-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:47 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCI-FI View Post
References/homages to previous designs are a tried-and-true technique in the Trek universe. (If I recall correctly, the NX-01 impulse engines were influenced by those used on the Enterprise-D... Sentinel would not be out of place using such a design...)

I like the "cross-pollination" idea of similar designs across similar era ships, too, re Sentinel and Sagittarius. This would make Sentinel's engines, what, triple the length of the Archer's? My humble 2c here would be to add some inboard design elements (where the nacelles face each other), a recess or channel, with an intercooler pipe, or similar elements from the TOS Enterprise. For added visual appeal, I'd paint it steel (an additional homage to the NX, and also the Axanar Ares), and possibly leave enough of a gap between the steel elements and the body of the nacelle to allow a thin blue glow to escape.

Update: took awhile for me to remember where I saw the "TOS nacelle with metal greeblies and blue glow," but I remembered: it was Nicholas Sagan's awesome Bonaventure buildup: https://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind...s-cruiser.html

Ok, I'll stop my "Monday morning Yard Engineering"...
Best-
I put together this size comparison between a Connie and an Archer and while I was at it decided to colorize the S to match the other renders. I think the S's engines are close to 6 times the length of the Archer's.

Having fun with the stripe colors, I've mocked up some variations on the theme. I still like red the best:

I did draw an inner nacelle plan for our 3D guy. There is a recessed trench much like the Connies only without all the intercooler plumbing. These panels will be diffused or combined with a PE octagon mesh behind them and backlit with blue LED:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Quote:
[...] Having fun with the stripe colors, I've mocked up some variations on the theme. I still like red the best:

I did draw an inner nacelle plan for our 3D guy. There is a recessed trench much like the Connies only without all the intercooler plumbing. These panels will be diffused or combined with a PE octagon mesh behind them and backlit with blue LED:

There isn't a part of this post that doesn't make my inner Trek-Modeling nerd geek out harder than a Star Wars fan awaiting 18 Dec....

1) Agreed on red. Very "Coast-Guard"-esque. Any series of stripes will beg the question "That's not canon. What does it mean?" (er, I forgot: what does it mean again?)
2) Various colors could also indicate different affiliations -- "Coast Guard" versus "Revenue Cutters" versus "Materiel Spacelift Command" versus...
3) Octagonal PE grills, backlit by blue? I may lose my mind waiting for this -- it's like some heretofore unknown branch of Matt Jeffries' Secret Reserve, discovered by archeologists and being revealed slowly on ResIlluminati.
4) What's the little black trapezoid-dealie on the end (outboard and inboard) of the nacelle?

Last edited by SCI-FI; 11-24-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Imperial

Road Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud ofRoad Warrior has much to be proud of

Though I do love the red...I'm also really liking the grey stripe as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:07 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
4) What's the little black trapezoid-dealie on the end (outboard and inboard) of the nacelle?
That little side detail on the aft end (both sides) of the nacelle is a stylized version of what is referred to as the "post-stage flux tuner" or what FJ calls it - the "final stage magnatomic flux chiller".

I borrowed this design from The Cat's Miranda as seen here in this profile:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis

Isurus is on a distinguished road

Yeah I'm with Road Warrior on the grey stripe. The colored ones are nice, but seem a bit flashy for Starfleet IMO. I guess they could be used as squadron markings? The grey stripe has the "double take" effect. "Is it hull plating or is it markings?" Keeps things kind of mysterious.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:13 PM
All ahead full

Did a little preliminary 3D concept work to engineer the pylon and nacelle support assembly. This mass of brass will be mounted "piggybacked" to the aft end of the existing main frame - all designed to allow maximum internal room for the main hangar bay as well as maintaining the correct angle and support of the warp pylons and nacelles. Internal of the nacelles is a cage of rings braced together and mounted to a pair of telescoping brass tubes which will mate to the inner tubes embedded within the pylon. Magnets at this connect (between the tubes) will lock the nacelle flush to the pylon end.

The back of the frame will sandwich a cut piece of sheet brass in order to keep her true to the correct angle as well as insurance against a joint solder failure.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Humble Aspirant

Quote:
Did a little preliminary 3D concept work to engineer the pylon and nacelle support assembly. This mass of brass will be mounted "piggybacked" to the aft end of the existing main frame - all designed to allow maximum internal room for the main hangar bay as well as maintaining the correct angle and support of the warp pylons and nacelles. Internal of the nacelles is a cage of rings braced together and mounted to a pair of telescoping brass tubes which will mate to the inner tubes embedded within the pylon. Magnets at this connect (between the tubes) will lock the nacelle flush to the pylon end.
[...]
The back of the frame will sandwich a cut piece of sheet brass in order to keep her true to the correct angle as well as insurance against a joint solder failure.
[...]
Not just a slick TOS design, but a slick engineering project as well! What's your day job again? Cuz this is impressive product design...
Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zysurge View Post
Looking great. Weird, but those photos won't show up in TapaTalk. Anyone else experiencing that and know why?
Quote:
Yup, only those two pictures don't show, I've had issues in other threads too. Must be a TapaTalk thing.
FYI to anyone else with the same issue: finally tracked down as a know TapaTalk for iOS bug. Will be resolved in version 5.4.2 which is scheduled for release in a few days.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
FYI to anyone else with the same issue: finally tracked down as a know TapaTalk for iOS bug. Will be resolved in version 5.4.2 which is scheduled for release in a few days.

You rock, Mr. Dark!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

This is actually annoying the shit out of me.

I just updated the TapaTalk plugin on the web server, because it was way out of date, and the 'timeline' functionality was working on my iPad but not my Android phone. Now it works on the phone but not the iPad. WTF?!?
Old 11-26-2015, 11:21 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Not just a slick TOS design, but a slick engineering project as well! What's your day job again? Cuz this is impressive product design...
I design starships 24/7. Sometimes I get paid for it.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-26-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:51 AM
I hate Illinois Nazis

Isurus is on a distinguished road

When I grow up, I want to be just like the Admiral!
Old 11-27-2015, 11:55 AM
All ahead full

Fun with a crude 3D mock up of the Sentinel:

http://vid791.photobucket.com/albums...psh5mb8tie.mp4

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 11-27-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:23 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
When I grow up, I want to be just like the Admiral!
Never grow up! And never use me as a barometer… for anything.

Post Thanksgiving free-time has allowed some progress on the pylon brass superstructure. While it went together mostly as concepted, the mounting to the aft 'keel' proved less cumbersome than anticipated. The round tubing has yet to be mounted to the ends of the uprights:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 08-14-2017 at 09:25 AM.