Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1/35 BR52 - Germany's WW2 Work horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darth Beavis View Post
Feedback--not sure how constructive, but, DAY-YUM!!! That looks GREAT!!!

The vinyl air lines...did you think about replacing them with wire of suitable diameter? Just thinking it might have been easier to work with than vinyl tubing, is all.

And, another thing...WHY did the Germans, for that matter, all European locomotive manufacturers, use such small-diameter boilers on their steam locos? Were they that much more efficient than American boilers, that they could get away with the smaller diameter? Or was it that their trains were much lighter than the typical American haul?
Thanks bud
The vinyl lines weren't that bad actually. They attached just fine to the resin taps with CA and if you prime them, painting is a breeze. Although, mine still look like they did before I painted them. Not quite sure how that happened...but it did. I ended up very lightly rubbing the exposed side with the light gunmetal colour in the Tamiya weathering set. It looks so much better now. Should've just painted the. Black with out the steel colour underneath.
I did think briefly about using 0.04 mm brass tubing as a replacement but then I said to myself 'f&$k that!' at the mere thought of trying to tease brass tubing into those complex angles and bends. I think I've had my ration of working with PE for the year as it is. Metal work is something I should have studied harder at whilst at school all those many years ago.

As for why the Germans sized their boilers the way they did.... I have no idea at all sorry. I figure it was just because they could. Maybe their engineers had a different theory behind the dynamics of a boiler, as you said.

Anyway, must be off to do some more on it while the wife is out!!
Thanks again for dropping me a line Darth. Always a pleasure
MH

Last edited by Madhatter; 10-29-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

Well, things are now drawing to a close! At long last. I only have a few more things to attach and the engine is pretty much done - or at least construction will be. I will spend another few days weathering it so it's all uniform, but I hope to get the rest of it done tomorrow - or as much as I can.

The drive linkages were very fiddly to say the least but now that it's all together, it looks good. Even the bottom of it looks cool. I haven't taken any pics of that part yet -but I will.

Here's where I am up to at the moment:

The light green is really showing as prominent - but in the plastic, it's not as bright. It's only because I am using a high F stop and long exposure tie that it looks like that.

So there you have it - almost done! I bought a 1.8m length of timber today to get ready to start laying down some track and ground work. I've ever built a diorama before, so this (like a steam engine) will be a learning curve for me.

I'm just hoping that my shelf will be long enough. If not, then I may have to rethink building the K5 just yet and will have to make do with the 52. But I really do want to build the railroad gun

Anyway - it's almost half past midnight here and I am shattered, so I am off to bed, but I'll continue with this in the morning and start adding the final bits and bobs

As always, comments and constructive critique are always welcome

Bye for now
MH
Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

She looks great! Can't wait to see her paired with the K5!

Maybe you should do a Karl Morser to go with her!

Please consider making a donation to Shriner's Hospitals For Children.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:38 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Oooooo yeah-----what Beav said! A Karl Morser would be ridiculous!!!!

Great work!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 PM

yeah ridiculous but still cool. No room for that what so ever...

98% finished now. Just need to add 2 or 3 things, then its time to build the flack gnus. I did some measuring last night and I do not have enough space to have this and the K5 in a row, so will have to rethink my dio to have them side by side. Not sure how I'll present it.

Please excuse the bad white balancing - I haven't got the energy to colour correct them all. I'll fix them over the next few days when I get a few free minutes to do it

Well, that's probably it now. The next batch of shots will most likely be the start of the flack guns

Till then

MH
Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 AM

Lord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati GodLord Darth Beavis Resin Illuminati God

Put a switch in, and run the BR52 alongside the K-5, like she is goining around the big gun.

Like this:

Old 11-09-2014, 04:57 PM

yeah - that is something close to what I have in mind. Just not the actual switch

well, it's pretty much done now. Just need to finish off painting the smoke deflectors and then the engine is being classed as done. I'll do a full picture set once the Flak gun is finished and placed on the tender

I ended up making my own bulbs that go under the walk way as the kit ones just didn't look right. So I held the end of a bit of clear parts frame to a lighter and gently mushroomed the ends. They came out crystal clear and infinitely better than the ones on before. Painted in clear orange, they look just right - well, to me they do.

I also put the decals on. My first ever experience with Archer Dry Decals isn't a good one - despite following their instructions to a tee. In a weir way - the Swaz Sticker was the only part from both transfers to actually come off the backing paper! The eagle was a complete waste of time. So I used both the kit and the Archer decals. I have also tried to give the impression that the rego plates are sitting at a bit of height like the real ones. I probably should have just placed the decals on a strip of styrene to do that - but it wasn't until after I'd placed them did I realise they were actually a raised panel. Anyway, it looks OK to me.

And lastly - one thing I truly love is the taped up pipe up near the drivers cab. I don't know why - but it's one of my favorite parts. Go figure...

Anyway, last set of pics before I do a final set with everything on

As always - thanks for stopping by and having a look

MH
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Just beautiful MH!

And you take excellent pics too!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 AM

Thanks bud
I try to take decent photographs because the one thing I can't stand is blurry pictures.
I've been trialling my knew learnt photography dynamics skills with mixed results.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:23 AM
My ass is itchy...

Me neither!

I just upgraded to a Nikon 5300 as well as upgraded the "kit" lens. SOMEDAY if I can quit working so much, I'll actually get try it out on some of my work.....

Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 AM

I will be IN. MY. BUNK!!!

That loco looks fan-freaking-tastic!

Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 AM

I am going to show my complete ignorance here, but what does "I'm going to be in my bunk mean"?
Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 AM

You've never seen Firefly? Duuuude...

That was Jayne Cobb's response anytime he heard something remotely sexual. Many of us in the modeling community have hijacked it...basically, it's so we can all model .