Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > General Science Fiction Discussion

General Science Fiction Discussion For all Sci-Fi Series, Books, Movies, and TV

Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Keeper Of All Knowledge

Thomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant futureThomas E. Johnson has a brilliant future
Default What Made You A Star Trek Fan

So what is it that each of us fans see in Star Trek that caused us to become fans? For me it was good thought provoking, morality and ethics based story telling, and it's portrayal of a future that we can work towards where greed, hatred, prejudices and all of the problems that come with them have been largely pushed to the back burner by a society more concerned with learning all that is learn-able, and confronted by problems and issues that make all our petty differences seem foolish to fret over. Oh yeah, really cool ships and scientific ideas really help to!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: What Made You A Star Trek Fan

Watching the struggle to do what is right.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:29 AM
suki5150

suki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of Allsuki5150 Overlord Master of All

Shat's "sensational" acting..............................

Love Star Trek.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Resident JLH Groupie

DaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati GodDaGooseman Resin Illuminati God

The TNG episodes "Deja Q" (the one where Q loses his powers and seeks asylum aboard the Ent-D), and "Q Who?" (the episode that introduces the Borg).

Yeah, Q is one of my favorite characters.

The problem with America is stupidity. Now I don't believe in capital punishment for stupidity. However, I think we should just take all the safety labels off everything and let Mother Nature fix the problem herself.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM

scotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to allscotthm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas E. Johnson View Post
So what is it that each of us fans see in Star Trek that caused us to become fans?
I can remember very occasionally watching episodes back in the late Sixties, but it wasn't very often because my parents didn't like it. My main recollection of Star Trek from those days is seeing the 'man with the pointed ears'.

Then sometime around 1972-1973 I started watching Star Trek in syndication, but I can't remember what most interested me about it. I do remember making some audio cassette recordings of an episode or two, and listening to them at night when I was supposed to be sleeping. It was around this time that I acquired a copy of the book titled The Making of Star Trek, which I think is the single most important influence in making me a fan. I know I was already interested before, which I why I got the book, but I remember my interest picking up considerably after reading that.

So as weird as it sounds, in my mind my I turned from a Star Trek viewer to a Star Trek fan after reading The Making of Star Trek back in seventh grade.

---------------
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

It was the early '70s during syndication for me. Around '72-'74 or thereabouts, I was probably 4 or 5. I remember coming home after kindegarten and watching Trek every afternoon. Don't remember the exact moment this series caught my attention, but I was also watching UFO during that time, and shortly after that it was Space: 1999, and the rest is history.

I loved the Enterprise. Her lines just hypnotized me, and that was the beginning of everything sci fi for this smoker.

I wanted to be Captain Kirk so I could cruise the galaxy in that ship, stop at planets and kick ass, and get the girl too. I mean, what more could a toddler want? I used to have dreams about that stuff.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM

pacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of lightpacal is a glorious beacon of light

For many particularly those of us in our forties it was "THE" show. There was no Star Wars or other quality thing to compare it with ... in outer space! Trek introduced everyone to a new world of ideas. Sure there were a few 50's space related films but it was Trek that got alot of the interest in space exploration. I was not so much of a connie Enterprise fan, however in hindsight Matt Jefferies did a fantastic job. When TNG came along I just got further hooked and DS9 was the best!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

Bol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant futureBol loD has a brilliant future

There was nothing else to watch at 3am except TNG.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God
Thumbs up Re: What Made You A Star Trek Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bol loD View Post
There was nothing else to watch at 3am except TNG.
I hear ya! The SciFi Channel 10 trek movies in a row is getting me through Christmas day! ha!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:44 AM
-

atemylunch has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I hear ya! The SciFi Channel 10 trek movies in a row is getting me through Christmas day! ha!!!
What, the sci-fi channel is showing science fiction?

I thought they were all about wrestling and horror.

I did watch some STNG, my god that was painful. If anything it was that show that got me away from ST.

My interest in ST is only the ships, I do like a lot of the TOS series. The new stuff is no where near the original.

Or as a friend of described STNG, a whole lot of tech talk by people who can't talk tech.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Mikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacal View Post
For many particularly those of us in our forties it was "THE" show. There was no Star Wars or other quality thing to compare it with ... in outer space! Trek introduced everyone to a new world of ideas. Sure there were a few 50's space related films but it was Trek that got alot of the interest in space exploration. I was not so much of a connie Enterprise fan, however in hindsight Matt Jefferies did a fantastic job. When TNG came along I just got further hooked and DS9 was the best!
even though TNG DS9 and Voyager were from the same era literally and figuratively. DS9's 1st season was set about a year from the disasterous battle of Wolf359. But it got pretty good as the seasons progressed. But they did more Mirror universe episodes than TOS which had 1 while DS9 had at least 5 or 6.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Goldmember

R L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati GodR L Bleecker Resin Illuminati God

The salt vampire of M-113. And Kirk screaming as it was sucking his face. Those are my first ever memories of Trek somewhere about 1973 or so in re-runs. Scared the shit out of me. At first I thought it was something from the old Creature Feature show that had all these '50's BW horror flix every weekend. I didn't discover that Star Trek was actually filmed in color until a couple years later and by that time I was watching TAS. Great time to be alive and discovering science fiction.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Mikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these partsMikeym_us is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
The salt vampire of M-113. And Kirk screaming as it was sucking his face. Those are my first ever memories of Trek somewhere about 1973 or so in re-runs. Scared the shit out of me. At first I thought it was something from the old Creature Feature show that had all these '50's BW horror flix every weekend. I didn't discover that Star Trek was actually filmed in color until a couple years later and by that time I was watching TAS. Great time to be alive and discovering science fiction.
How about the Cloud vampire and Kirks fanatical desire to destroy it talk about Ahab and his white whale.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Mare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to beholdMare Crisium is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemylunch View Post
Or as a friend of described STNG, a whole lot of tech talk by people who can't talk tech.
Spot on.

There's a running gag that if there are a group of nerdy geeks at a party still without girlfriends at three o'clock in the morning, it's because they'll be sitting there drunkenly discussing why Geordie's plan to reverse the polarity of the tachyon field surge generator wouldn't cause part of E space to shift out of phase.

TOS was never about technobabble.

The TOS E was also aesthetically more graceful and believeable as a design than the leaden, unbalanced and deformed looking D. The E version of the Enterprise would've made a better TNG design.

At the heart of TOS though are stories built around well defined characters that the audience like. TNG had stiff shouldered characters whose facial expressions rarely changed from the norm even when presented with the most alarming situation. The bridge of the D looked like a well carpetted hotel reception and where else other than only on TNG would the captain have his Psychiatrist/Analyst sat next to him on the bridge to council him?

TOS had it's cheesy moments but it stretched the imagination far more.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 PM
-

atemylunch has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Crisium View Post
Spot on.
TOS had it's cheesy moments but it stretched the imagination far more.
Thanks MC, glad to know I'm not alone.

"I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow."

I think a lot of ST fans follow it like people follow celebrities. It's more their idea of ST and ignoring what it really is.

TNG had too many characters, it's a lot harder to keep things in focus when dealing with each one. And I could care less what these characters are feeling, when dealing in what looks like mundane situations. That was a strength of TOS to vail ordinary and/or relevent subjects in extraordinary events.

TOS for me felt more like an adventure, you were going somewhere.
TNG was more like the reverse.