Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Star Trek Trailer(s) - post links here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
One of the largest Trek problems is the fan base. The fans who don't like what they see tend to ruin the whole thing for those who do. And this has happened to everyone who has called themselves a Trek fan at one time or another. With each series or movie. We will never agree what is to be Trek because it is NOT our own visions of what we each think it should be. So... just let it be and enjoy what you can.

While I am always pleased to see freedom of thought in motion... I say... if you have a better way of doing it... then do it and stop bitching.
I have never had any issues with any of the 10 previous Star Trek movies, or 5 TV series and have loved them all equally. This movie on the other hand disregards all that is Trek Canon simply for the sake of "reinventing" it which isn't necessary at all, since there is nothing wrong at all with the Trek that we've known for 40+ years, save the occasional onscreen mistake. I'm a Trek purist, and I take extreme offence when some hot shot director feels that he needs to change what I've known and loved since my early child hood. He can go shit in his own bathroom to occupy his time, and I reject his work. If that offends you Kurt, or anyone else, tough shit.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E. Johnson View Post
I have never had any issues with any of the 10 previous Star Trek movies, or 5 TV series and have loved them all equally. This movie on the other hand disregards all that is Trek Canon simply for the sake of "reinventing" it which isn't necessary at all, since there is nothing wrong at all with the Trek that we've known for 40+ years, save the occasional onscreen mistake. I'm a Trek purist, and I take extreme offence when some hot shot director feels that he needs to change what I've known and loved since my early child hood. He can go shit in his own bathroom to occupy his time, and I reject his work. If that offends you Kurt, or anyone else, tough shit.

Doesn't offend me at all Thomas. Everyone is their own best critic.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
That's it Thomas. Attack other members because you "heard" from someone that the movie isn't what "YOU" think it should be and for the record, I am not offended that you are an ass.

I could give a good rip roaring rat's ass if you are pissed off about this turn of events. Face it, Star Trek was dead, or dieing on life support. The last few movies and the last series were bombs, HUGE FUCKING BOMBS that COST Paramount money.

I hate to say this, but we "core" Trek fans are NOT going to make this movie or this franchise a huge success. It is going to take mass market appeal and that means changes. I don't know yet if those are good or bad and I refuse to take the little I've seen so far and condemn the whole thing. That's just stupid. So bitch away Thomas, or, try and grow up just a tad and act like an adult. If you don't like it, STOP FUCKING POSTING IN THE THREAD!
I didn't attack any member here Mech, but then again you and I have never seen eye to eye on much and have always hated each other for our conflicting views, so its no surprise that you feel like I'm attacking anyone.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
I suppose it's impossible that Kirk was outside San Fran, watching the construction of Enterprise? I couldn't see corn in that trailer, coulda missed it sure, or maybe too many of us are looking for reasons to hate this. I'm not attacking you, Bob, I respect your long time Trek support, but from even the best quality trailer "Bootleg" it is tough to tell what all is going on. I'm as skeptical as the next guy and as big a support of TOS as anyone, but I am not going to get down on this 2 minute clip.
Rob ( Carson Dyle ) said over at HobbyTalk that it IS in fact, in Iowa. You can ask him if you like.

Even if it WERE SF, I just am not with the idea of building a spacecraft the size of an aircraft carrier on the ground. What's the idea behind orbital drydocks and Spacedock, then? I'm pretty sure I know why they're doing it this way. Because it looks 'cool'.

I guess I'm just one of those 'clueless' old timers who's outlived his usefulness then... though I'm not saying that you're saying that's what I am, Jon.

I didn't know what my tolerance for change was until now. And I'm hardly a Trek luddite by any stretch...

I truly believe that if you have to change something to attract a larger audience ( read; Lowest Common Denominator or 'The Masses' ), then the fundamental appeal is lost and you have a typical new-style action flick which just happens to have a familiar title, with familiar character names and a vaguely familiar starship. It no longer IS what it was. And if it has to be changed then what was the point of the original then?

I'll wait and see... but I'm just too set in my ways and jaded, I guess, to believe the hype. I've been horribly disappointed far too much. As the REAL Kirk said and I paraphrase regarding original Trek... " Let them die... "

I've said all I can until I see the film.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Yeah... I think many are set in their ways regarding what we hold dear. I am looking at it as a whole new set of entertainment... and not of what I hold dear, but what may become dear to me in addition to what is already there.

I do understand what everyone is saying. And it pleases me to see that it is able to be discussed in open forum.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 AM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

I think the only person who can truly stay faithful to 'Gene Roddenberry's Vision' is Gene Roddenberry.

Anything else is just someone's interpretation of his vision.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Quote:
So, we hate each other?
Because we don't agree on politics or this movie?
Why am I not shocked that you'd take that position...

Seems that way doesn't it?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Quote:
Like you said, we'll have to wait and see. I hope that this is a huge kick in the ass to the franchise and Trek returns to the small screen, or a very long run on the silver screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
I think the only person who can truly stay faithful to 'Gene Roddenberry's Vision' is Gene Roddenberry.

Well stated gents.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn Global View Post
Yeah... I think many are set in their ways regarding what we hold dear. I am looking at it as a whole new set of entertainment... and not of what I hold dear, but what may become dear to me in addition to what is already there.

I do understand what everyone is saying. And it pleases me to see that it is able to be discussed in open forum.

Perhaps your right. I'm just in the camp that feels that there was nothing wrong with the old.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Quote:
Bob, I hadn't seen Dyle's post over at HT.
That's disappointing.

I'm not beyond change. I'm not upset if they do change "some" of what has gone before. Maybe that is because I grew up on TNG? TOS I watched as a kid with my father and loved it, but TNG was my Trek.

I understand the irritation over what is apparently coming and I share some of that. JJA had made it clear, as did the writers and producers that they were staying true to GR's vision. JJ said that he wasn't going to make dramatic changes to the ship, he said that he didn't love Kirk and Spock until making this movie. He brought on writers, one of which is supposedely a rabid Trek fan and while visually, this appears quite different, the story itself could be true TOS GR story telling of old. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see. I hope that this is a huge kick in the ass to the franchise and Trek returns to the small screen, or a very long run on the silver screen.

So, for the next 6.5 months, we get to argue!!!

I grew up on TOS, and TNG, and am a fan of the whole franchise, because it actually had something to say about life, and it held up continuity wise under close scrutiny, with a few exceptions here and there. That's what made it so believable to begin with.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Quote:

That's the sad truth. I wish Gene were still with us over seeing this whole thing.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 AM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Now that I've had a chance to calm down, I think I did over react to reports based on hearsay. JJ and his writers did say that this movie would not violate the established canon, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I will place myself into the cautiously optimistic category.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E. Johnson View Post
Perhaps your right. I'm just in the camp that feels that there was nothing wrong with the old.
I totally agree with you my friend. There is nothing wrong with the old. I don't believe it is their intention to 'fix' anything, but to open up a new world of fan to a story with young people and FX that today's generations may relate better toward. After all... I was born the year Star Trek was unveiled... I can't imagine any of the shows back then being appealing to anyone of the upcoming generations with what was offered during that time. Or at least a very minority. We are of a different generation of fan. And I can only hope the new is as entertaining to me as the old... but they will indeed stay in their different categories in my own heart.... new... and old.

That stated... I am looking forward to the film.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Goldmember

I guess you can color me 'Charlie Chaplin' then. He believed there was no future in 'talkies'.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Quote:
I guess you can color me 'Charlie Chaplin' then. He believed there was no future in 'talkies'.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.... didn't he become Tony Stark? LOLOLOLOL