Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Traditional Artwork

Traditional Artwork Paintings, murals, and the like - find them here

Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All
Default Re: Digital Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
These are all great. Love the original designs on those ships, especially!

Perhaps he's just going for the whole "contrast" thing so that the background buildings stand out better? There's also the whole "artistic license" thing to keep in mind, I'd think.

I'm enjoyin' it for what it is - some fun-lovin' art that gets my imagation runnin'.

Its not that I didn't enjoy it. Nor is it bad crit, its just helpful, if its intentional its fine, as long as there's a reason, if its unintentional, then next time he'll be aware of it. its how artists help other artists get better. No different than others on the WIP pointing out that hey, that seam has a gap still, it'd be better if you filled it before you move on to paint. Thats just how good critiques are. Bad ones usually aren't about the artwork, its about another artist who dislikes you as an individual. I would say when you get into Fine Art, which this is not (and no offense, its good, its art, but its not Fine Art, and I hope abledog will understand what I mean by it), but in Fine Art you get the most begrudging, easily offended, overemotional people who are always stuck in a single paradigm who refuse to even acknowledge art that doesn't fit their view. If you doubt that take a look at the lifelong hatred of Kitsch art by art critic Greenberg. So long story short, I'm just trying to help him improve, thats all.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 PM

abledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's a very good critique, and I agree. The main point of the exercise was the combination of painted and photographic elements. The sky in the distance was added later, and I liked the cloud more than what I originally had... in hindsight I think I would have done something more consistent with a night sky. I was at a point where I just wanted to be done with this particular piece, and did like the 'theatrical' lighting, but as far as reality is concerned it doesn't work within those rules. I appreciate the critique... it only helps me grow as an artist. I might see about what I could do to fix this one, or better yet.. just make a new one!
Thanks!!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

talon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of Alltalon Overlord Master of All

No problem. If you ever want constructive crit feel free to give me a shout. My emphasis was photography but our program forced us to study multiple disciplines, so I'm familiar with oil painting, watercolor, drawing, computer art, metalworking, ceramics, sculpture, all of which use those good old design principles. And common to all creative arts programs, "Just want it done" is the MOST COMMON reason something is "off"
Old 11-01-2009, 05:04 PM

abledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of lightabledog is a glorious beacon of light

I went back to my original file and, (as hoped), I still had all my layers separated. I played with the sky a bit, and I think this works a bit better. I knew something was bothering me about the other one, but sometimes you need another observer's input to let you 'see' it. At any rate I don't intend to play with this one any further.. more excited to produce newer works.
Thanks again for the input!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shuttle_002.jpg (457.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Definitely looks like a huge improvement.

Its clear to me that the sun either just went down or is just about to come up. The lack of detail in the buildings represents that very well, letting the lights of the city show where they are. To me it feels like the sun just set, and there's a whole evening ahead and all the people are coming out to play.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

I'm certainly no expert, but that second one is 'better', especially with regards to the close building on the right side. It's very cool how Talon has picked that out and even cooler how quickly you can do what you did! It looks like a painting and yet you've completely changed the dynamic. I'll still take the first one though
Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Very nice work!

Great layouts/compositions. (PM sent)

Scott
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 AM

illusionist New face in the crowd

cool drawings..love the vehicles...great work!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Location: Corellia, just south of Mandalor, north of Tatooine, east of Coruscant and west of Gotham City.
Boxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant futureBoxster has a brilliant future

Hey, I really like your designs! Some very great stuff there!

B