Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM

Splashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the rough
Default Colonial Viper MkI

Here's a W.I.P. look at my build of Moebius' 1/32 Colonial Viper MK1:

Box art and a snazzy art card of Ralph McQuarrie's viper concept design:

Stock Cockpit:

I removed the molded detail from the cockpit tub and re-faced it with ParaGrafix's photoetched set:

I opted not to use the pilot figure; so I made some cushions from styrene to dress-up the pilot's seat.

My initial inspection of the kit revealed that the manufacturer's mark on the side of the fuselage is going to have to go:

The kit features a clear insert for the engine exhausts. I'm not planning on lighting this kit so it will be painted:

Engine assembly - Moebius has engineered a fanstastic alignment/locking tab system into this part of the kit:

I covered the stand attachment slot with a length of styrene channel:

Last edited by Splashcoat; 04-30-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM

Tiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant futureTiberious has a brilliant future
Default Re: Colonial Viper MkI

Nice progress. Especially the cockpit. Those seat cushions look really good.

http://thome216.imgur.com/

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z156/Thome216/
Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM

Splashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the roughSplashcoat is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberious View Post
Nice progress. Especially the cockpit. Those seat cushions look really good.
Thanks, Tiberious. I had do do something there, the tub looks a little plain without the pilot to hide the lack of detail.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM

This kit's construction is very straightforward and no modification is required apart from the cockpit. So now on to the fun part... paint!
The kit is very well engineered and can be built and painted in sub-assemblies. Starting at the front; the nose intake cone is a darker grey than the rest of the fuselage so it will be painted separately. After painting the intake grille a dark metallic colour, it was masked off with tape using a molded line on the back of the part as a template for the mask. The recessed line is exactly the same size and shape as the grille and makes a pefect guide to cut the mask - coincidence?

I pre-painted the intake fans and masked them off prior to installation in the inatke scoops. The fit is very tight - they practically snap in, so you can get away with doing it this way.

Sub-assemblies masked and primed:

Last edited by Splashcoat; 05-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Peagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of AllPeagis Overlord Master of All

Nice work so far!

~Pete~
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM

I'm not going to use the kit decals for the red and grey stripes; rather, I'm going to paint the markings. I'm going to keep the grey primer for the stripe around the engine intakes, I masked this off prior to painting the main body colour.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Sub assemblies pre-shaded:

Sub assemblies painted:
Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM
My ass is itchy...

Neb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati GodNeb Resin Illuminati God

Nice work Splashcoat! Welcome to RI.

Nice avatar BTW.

Now, even if I WERE to attend, y'all better keep them costume wearing types away from me. I don't like you model people. How I ever got hooked up with you geeks, I'll never know. I lived all this time, just to end up spending my days with fucking "Skill Level 3" and "Ages 8 and up".
--Eagle-1, the funniest bastard on Earth!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Thanks, Neb... gotta love that LEGO Space!
I'm skipping the decals and painting on the Go Faster Stripes with a custom mix of Tamiya Red and Orange. First... a great deal of masking:

Looks faster already:
Old 05-10-2014, 02:06 AM

Revell-Fan will become famous soon enoughRevell-Fan will become famous soon enough

Very nice paint job! The red-orange looks very good!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM

Cheers, Revell-Fan. It took a couple of tries to get it right, orange is a hard colour to work with.

After I test fitted the sub assemblies, I noticed that the two wing wing mounted cannon were aiming slightly lower than horizontal. It's particulary notciable since the cannon are directly in front of the two open access bays which perfectly follow the horzontal plane of the fuselage. The wings are slightly warped, so softened them with a heat gun and coaxed them up a bit. This wasn't quite enough, so I carefully broke the glue line where the top of the fuselage meets the front of the intake section and added a styrene shim to push the nose down a little. This straightened everything out and the shim will be hidden by the rear section of the canopy.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM

The secondary weathering stage - After painting in the engine plumbing and other details, I applied various colours of pigment powder and sealed that down with a layer of Future. I added a few drops of gloss white acrylic paint to the gloss coat to lighten up the overall look of the paint finish and to tone down the bright red/orange stripes a bit.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Well, it's 99.9% finished. I haven't installed the landing gear and landing gear doors yet, I'm going to cast copies of those to use on my old Revell/Monogram Viper kits. In the meantime, here are a few test shots of the (almost) finshed product. The weathering was finished off with burnt sienna, black, and grey washes sealed in with a couple of coats of Liquitex matte varnish. I added a couple of drops of white acrylic paint to the matte coat as well to lighten the finish even further.

Last edited by Splashcoat; 05-16-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM

I finally got around to casting copies of the landing gear and installing the originals on this model. I can at last call this one DONE!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM

ResinEddie New face in the crowd
Thumbs up Re: Colonial Viper MkI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashcoat View Post
I can at last call this one DONE!
Well done, I would say.

Excellent work.

Cheers
Eddie