Resin Illuminati

Go Back   Resin Illuminati > Works in Progress > Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Sci-Fi and Fantasy WIPs

Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM

mslz22 has disabled reputation
Default All New SS TOS VIPER PATTERN, 15 1/2 inches completly scratchbuilt new pattern.

Well this one has been in the works for a while now and should be done by the end of the week, big thanks to Mike Reis who worked on this pattern with me, he created the files and had RP work done on the intakes and back thrusters and a couple of other parts. Jesse Meyers for his help, and guys like Mark D, who are always an insperation when it comes to BSG stuff, and lots of my other buddies who are always keeping me going on this stuff....Now the story.....

This is an all new, completly scratchbuilt pattern (no parts used from the ICONS or any other original casting) for the Studio Scale TOS BSG Viper. It comes in at 15 1/2 inches long, which is 10 percent bigger than any kit that can be traced back to a casting of an original Viper (ICONS, Custom Replics, MIM etc). All parts have been sized up to match the proportions of the original filming model as closely as possible, and is much cleaner and than any previous kit offering (no more squished engine tubes!!). The afterburners, and intakes were RP'd from Mikes files and closely match the filming model.

I will be posting more pics soon, and in the interest of full disclosure i will tell you that there were some small liberties taken in making this pattern, mostly in the interest of straightening things out that needed to be straightened out from the filming model, or in the interest of molding and casting. A few greeblies needed to be scratchbuilt, and also there are going to be some optional add on part in the way of turbo fans and afterburner plates. I will get into the exact details of all of this as the thread goes on but the important part of the new pattern is that it is proportionally correct to the filming model, and sized correctly, something that to my knowlege has not been offered in a SS Viper kit before, and what my goal with this project was........enjoy

Keep in mind that for these pics the Viper is just cobbled together with some double sided tape so everything is not 100% straight or where it needs to be i just wanted to get an idea of how it all looked together, not all parts are present in pics, also note that the comparision shot is with a JM Cumstom Replicas Viper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsg 064.jpg (354.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg bsg 068.jpg (375.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg bsg 072.jpg (318.3 KB, 268 views)
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God
Default Re: All New SS TOS VIPER PATTERN, 15 1/2 inches completly scratchbuilt new pattern.

Most excellent! Great work!

LOOK at that SIZE difference!!!

I am IN for FOUR please?

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Modelhead

Max Zephyr has disabled reputation
Default Re: All New SS TOS VIPER PATTERN, 15 1/2 inches completly scratchbuilt new pattern.

Very very nice work there Mike. This is going to be the best Viper yet!

"Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it."
--Somerset Maugham
Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Blue Screen Mad Man!

Kuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati GodKuhn Global Resin Illuminati God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Zephyr View Post
Very very nice work there Mike. This is going to be the best Viper yet!
You can say that again!

This is what we have all been wanting for years... a true sized SS beastie to the original that has no flaws!

"Choose to have a good day!" Michael J. Fox
Old 09-14-2008, 02:44 PM

79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God79 daytona Resin Illuminati God

WOW!!!! That looks GREAT!!

I have two of the JM kits one build and one not and i think there great kits but i can't wait to see how this one turns out.

You can put me down for two.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Feel the wrath of Boron!!

Lord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant futureLord Boron has a brilliant future

Yea!!! Definitely count me in for one. It'll look great next to my V2 Raider!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM

JohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant futureJohnLogan has a brilliant future

Oh Yea!! This is go'na be good!!
Can't wait to see more of this one.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Carson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to beholdCarson Dyle is a splendid one to behold

Looks good, Mike. Put me down for one.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Eats Roots,Shoots and Leaves

Wombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati GodWombat Resin Illuminati God

Cool!!!
Put me down for one!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 AM

Dobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant futureDobber has a brilliant future

Very nice!!!!

Chris
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 AM

RKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond reputeRKW has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mike, if you tell me I can still purchase a Raider then I want to buy one of these Vipers too! Looks perfect (or as near as damit).
Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM

DocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to allDocTor is a name known to all

put me on the list!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 AM

mslz22 has disabled reputation

The Raider kit is still available, thanks for the compliment, like i said some small liberties were taken with this but overall IMO it is very close to the filming model...
thanks
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKW View Post
Well Mike, if you tell me I can still purchase a Raider then I want to buy one of these Vipers too! Looks perfect (or as near as damit).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Zombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really niceZombie Killer is just really nice

This is very cool!!!
Please put me on the list pending pricing.

Thanks
Glen
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Bishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond reputeBishop37 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd like one too.