Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 06-18-2020, 02:26 PM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of
Default 1/537 USS Belknap

The newest project is a commission build of the Belknap cruiser in 1/537 scale. Using my last existing "smoothie" as the donor primary/nacelles and a purchased Alliance models resin conversion kit, I've also acquired upgraded 3D printed accurizing components for the B/C deck. bridge, lower sensor, impulse and inboard warp grills. A PE detail set by Green Strawberry was also employed for extra details. This will be lit with some window ports backlit with 35mm slides of the VIP, Rec deck. impulse grills and hangar bay details.

Window ports were filled with UV curing clear resin and sanded flush:

Laser-level guide to verify primary alignment to dorsal and secondary hull.

The secondary hull was solid resin. Cut it in half just before the hangar deck and began boring it out. Loads of fun:

Customized VIP suite artwork (3D render created by Donny Versiga):

Ship's Builder plaque art:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg profile.jpg (77.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 06-19-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:17 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1/537 USS Belknap

You're certainly not a man to slow down on projects are you?
Yet another piece of artwork in the works for us mere mortals to take inspiration from I see.

Forgive my ignorance here, but I have to ask: What's with that pink laser light show? Could you tell me what it is I am looking at here?

I like the effect but I'm not sure what it is. What is it's primary function and what other uses does it have? Where can I buy one and how much....?

Thanks !
Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM
All ahead full

AdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud ofAdmiralBuck has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
You're certainly not a man to slow down on projects are you?
Yet another piece of artwork in the works for us mere mortals to take inspiration from I see.

Forgive my ignorance here, but I have to ask: What's with that pink laser light show? Could you tell me what it is I am looking at here?

I like the effect but I'm not sure what it is. What is it's primary function and what other uses does it have? Where can I buy one and how much....?

Thanks !
Thanks MH! Lots of irons in the fire means pretty much doing this full time. And a half.

Sorry, I forgot to do a proper job of describing and labeling the photos. This was a quick dump of the handful of images I've taken so far. The project really hasn't started in earnest officially as I'm trying to wrap up a few others. Right now, I'm mostly ordering parts and doing some early inspection and management of the logistics involved.

I had posted a kit post (first image) on FB and received a comment (from an RI member here) that he had built the prototype model for the box art photography and warned that early versions of the kit caused the dorsal connect to the primary to pitch it forward. A revised version was made in later releases. I apparently have the original version but after dry fitting it together and using my laser level to check alignment, it appears correct without any adjustments.

What you're seeing above is my laser-level, projecting a cross hair to the model on the bench. I've used this many times before on most of my scratch built projects to ensure square or level. I can mount this overhead of my workbench or on a tripod. These are available at most hardware stores and are quite reasonable. I use mine to help level photos or align other things hung on the wall in the house. Internally, the laser head floats so you can level to the earth or you can lock the axis and move how you desire.

Here it is in use on the Sentinel project:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 06-19-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:24 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

Nice! looking forward to this. The Belknap was the first after market pattern I created. It was a huge challenge. I had drawings only, no 3D images of this design back then. I'm thinking 2000-2004-ish!? I didn't even take progress photos back then.

Can't wait to see more......
Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Nice! looking forward to this. The Belknap was the first after market pattern I created. It was a huge challenge. I had drawings only, no 3D images of this design back then. I'm thinking 2000-2004-ish!? I didn't even take progress photos back then.

Can't wait to see more......
Thanks for following Scott! These are the sharpest cast details I've ever seen. Just a beautiful master. Blap mentioned that he thought you had created this. I originally had a feeling after looking at the parts that you indeed did.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:48 AM
acceptus est impugnatio

Raytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati GodRaytheon Resin Illuminati God

As always my friend, precision work! I really like the brasswork on the nacelle grilles
And I have a fuckin' attitude.
Does that count?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
As always my friend, precision work! I really like the brasswork on the nacelle grilles
Thanks Ian! It seems a shame to cover up the brightwork in paint but at least we know whence it came.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:01 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

The site has been quiet for a while, then the Admiral shows up and BAM here we all are!

Looking god, Admiral. (that is not a typo...)

