Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 08-18-2017, 03:39 AM

terminal fettler will become famous soon enoughterminal fettler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: McQuarrie Concept Snow Speeder Scratch Build

Thanks, spending too long on this, got DIY to do! Oh well, added the guns, a few more panels and details. Trying to keep close to the original drawing whilst at the same time getting the feel right. Just waiting for more materials to detail the rear engine and the cooling fins around it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Progress-8.jpg (988.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Progress-9.jpg (897.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light

Absolutely gorgeous work.
A few questions, if you don't mind:
1) how do you fabricate the structural panels in the correct size? Lots of angled pieces, built from a few sketches... Looks like so very little data from which to make pieces that need to be a specific size in order to fit?
2) how many times have you made a part that didn't fit, and had to be tossed?
3) have you ever made a few pieces and then decided the whole thing just "looked wrong" and you had to start from scratch?
4) how often do you find pieces (greeblies) that are "close enough" versus making something exact?

Best-
-SF
Old 08-18-2017, 09:50 AM

terminal fettler will become famous soon enoughterminal fettler will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
This whole project started as technical drawings, then printed out on paper and taped together, a little bit of trial and error on paper first so when I came to make in plastic it all worked OK.
It's pretty much all worked so very little waste plastic.
I have chosen greeblies that look like they should be there, time consuming and a lot of looking as opposed to doing, working from the original artwork to fill in the gaps without overdoing it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Progress-10.jpg (998.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of lightSCI-FI is a glorious beacon of light

Where did you find the technical drawings?
I wasn't aware that McQuarrie made any, if so; did you draw them? Again, how?

(I've had many scratchbuilding projects that have been hung up at this exact stage-- an artful rendering, but no 3-view schematics to work from...)

Best-
-SF

Last edited by SCI-FI; 08-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM

All technical drawings done by myself on Affinity designer for mac from the original McQuarrie concepts...
Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM

TazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really niceTazMan2000 is just really nice

Always nice to see Ralph McQuarrie's other designs made in physical form.

TazMan2000
Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 PM

More progress on the the rear engine details and cooling fins...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Progress-11.jpg (962.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Progress-12.jpg (959.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Humble Aspirant

Nice guns- are you implying cannabilized X-Wing lasers mounted onto some civilian skimmer? Or is this some "Incom production line, planet-based" vehicle, parallel to the X-Wing?
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 AM

I think a single seater variant as in the original McQuarrie sketch...
Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Just working out the canopy details...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Progress-13.jpg (933.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Progress-15.jpg (906.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Progress-14.jpg (974.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Outstanding!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM

Nostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant futureNostromo has a brilliant future

Yes I was so totally waiting to see the canopy, so happy to see you got round to it, sweet project!