Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > The Oratory > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Got a new kit, aftermarket accessory, or anything else modeling-related? Give us a review of it in this section. We need to hear the good and the bad. Please back up what you're saying with with photos (in cases of poor quality) or references (in cases of inaccuracies).

Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God
Default JTGraphics 1/537 K'Tinga upgrade parts

Last Wonderfest, I found an original, TMP-issue AMT K'Tinga kit, then I went bt JT-Graphics' table and picked up some of his resin upgrade parts for it.

I didn't have the heart to actually build that kit. However, Ibought a Round 2 reissue at the LHS this past Saturday....so now it's time to use those detail parts!

Before I start the build, I thought I'd take some comparison shots of the JT resin alongside the kit parts.

Commentary will be kept to a bare minimum.

Sets reviewed:

JTR-007 K'Tinga/Quonos One Replacement Bridge (opaque) $15

JTR-009 K'Tinga/Quonos One Disruptors $8

JTR-015 K'Tinga/Quonos One Manifolds $9

JTR-016 K'Tinga/Quonos One Replacement Neck $20

JTR-038 Klingon 'Bulb' (opaque) $10

(I neglected to get JTR-014 K'Tinga/Quonos One Shuttlebay and Disruptors, but that oversight will be remedied at this next Wonderfest!)

Bridge.

Direct replacement for kit parts 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31. MANDATORY!!!

Disruptors.

Kit lacks disruptors on the underside.

Manifolds.

Direct replacement for kit parts 13, 14, 15, and 16. Surgery needed on 17 and 18:

Neck

Direct replacement for parts 19, 20, 21, 33,and 23, as well as 4:

NOTE - neck has a piece of brass tubing through it for wiring lights. I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT IT WAS SOLID ROD, until I actually read the instructions. Turns out the ends had clay in them. DUH.

Bulb

Direct replacement for kit parts 24 and 25.

Last edited by The Cat; 04-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: JTGraphics 1/537 K'Tinga upgrade parts

Lucky fucker. Id give my left nut to build that...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Ridged For Her Pleasure

The Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mad Klingon has a reputation beyond repute

GLORIOUS!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
It's gonna get real now.

The Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati GodThe Cat Resin Illuminati God

It's great stuff. I've been asked about what I'd recommend at the bare minimum - if you're wanting the best-looking K'Tinga at the smallest possible price, you can get by with just the Bridge and Manifold sets.

The neck is the priciest part and forward of the detailed area at the back, it's the same as the kit part....but the altered area looks a lot better and it's a one-piece part. This eliminates a lot of work getting everything at the back to fit correctly.

Speaking of the neck, I just noticed that I didn't upload a pic of the FRONT of the replacement bulkhead, so here it is:

Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

That a major improvement over the kit parts.

Great review Cat!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Lurker

Trekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant futureTrekmanscott, M,Ed. has a brilliant future

I too have these parts at home an concurn with Dave, They are a must have
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

Dave, you pointed out to me those upgrade parts at Wonderfest 2010, which I bought without hesitation. I love those things, maybe one day I'll finally get around to using them.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
It's gonna get real now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Smoker View Post
Dave, you pointed out to me those upgrade parts at Wonderfest 2010, which I bought without hesitation. I love those things, maybe one day I'll finally get around to using them.
Is that when I bought mine?!? HAS IT BEEN THAT GORRAM LONG????

Barring unforseen circumstances - such as an ADHD flareup - I'm expecting to build my K'Tinga up sometime after Wonderfest.

I need a shuttle bay and MAYBE the impulse engine set before I can start. I COULD order them from Jeff, but it wouldn't do me any good right now, as I have a couple things that need finishing first.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM
It's gonna get real now.

Okay, ta hell with it.

Here's the main bulkhead attached. I sanded the front face of the hull and the back of the bulkhead - I want STRENGTH there:

One problem area with the kit is the fit of the torpedo tube area to the inside of the bulb. It's the same with the JT bulb:

I could attach the kit part and screw around with puttying and sanding it, but I don't have that kind of time (or patience). Besides, I think the tube looks a little too big in diameter when compared to the studio model.... so it's time to lay the plastic tubing to it.

Also, I think the hole is a little low, so I reamed it out at the top and made some adjustments:

Reinforced the area with CA and baking soda and trimmed the tubing:

If you look at the way the bridge deck fits on the bulb, you can see a gap at the front:

Sections of the armor plate on the bottom of the bridge part are getting in the way. I traced the outline of the bulb with a pencil:

More soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Groovy tunes.

Sci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati GodSci Fi Smoker Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post

Also, I think the hole is a little low, so I reamed it out at the top and made some adjustments:

That's what she said.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Shit got real.

HWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati GodHWR MKII Resin Illuminati God

Fuck yeah build that shit
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
It's gonna get real now.

A few pics:

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
It's gonna get real now.

A bit of a problem. Forgive the graininess of this pic - it was taken at extreme range. Note that the engines have a bit of toe-in. They'll have to come back off and the angle fixed:

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

U-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati GodU-boater Resin Illuminati God

Oh...

That's going to be gorgeous.

Can't wait to see her with the disruptor cannons in place.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Groovy tunes.

Very nice!!!!!