Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Military

Military Military WIPs

Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM

Haratio Fales is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Z plan German M class Cruiser 1940

Picture 090.jpg

Picture 091.jpg

Picture 092.jpg

Picture 093.jpgCool, I thought someone might like that scale. Let me get this big baby built and I'll scale it down and work on 1/350. What is funny about it in that scale is that I would only need to make the Hull and super structure as all the other parts can be taken from a bismark kit like the airplane, rangefinders, and secondary guns, which are the main turrets on the cruiser.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Picture 094.jpg

Picture 095.jpg

Picture 096.jpg

Picture 097.jpgYou can see here that I did some filling, grinding and sanding to get her closer to were I want her to be.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Picture 103.jpg

Picture 104.jpg

Picture 105.jpg

Picture 108.jpgI cut off the center screw skeg as I think i can make one easier off the ship and I can better shape the ship hull with out it in the way.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Mostly Harmless

777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God777 Resin Illuminati God

Welcome and excellent WIP shots. All modeling goodness desired here!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM

Picture 109.jpg

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 111.jpg

Picture 112.jpgI made a little progress here, I just need to keep plugging away at it.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 AM

Picture 113.jpg

Picture 114.jpgI keep adding Bondo, and regrinding to raise the low area's and flaws.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

How much does this puppy weigh?

I say that because back in the day I had a 1973 Chevy Vega---by the time I glassed and bondoed all the rust holes, the gas mileage dropped by 50% !

Seriously---this is fun to watch.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Picture 115.jpg

Picture 116.jpg

Picture 117.jpg

Picture 118.jpg

Picture 120.jpgShe weighs about 170 lbs at this point, which is ironic because that's close to scale weight. I didn't plan it that way.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haratio Fales View Post
She weighs about 170 lbs at this point, which is ironic because that's close to scale weight. I didn't plan it that way.
Wow!

Scale weight? That's pretty cool!

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
A threat to all you hold dear

Location: Directly above the center of the Earth. ( Leander, TX.)
Dr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Yo has a reputation beyond repute

O boy, a new qualifier..."but is it scale weight?"

Seriously cool work. I like the DKM stuff as well. Everybody knows about the
increasingly prepposterous battleship plans ( 20 inch guns...sheesh. ) but hardly
anybody talks about cruisers. ( which do the work )
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Yes The plans for the H class if built mols likley would have resulted in 6 ships with 8-406 mm / 16 inch guns and would have weighed 65,000 standard tons. They would have compared favorably with the Iowa class except a tad overweight for their armerment.
The plan for the 144,000 ship that was drawn up was a design study with the Idea of a ship that would be able to bear any threat of the time and this was before the 17,000 lb tall boy bombs that were droped on Tirpetz were any kind of a reality. There were 7-20inch guns already built and they put them on railway cars. One of the most famous is Leapold which is located at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, at the Armor Museum just north of Baltimore Maryland.
So the problem wasn't the guns it was making the rest of the ship which would have weighed as much as a modern U.S. aircraft carrier. The builders and design bureau both knew it wasnt feasable, but Hitler liked the idea because he was enamoured with the idea of projecting power of any kind.
For this to be any kind of a reality the war woould have had to start in 1944 to 1950, and Germany would have had to beat the Soviets in a war without fighting Britan and U.S., or they would have had to be freinds with the Soviets, like Japan wished for. In short Germany would have needed lots more money and raw materials and realy needed such a ship to build it, which was highly unlikley given the timeframe in history that was involved.Hclass extreme.jpgthis is a simulated picture of this ship by Tirpetz if she would have been built, from Hclassbattleship.com
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Back to the cruisers. The germans did build one Aircraft carrier, and was converting the Sydlitz hull into another, but this again was to little, to late. If Germany would have recognized teh value of the carriers, like Japan and Briton allot sooner, and had allot more guidence on their construction and opperation from Japan then perhapse they could have had 2 to 4 operational carriers durring the war. It is most likley that the british Navy would have Prioretized their destruction though and it would have been interesting to see how this scenerio would have played out. Germany was just simply at a disatvantage in the Navy game because of the years of depresion, IE lacking funds for research and development, and the Naval treaties effecting them Not building serious warships in tonage needed to be a arms race threat, and the rest of the world watching them closely enough that they didn't get away with allot of sneaky stuff on a large scale. Example, they did build the 3 Pansershifs, Deutchland, Sheer and Graf Spee, which they called Heavy cruisers, but with 11 inch guns that had 675 lb projectiles, VS 8 inch 200 lb rounds. My point here is they built 3 ships which were a surprise, not 9 or 15 which could have been a nightmare for Briton and the allies because everywhere one of these ships went, You needed a ship like Repulse or Hood there to realistically deal with them.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM

The Germand had quite a few designs for Z plan ships that were never realized. The did lay the keel for M and N and had the materials seting in the yards for O of the first 3 light cruisers that I am modeling here. I ame damned fortunate to have gotten My hands on the line drawings from the person who acctually worked at the Willhelms Haven ship yard in those days. His grand daughter was My girl friend while I ws stationed in the Army there in 1989 -1992, and having been in the Navy first He and I talked about ships allot and the WW2 waytimes and got way drunk on voda and brandy more than a few occasions, so anyway I saw and got ahold of plans for some proposed ships that few have access to. After I finish the Munich, I plan to start a 72 scale Yahagi, (light Japanese cruiser) then I am looking at scaling plans for a 72 scale Schlachtkruezer which was a armored cruiser design Z ship with 3-15 inch gun turrets and 3-6 inch turrets, or a P1 panser cruiser which would have been like Sharnhorst except a tad smaller and had 2-11 gun turrets and 2-8 inch gun turrets. The 1st was designed as a replacement of the Sharnhorst class and teh second was a replacement design for the Deutchland class.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM

sorry, didn't mean to get long winded there.Picture 121.jpg

Picture 122.jpgI like the way the Hull is shaping out.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM

Picture 124.jpg

Picture 125.jpg

Picture 126.jpg

Picture 127.jpg

Picture 128.jpgI'm going to try an idea i have, Im masking the Hull down with masking tape to simulate vertical fram lines.