Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All
Default Just watched The Dark Knight. Whats the big deal about Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I really liked The Dark Knight movie but I just don't see the big deal about Heath Ledger as the Joker. What is so special about what Ledger did. I just don't see it.

Guys what am I not seeing?

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Just watched The Dark Knight. Whats the big deal about Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I think his performance is the most realistic, sadistic and joyfully evil personification of The Joker ever done. Not because he's dead now, but simply because you can see a certain realism in the way he did it - it's even more menacing than a campy or comical intrepretation. If you let your "self" go when watching the movie, and get caught up in the world they create - you find yourself shaking your head and wishing he'd just stop in near-revulsion. It's fun, like Jack Nicholson's performance - but in a whole different way.

He's just a mean, nasty, little man - with no inhibitions. He's more interesting than Batman himself, and steals the movie - in my humble opinion.

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 12-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Just watched The Dark Knight. Whats the big deal about Heath Ledger as the Joker.

"Watch me make this pencil disappear!" Heath Ledger as The Joker.

LOLOLOLOL... I was thoroughly impressed with the entire movie. Heath's performance, lip smacking and all, made it even better for me. I suppose it is just a matter of personal opinion really. I often have discussions with Scott (captain cardboard) on the differences of individual entertainment values. He and I don't see eye to eye on most movies! LOLOL.

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

I'm with you Birdtree - although I did watch the movie again and his performance grew on me. I think the more I watch it, the more I like him.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Nothing like Tig ole' Bitties!

BB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of AllBB43MAN Overlord Master of All

"That's because......uh,....it's all part of the plan."

I just got done watching it on BluRay for the first, full time with no interuptions. Well done film!

I agree that Ledger's Joker was the most chilling. Some of the sequences of him had me squirming in my seat!

What a sad loss of a great artist. RIP, Heath.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:28 PM

thunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati Godthunderbearr Resin Illuminati God

My fave had to be when not all the charges went off in the hospital and he looked back, looked at the detonator, looked back, shook it, started to walk back and then his reaction when the started up again.

Great!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

I'm with all the other folks who really liked Ledgers performance as The Joker. His was the most realistic approach to the character I've seen yet. I've met people who were pretty fouled up in my life, but out of all the actor's who've portrayed The Joker for the Batman 'Verse, Ledgers is the most realistic of them all, coming heads and shoulders above even the most sadistic bastard I've met yet in my life.

Ledgers version of The Joker was the closest to a true Sociopath I've yet seen, even in real life. I totally bought that he knew what he was doing, but he didn't care beyond that fact that it apparently made him feel alive.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Digital Painter

tagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of All

I think that Ledger's performance was good. I think that the most interesting part about Ledger's performance was the way that he approached it. When I saw the film for the first time, i couldn't put my finger on it, but as I did some reading, I realized that for me at least, it was his voice that made him uber creepy.

I read (don't remember where) that Ledger really focused on having his voice NOT match with his actions and that he wanted his voice to seem detached from his mannerisms.

He did this by raising and lowering the tone of his voice in odd ways at very odd times. The story stated that he had heard a ventriloquist 's puppet and wanted his voice to sound like that.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdtree View Post
I really liked The Dark Knight movie but I just don't see the big deal about Heath Ledger as the Joker. What is so special about what Ledger did. I just don't see it.

Guys what am I not seeing?

Mark
Heath Ledger did a fantastic job of bringing the Joker of the comic book realm to life, and not copying the campy Jack Nicholson version (which, IMO, was excellent for Burton's movie).

A lot of fans didn't think Heath could do the Joker justice onscreen (they wanted someone like Christopher Walken), but he proved them all wrong. Heath makes the audience believe the Joker really existed or could exist.

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Digital Painter

tagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of Alltagwashere Overlord Master of All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGooseman View Post
Heath Ledger did a fantastic job of bringing the Joker of the comic book realm to life, and not copying the campy Jack Nicholson version (which, IMO, was excellent for Burton's movie).

A lot of fans didn't think Heath could do the Joker justice onscreen (they wanted someone like Christopher Walken), but he proved them all wrong. Heath makes the audience believe the Joker really existed or could exist.

I agree, not a lot of people knew what to expect when Ledger was cast for the part and expectations were somewhat low.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Banned

REL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati GodREL Resin Illuminati God

I can admire a person that can be evil, just for the sake of being evil...but was he evil?

The wish to destroy anything material, and not be influenced by money, fame, power.

Just to destroy. A little like Catharism, a sect that believed that God imprisoned us in this material existence as a punishment, that believed anyone that pursues power and money can never know true love.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Count Baltar

birdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of Allbirdtree Overlord Master of All

Guys im going to watch it again. I just didn't see the first time what most of you saw in Ledger's work. I did like the movie very much.

Mark
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

I finally saw it this week aswell.
I'm probably one of the few who didn't think much of the movie. I saw a preview sometime in March and it looked like some Miami Vice episode to me. Having seen now it, none of the content has changed that view.

Personally, I thought Aaron Eckhart gave the standout performance in this movie. Though visually, I thought the chosen end look was more Dawn of the Dead than the reptilian facade we know. He stole the show for me.

As for the Joker. I feel we live in an age, with CGI and Prosthetics that I wanted very much to see an Arkham Asylum looking Joker come to the screen, so was disappointed from the outset by this Robert Smith approach...

Having said that, I think what Mr. Ledger brought to such material, and particularly his character study was well interpreted. Little things, like the arched back in some scenes, and the 'spinal fused' walk were well realized deformities from the comics. I dont feel it's Oscar worthy, but that's cuz the material didnt allow him to take it to that level of exception. This was a bullish Joker, rather than a lackey ridden trickster with unpredictable menace.

If anyone is interested, you should check out the debut Joker story, currently reprinted in some compilation (Greatest Joker stories ever told I think may be the edition. Its the one that references Orson Welles War of the worlds broadcast). I had it as a kid, and it scared the crap out of me because it was so well done and that unpredictable menace and danger was all over it. The 89 Batman at least touched on this aspect a little.

One last comment, Mr. Bale's Batman, get some NyQuil, whats with that voice!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Olive Drab is Sexy

Gunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati GodGunnie Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
One last comment, Mr. Bale's Batman, get some NyQuil, whats with that voice!!!
- I wondered about that too! What was he going for - a more menacing Batman? Maybe I'm too used to the animated character voice-overs...

Jim Lewis
GunTruck Studios
Museum Associate Curator - Supervisory, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (MVTF), Portola Valley, California

... Cry Havoc and let slip the Pastels of War! ...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 PM

rider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati Godrider Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
- I wondered about that too! What was he going for - a more menacing Batman? Maybe I'm too used to the animated character voice-overs...
Can you imagine if Bruce Timm and his team were ever given the chance to make a live action Batman movie. Holy $*#! it would rock, at least as a notion.