Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 02-13-2017, 06:30 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default 1/28 Revell Dr.1, Lola from "The Great Waldo Pepper"

Anyone who's modeled for any length of time is probably familiar with this kit. It has been produced in one form or another since 1957. I know I went thru a ton of them when I was a kid, and I built one a few years back for Mrs Cat's office desk. Every one I ever built was of The Red Baron's plane...but that wasn't my favorite color scheme.

I saw the movie The Great Waldo Pepper in about 1980 and the yellow and black Triplane flown by Ernst Kessler made a BIG impression on me.

I recently found a Lola 'skin' for a freeware MSFS X Triplane and have been flying the hell out of it:

It was done by a fellow named Chris Brisland, and the Triplane itself was made by Neoqb. If you have FSX, go and download the plane - it is lots of fun to fly.

I started gluing the kit together. This is a kind of therapy build, and the goal is to build it as cheaply as possible, so that means I didn't do much at all in the way of aftermarket parts. As such, the cockpit interior is box stock. No added detailing. In fact, very little work at all was done to the interior. This build will never see a contest, so no worries.

I printed out the textures from the FSX plane to scale with the model, so I could see what needed to be done:

I liked what I saw, so off to the paint shop for primer:

My dad gave me a lightly-used can of Testors Yellow, so I decanted it and shot it thru my airbrush:

After the yellow had dried, I masked it off and shot semigloss black and white:

I had to go back and paint the black outlines on the upper wing white areas. The lettering is just cut from the 'texture' and pasted on. As soon as I'm happy with the sizes, I'm going to have them made in decal form:

The plane used in filming had a standard radial engine instead of a rotary, and so its cowling was open at the front so cooling wouldn't be an issue. I don't know where to find a 1/28 Continental, so I'm going with the original setup. I compromised and painted the front of the cowl black:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WpepperDR4.jpg (20.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by The Cat; 02-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: 1/28 Revell Dr.1, Lola from "The Great Waldo Pepper"

Black and yellow baby!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

It needs some hypocycloids! Nice job!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future

That's looking great!

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Chief D.D. Maxwell will become famous soon enoughChief D.D. Maxwell will become famous soon enough

Sweet...

Current assignment:
U.S.S. Miranda NCC-1833
Captain D.A. Lewis commanding
Old 02-23-2017, 06:03 PM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

i have "The Great Waldo Pepper" in my "video" library.. if you need any screen shots, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waldo.jpg (185.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg waldo2.jpg (179.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by tsenecal; 02-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

WOW those are great shots - and they're now my wallpaper on my work computer!

Can you get me a shot like this? And - can you tell me if the coaming around the cockpit is brown or black?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WpepperDR4.jpg (20.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:48 PM

tsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to beholdtsenecal is a splendid one to behold

a couple shots of the coaming... looks brown to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coaming1.jpg (143.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg coaming2.jpg (157.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 PM

a shot showing the pilot's garb (black jacket, black cap, black goggles, white scarf), the tiny windscreen, and the color (flat black) of the guns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windscreen.jpg (136.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by tsenecal; 02-24-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM

a few shots of the tattered wing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left2.jpg (195.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg left3.jpg (180.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg left1.jpg (155.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by tsenecal; 02-24-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Holy CRAP those are some good shots - THANK YOU!!!

Looks like I'll be beefing the coaming up a little - and changing the proportions of the lettering on the elevators.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM

KUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to allKUROK is a name known to all

Nice plane, Cat!!!