Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > CGI, Costumes, Props, Artwork, Action Figures > Costumes and Props

Costumes and Props Costumes, Prosthetics, Props, and Makeup

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Shaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant future
Default Hand Laser from The Cage

I started working on a hand laser from The Cage because it had been on my mind recently and I thought I would share my progress to date. I haven't started on the barrel or grip just yet, just the rear body so far.

As it is coming along right now, it'll be none functional other than being able to change the barrel length. I haven't ruled out adding the well for the rear sight, but at least one of the original props didn't include it so I might not worry about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hl-002.jpg (24.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Shaw; 04-29-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM

Shaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant futureShaw has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hand Laser from The Cage

Well, don't hold back too long... after all, I need to bounce ideas off of someone.

For example, the idea I have for changing setting lengths would come from first cutting a guide groove into the bottom of the inner barrel and having a guide pin (which might not be anything more than a short screw) in the outer barrel to guide the movements.

This is a quick sketch of what I'm thinking of.

Nothing terribly elaborate, but it should serve it's purpose.

I figure a small amount of fabric glued to the inside of the outer barrel should keep the two barrels snug while not scratching the outside of the inner barrel (which would be visible at some settings).

I'm thinking that I could cast the grip, rear body and inner barrel as a single piece, and the rings of the outer barrel as individual pieces, that would leave me with just the outer barrel itself to come up with as something simple (like PVC piping) and the nozzles (acrylic tubes).
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Shaw,

Great work!! 1 point though:

If you have the pin in the rear of the outer barrel and the track on the inner one wont the track show when the barrel is extended?

Would it work to have the track on the inside of the outer barrel and the pin at the front of the inner one? so it looks smooth in all positions

RIchard
Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Well, I was mainly thinking of ease of assembly (and disassembly if needed)... the way you suggest would require cutting the track in the outer barrel, assembling that part, putting a sleeve of some type on the outer barrel to cover the track, and then finishing the assembly and painting.

Yes, it would look nicer from all angles, but I'll have to think about weather or not it would be worth the added effort.

Of course if I end up making castings for other people, I could leave that aspect as an option for them.

Additionally, doing it the way you suggest would open up the option of wider rotations of the outer barrel... which is another thing to take into consideration (my idea was rather limited in that way by attempting to keep the track only on the bottom).
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Richard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of AllRichard_2001 Overlord Master of All

Shaw,

Very good! It is your build after all and I think you have a very good idea on the ease of assembly part and I am not sure how they did it on the real deal but they could use 2 props if needed to get the angles needed without the track showing so that might not help you out with a practical prop.

RIchard
Old 03-23-2009, 02:51 AM

Small update... hardly worth mentioning, but it is progress none the less.

I've started in on the grip... which I've gotten to about the feel I recall from the one I had years ago. This is being built from memory more than any drawn out plans... which I don't have drawn yet (the sketch in the post above is based on my current progress).
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Another small update... working out the detailing on the grip right now.

when I get both sides done (and I'm done with the trigger, which I've avoided up to now), I'll work on the base of the grip.

Hopefully I'll have had enough time to consider what direction to take on the barrel. Richard's idea might be a better way to go if I end up only making one of these and put it inside of a display case with my Enterprise model (as replicas of things from The Cage).
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM

I've made a little more progress on my hand laser. I've got the grip almost exactly the way I want, and have a little more work to go on the trigger.

I included a shot of the front, which is unfinished as I haven't decided on what the next step will be just yet.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Studio Scale Pack Rat

Shaw,

Exciting progress there! looks like you got the shape down very well!

RIchard
Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks!

Yeah, I was able to over come most of the early hurdles... which means I'm about to have to deal with the barrel issues. I figure I'll finish up with some of the remaining small details and then set it aside until I finish a few of my other projects. That'll give me time to ponder both how the barrel will work, and what to do about the bands and end cap.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:08 AM

To get a feel for where I'm at with this project I did a quick-n-dirty painting of the piece. It was helpful in that I saw a few spots I need to work on that I hadn't seen before... and now it looks more like what it is supposed to be.