Looks like you took enough resin out of the secondary hull to make a whole other model! And the art work for the interior looks great. Looks like a high-end boutique where someone could buy super expensive luggage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuID2ijD_A

Can't wait to see more.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 06-25-2020, 11:59 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
The site has been quiet for a while, then the Admiral shows up and BAM here we all are!

Looking god, Admiral. (that is not a typo...)

Looks like you took enough resin out of the secondary hull to make a whole other model! And the art work for the interior looks great. Looks like a high-end boutique where someone could buy super expensive luggage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuID2ijD_A

Can't wait to see more.
Hah! You ain't kidding. There's been a hell of a lot of boring and grinding. I'm still not anywhere near the window ports.

Donny did such a beautiful job on that wood paneling for Endurance I just had to reuse this on Belknap. Luggage costs will be extra.

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 06-25-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:41 PM
All ahead full

Shapeways upgrade/replacement parts have arrived today from the storefront of Michael Wiley's 1/537 refit catalog.

The lower nav dome and sensor pod fits like a cupped glove to the bottom of the hull. The details are razor sharp.

The bridge and B/C deck are two separately purchased items. Big improvement over the model components. The impulse deck is another impressive piece which I'll have to modify a bit for Belknap.

The lighting diagram for the external navigation and spotlighting was mocked up:

Last edited by AdmiralBuck; 06-25-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:25 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info on the laser leveller. I'd never seen one till now. Maybe my life is a bit more sheltered than I thought...
Quick question, what's your method of removing the excess interior resin without going through to the surface? Cutting blade, drill or other? I ask only because my next project after ghe SD will be the Korbanth SSD and that has some solid chunks of resin which will need hollowing out for lights and I'm kinda undecided on the best way to approach it.
As for this build, mate, not much I can say that hasn't already been said. As always, your constantly challenging my views on the ST ships and that's not an easy thing to do.
Looking forward to the next update
Si
Old 06-29-2020, 09:52 AM
All ahead full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
Thanks for the info on the laser leveller. I'd never seen one till now. Maybe my life is a bit more sheltered than I thought...
Quick question, what's your method of removing the excess interior resin without going through to the surface? Cutting blade, drill or other? I ask only because my next project after ghe SD will be the Korbanth SSD and that has some solid chunks of resin which will need hollowing out for lights and I'm kinda undecided on the best way to approach it.
As for this build, mate, not much I can say that hasn't already been said. As always, your constantly challenging my views on the ST ships and that's not an easy thing to do.
Looking forward to the next update
Si
Hollowing out resin hulls usually requires all manner of tools and it's never pretty. Such is the case with this project. I'm not sure I've discovered any 'best way" yet. After selecting a good place to cut the solid hull in half so I could reach inside from both ends and creating a flat end - I used a drill press with the biggest drill bits that would fit to remove as much as I could from the center. I followed up with my Micro Dremel using several different round grinding heads and eventually the sanding drum. Most of the time I feel like I'm a dentist inside a big tooth doing this. It's slow going and makes a mountain of resin snow all around you. Once close to a window port from the inside, I'll drilll through the port from the outside to see just how far I have yet to go - gauging by the cross-section thickness. Sometimes all you really need to grind out are the areas near the windows, not necessarily the entire hull. But I'd say for me, the ball-tipped, high-speed grinding bit for the Dremel really chews through resin.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:23 PM

srspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant futuresrspicer has a brilliant future

I concur with AB.
When I need to remove material from a solid chunk, I also use various ball & tapered bits for the Dremel. I use the flex-shaft type of Dremel, they have a lot more horse power and will not heat up like a hand held unit will. Once I am near my wall thickness, I hold the piece up to a bright lamp to see the different wall thicknesses as you are grinding. It can be surprisingly accurate when you take your time.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the tips giys. I have 2 of those ball grinders already which is what I use now. I also have a couple of routers too which I'm contemplating trying out but I'm concerned that they'll just decimate the resin. I'll have to try casting a piece and use the copy as a test subject. I'll share the results of the router (not here though as this threads not about me)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:30 PM

StarCruiser is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one who thinks the Belknap would look really good in 1/350?