Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice
Default Re: Modifying the Lunar Models Excelsior

The nacelles are cut and the spacers to correct their length are about to be glued into place.

1 1/4" spacers to lengthen the nacells to 22" for the new scale.

The grid lines and contour of the bottom of the saucer is started with Aves Apoxie Paste. Aves will not attack the thin styrene, and it will add strength due to the over-size grid details LM implemented into the kit.

Once sanded, primed, and tweeked, the trench for the "neck/dorsal" will be cut into the saucer.

Tracy
Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM
One-trek Mind

Trekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati GodTrekriffic Resin Illuminati God

I admire all the work you are putting into this.

"I'm afraid the guilty party is in for a very severe punishment."
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Vidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really niceVidar710 is just really nice

Y-eeeeah, no.... Those styrene strip plugs just did not want to stay in place, so I'm calling a Mulligan.

The new plan is to make a new plug mastered out of dense foam, filled, sanded and shaped into a master. I'll mold it and cast a set of two.

Pattern in the foam.

Master, before filling, sanding and priming.

Tracy
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Normality Restored

beeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati Godbeeblebrox666 Resin Illuminati God

Nicely done.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 PM

The 1 1/4" plugs were finished then molded and cast.

Two castings were made and glued into place on plates that reshape the bow of the nacelles.

Template and styrene plates

Plates taped together then sanded together to refined the bow shape and ensure both nacelles are the same.

The nacelle bottoms and resin plugs are glued down onto the plates. You can see the difference in the plates shape compared to the LM kit parts - just like the secondary hull.

The same paper template was used to make the plate to re-shape the top bow nacelle hood.

Hoods cemented to the plates.

I'll apply the Apoxie Sculpt and re-shape these parts the same way I did the secondary hull.

Tracy
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 AM

More work on the nacelle masters...

The trailing edge of the top Bow shroud was determined and templates were made to create thin styrene patterns.

The trailing edge patterns cemented into place.

Apoxie Sculpt has been applied to fill the extension plug, and flesh out the basic shapes on the new top and bottom nacelle bow.

Tracy

Last edited by Vidar710; 05-17-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Coming along nicely!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 AM
More dangerous than I look!

zysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati Godzysurge Resin Illuminati God

Enjoying watching the process.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:32 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

It s SO nice watching the grownups model. Thank you, Tracy.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 AM

First round for refining the shape of the Nacelles bows. The Apoxie Sculpt has been sanded to shape.

Next, filler will be applied to cover seems and imperfections in the nacelles.

Tracy
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 PM

Nacelles with their first primer coat, and the first round of filler to smooth out any imperfections.

Tracy
Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 PM

Back and forth with priming and sanding to level the surface.

Nacelle bottoms and forward top cowls are complete! Shown here with the primary hulls superstructure.

Tracy
Old 06-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Here's how the progress of fixing the bottom of the primary hull went...

Original Lunar Models vacuum form part.

Roughed out changes to be made

Fleshing out the trench parts.

Trench Assembly

New profile and trench ready for installation.

Making the cuts.

Installing the changes.

from the inside of the hull. styrene re-enforcements were made.

Trench fully installed

Determining the shaped of the Dorsal's Trench using a scaled image of the studio model. This also determined the correct shape of the secondary hull's bow.

The crest is removed and a flat plate is installed for mounting the scratch-built Planetary Sensor Dome.

Filling is the over-exaggerated grid details. I used Apoxie Paste to ensure the thin styrene would not be melted or deformed from standard fillers and puttys.

A pater template is made and test fit to the hull.

The cut for the Dorsal Trench is made.

Base Plate is glued into place.

The vertical wall is glued into plase. as well as a piece of sheet styrene to level out the dip in the hull.

Plenty of back-n-forth with filling, sanding a priming until a smooth surface is made. Here it sits with the resurfaced upper half of the primary hull.

With the bottom of the secondary hull's master complete, preliminary work has started on the Dorsal/Neck assembly. Templates shown in place.

Tracy
Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Outstanding !

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

!!!!!!!