Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 AM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold
Default Gelvades Class Battle Carrier 1/1000 scale "Darold"

Hi guys
This isn't exactly a review, but I thought i would share it with you none the less.

I was perusing the shelves of my LHS the other day and I came across this new looking kit from (of all companies) Bandai.

It is the self described Astro Battleship/Carrier from the Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 series. It looks much better than some of the earlier Yamato series ships. I was quite drawn to the sleek lines of this ship and it's almost how I would envision a space carrier to look like

I am currently thinking up ways to detail it up and of course light it. The carrier deck looks easy enough to light, but the engines look quite challenging to say the least
It comes with another 2 ships - for which I have no idea of their use let alone type. I'm sure an avid fan of the series would be able to tell me...
First up, the parts:

and the instructions book. It is entirely in Japanese, but the pics speak for themselves, so I won't need a translator

this will be the version I'll do:

Not sure when I'll start it though. As shameful as it is, I'll need to get the OK from the kill-joy/ wife

As I said, I'm not normally into this kind of sci-fi, but I really like the design of this ship.

It was a little bit expensive though - $69.99 AU but I think it'll make a worthy subject. I might do a WIP if anyone is interested.

Let me know what you think if this ship - good or bad
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gelvades Class Battle Carrier 1/1000 scale "Darold"

Nice lookin' kit. How long do you reckon that it's going to be once assembled, exactly? Looks like maybe 10" / 25.4cm, eyeballing it by your ruler there.

Good to see you pick up a SciFi kit, too! Hopefully, DaWife will let you build it w/in a reasonable time frame. Maybe a Christmas build...?

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Madhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to beholdMadhatter is a splendid one to behold

With the detailing ideas I have for this, getting it built before Xmas is just never going to happen.
I am completely editing this because I felt that what I said was unjustified and not very nice towards my wife. I also struck a deal with her and I am going to resume building.
Now for the hard part.
I'm tossing up between making the Battle carrier, the Trumpeter 1/35 BR-52 with lots of extras or the 1/32 SU27 in Ukrainian Splinter. Which should I choose??? I hate making decisions sometimes.....

Last edited by Madhatter; 11-04-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM

forgot to say - the kit when finished is 39cm long
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Battlestar Triton

Griffworks has disabled reputation

Thanks for the info. And for the record, I thought you were jokin' with the comment about your wife. I know a couple of guys who almost literally have to ask permission to buy anything model related. Their wives, tho, don't have to ask to buy new jewelry, shoes or clothing.

Itís advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you donít know!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 AM

LOL - yeah, it probably sounds worse than it is. She just hates me spending more time on kits than with her
I'm going to start this build off shortly though So many ideas.....I have no idea on where to start