Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 PM

kellyj New face in the crowd
Default 1/1000 Yukikaze (Star Blazers)

After a long break its time to jump back in. Picked up the Yunagi Fleet kit (old school Torpedo Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship) and the Dreadnought in 1000 scale as a Christmas to me. I'll likely be picking up the Andromeda very soon.
So a slowish start as I get back in the groove. I started with the Yukikaze type Torpedo Destroyer...mostly because I always felt it as such a cool ship and its a model I have built in the Mecha nonscale series before.
The box art. The models come premolded in the colors shown (more or less).

The 1000 scale partially complete alongside the Mecha series. I plan to use the same grey and red paint scheme on my entire fleet.

In the morning some work on the car (headlight burnt out) then some more sub-assembly and primer.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1/1000 Yukikaze (Star Blazers)

Great! Cool to see more SBY ships coming together.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 01-03-2018, 10:11 PM

Got the basics done. Not really liking the decals that come with the kit...no ship names just number designations (TB 100, 101, 102, etc)...so I'll probably make some. And the sticker for the base is in Japanese so...
Paint job looked decent to my old eyes...until you see how a digital pic shows every last defect. ghak.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Re: 1/1000 Star Blazers

Got a bit of free time before returning to work on Thursday.
Put the Murasame Cruiser together. A very strait forward build and while designed as a snap kit I used a touch of glue to get a tight bond. Some seams are a bit huge, and the top of the engine housing is popped up a touch...but it is a nice little kit for an evenings work. Due to rain and cold temps painting will be put off for a bit. I'll do the same grey/red scheme as the Yukikaze. I am also toying with the idea of adding gun barrels to the turrets to finish it as an improved version of the class. Decals give the name "Intrepid" (which is of the improved class with gun-barrels) but I'm liking the name Mikuma or Hokaido...so home made decals for this guy also???
The same Blue. Greenish, and white molding as the Yukikaze. Pardon the flash.from the camera.

Murasame and Yukikaze in scale

Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM

A lovely sunny day with temps in the mid 60s. Gotta love SoCal. 2 days of rain and we are back to summer. So outside for some prime and paint.
Primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Lt Grey (my primer of choice).
Once dry, a quick hit on the bottom with Lt. Ghost Grey (a very lite bluish tinge to the paint) then a stronger coat of Haze Grey on the topside. The color change is very subtle and may not be noticeable from the camera. Never having built this model from th Mecha series I plan to use reds like the yukikaze...just have to work out a good scheme that flows but is not obnoxious.
Going to let that set overnite (its X-Wing game night with th kids so we gotta get our pew-pew on this evening).
Side view...this really shows the gaps from the build. You can just make out the color difference between lower and upper halves.

Qtr front view. A lot of detail from a small snap kit. I chose to forgo the gun barrels to keep the ships consistent in the timeline.

Qtr aft view. Engine detail is a bit meh, but then its the size of a nail head so not much room to do anything big.

Last edited by kellyj; 01-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM

And just because I like to mix my genres...a 1000 scale Klingon vs the 1000 scale StarBlazers. If anything it shows what a real world size difference the genres are working with.
So...Disrupters, Photons, and Phasers or Shock Cannon and Wave Motion?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

I'll say shock cannon and wave motion guns!

Looking good, especially with a shot of gray to tone out the toy look.

Personally, I kinda like barrels on naval guns, even space-navy ships, but as can be seen on the series, even these shock cannon have been majorly upgraded compared to the beginning of 2199.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 01-12-2018, 04:32 AM
Humble Aspirant

SCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to allSCI-FI is a name known to all

Nice pics, I especially like the scale comparison with the Klingon.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 PM

Got some detail paint down. Pretty happy with the red. Enough to signify a squadron color but not so much it becomes camo-garish. A wash comes later.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Got a wash on the Cruiser so it was time to start the Battleship. This ship has a dual side-by-side hanger midships. The hanger can be built with the doors open or closed. I'll do one side closed and the other open. But to accommodate the open hanger I chose to paint that half of the hanger. For scale I used a 3x5 card as a backdrop...each line on the card is 1/4". At this scale the hanger is about 1/4 inch high and my eyes are old...so easy on the critiques.
Looking down on the deck. Used a pencil to make the hazard stripes. The gunmetal paint for the deck hatch reflects the wall panels pretty nice.

Looking to the aft bulkhead there is a little control tower in the overhead and some storage type bins along the wall.

Forward bulkhead showing a rollup garage door and some more ductwork.