Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Starfighter Jock will become famous soon enoughStarfighter Jock will become famous soon enough
Default Academy 1/48 F-4C Phantom

Beginnings of my Academy F-4C Phantom, getting the weapons payload and wing tanks done straight off. I have left these for last on other aircraft model builds and they are so tiresome and fiddly that I would rather get them done first and then move on to the cockpit and airframe builds. Will be using the kit decals for Robin Olds F-4C circa 1967, always wanted this bird in my collection and the Academy kit looked very nice so will see how it builds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.JPG (2.17 MB, 12 views)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: Academy 1/48 F-4C Phantom

Another build I'll be following - I want a 48th F-4 and haven't decided which kit to get!

Many thanks for posting! I know how you feel about the ordnance - that's how I feel about cockpits
Old 11-24-2014, 06:17 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Starfighter Jock will become famous soon enoughStarfighter Jock will become famous soon enough

The Academy kit has some really excellent surface details, but as the basic mold is made to kit several different version of the F-4 there are of course separate panels that have to be dealt with for the particular version, which means filling, sanding and rescribing some panel lines. I am replacing the cockpit and wheel wells with the Aries resin replacements as the kit parts are lacking quite a bit of detail in those areas but other than that looks to be a very nice kit. We shall see when I get to putting the airframe and wings together how much effort is required.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Some progress on the kit, starting to dry-fit the Aries resin cockpit into the Academy kit. The Aries instructions claim that some trimming of the kit is required to fit the set, which is an understatement of major proportions! I have already removed all the kit molded railings and have be working the thickness of the interior fuselage sides down with the Dremel and a sphere shaped cutting bit. I have the cockpit set rough fitted and now I am going to have to paint and final assemble the cockpit so that I can do the final fitting into the fuselage. Something already tells me that I will be building out the cockpit deck railings with styrene strips as I just can't see any other way of doing it, not an easy drop in replacement set at all, but the detail on the Aries set is first class so hope all this extra time and work turns out to be worth it.

I have also completed the building of the AIM-7's & 9's along with drop tanks and inner pylons, and have applied a coat of primer to them. I was not really happen with the kit's AIM-7's & 9's so I took advantage of some Cyber-Monday shopping sales and picked up a set of the Eduard 1/48 resin and photo-etch AIM-7E / AIM-9B missles, so I will now be re-building all those. Should have the cockpit painted and installed along with the resin nose wheel bay on the next round, then on to the wing assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.JPG (1.50 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.JPG (1.56 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.JPG (1.72 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.JPG (1.73 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg edusin64804.jpg (51.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

Looks cool... I got a question.. Do you think it is really with the $$$ to spend on the Eduard BIG SIN kit? Do the stock missiles look crappy compared to Eduard?? Is the quality THAT good? What say you?
Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

The resin and PE missile set is superior as far as scale and overall detail. While the kit missiles are very nice for injection molding the fins are way to thick and also have the molding seam to deal with. The AIM-7's you really can't see that much of as they are tucked up in the fuselage wells, but the AIM-9's hang right out there on the inboard pylons and are very visible. For myself, they are worth the extra $$, but everyone needs to make their own choice on that. I can recommend the Eduard sets as I have used a couple of them in the past and they are easy to build and add that true scale look.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:17 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Progress on the Aires cockpit and front wheel well, it is now fitted and in place. I am going to have to do the painting with the cockpit installed as it was just not going to work trying to paint the cockpit set and install it in the fuselage as it required to much fiddly work to get it in. But as the figure painters say, "If you can see it, you can paint it" As you can see from the stock fuselage, the Aires cockpit does make a huge difference in detail so I think it has been worth it to put in the extra time to install it. Also, have some paint work and weathering done on the drop tanks and I also picked up a set of the F-4B/C profiled intakes from DMold Modelworks for the Academy kit which provides a completely seamless intake trunk. This should make the work on the intakes much simpler as the kit intakes have several pieces and all the seam filling work to go along with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-7-15 photo import 161.JPG (1.83 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1-7-15 photo import 163.JPG (1.73 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1-7-15 photo import 164.JPG (1.78 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1-7-15 photo import 165.JPG (1.84 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1-7-15 photo import 166.JPG (1.67 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Starfighter Jock; 01-07-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I Am Sofa King We Todd Ed

mackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant futuremackjsm has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter Jock View Post
The resin and PE missile set is superior as far as scale and overall detail. While the kit missiles are very nice for injection molding the fins are way to thick and also have the molding seam to deal with. The AIM-7's you really can't see that much of as they are tucked up in the fuselage wells, but the AIM-9's hang right out there on the inboard pylons and are very visible. For myself, they are worth the extra $$, but everyone needs to make their own choice on that. I can recommend the Eduard sets as I have used a couple of them in the past and they are easy to build and add that true scale look.
Thanks Bud!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM
"Spock, pull my finger"

Going to have to put this build on hold for a while, have a commission build that I have to get started on. That is not a bad thing for me, this kit was sending my frustration level to a new high so best to get away from it for a while. More later.